IGNORED

Tires and/or Mounting in Portland Oregon

szurszewski

Anybody have any experience having tires mounted in Portland? Planning to pull the wheels and take those to the shop for mount and balance. Haven't decided if I'll order tires and try to find a shop that will mount, or purchase from wherever I have them mounted.

Mainly, we're talking about my RT, but my wife's Vespa GT is also ready for a new rear (12")...

Thoughts?

thanks,

josh

I get my mail order tires mounted and balanced at Portland Motorcycle out by the airport. I think it's $25 per wheel off the bike. Western BMW in Tigard will not mount tires you bring in.

Thanks Bob - Portland motorcycle is just down the road from me, but I always hear mixed reviews about them, so I wasn't sure if it would be worth checking out.

I've got an email in to Daric at Cheshire Motorsports, and he's going to get me some prices including tires and mount/balance, so I'll see what that looks like, and then give Portland Motorcycles a call to see what they can do.

josh

What's your timeframe?

Wanna learn to do it yourself?

I have all the gear needed for the bimmer. Can't be too hard to improvise for the scooter. I will (teach you to) mount (tires) (by doing) for beer (for typical good natured bimmer types). Pm me and we can see if schedule works. I'm in Tigard.

I haven't had anyone mount tires (or turn a wrench) for me while living here. Have you tried Prokopf (greater pdx area) and/ or Jonas (Philomath) ?

Actually I'm a bit of a fan of Portland Motorcycle. I like the people especially Jim the parts guy who I've dealt with for years and David, the service guy. They've helped me out over the years like when I took out a deer on my RS without collision insurance. On my current bike (R1200RT) they've done the ignition antenna ring and brake line recalls and fixed a transmission leak under warranty. All the work was right the first time and mostly on time. I wish they were still in the old shop on 82nd but I still like it better than the boutique atmosphere of Western.

What's your timeframe?

Wanna learn to do it yourself?

I have all the gear needed for the bimmer. Can't be too hard to improvise for the scooter. I will (teach you to) mount (tires) (by doing) for beer (for typical good natured bimmer types). Pm me and we can see if schedule works. I'm in Tigard.

I haven't had anyone mount tires (or turn a wrench) for me while living here. Have you tried Prokopf (greater pdx area) and/ or Jonas (Philomath) ?

PM about to be sent - thanks very much for the offer, and I'd love to take you up on it. In fact, I'd love to get my own setup to do changes, but I have a tiny garage and don't ride many miles per year, so it would be hard to justify the cost and space.

Actually I'm a bit of a fan of Portland Motorcycle. I like the people especially Jim the parts guy who I've dealt with for years and David, the service guy. They've helped me out over the years like when I took out a deer on my RS without collision insurance. On my current bike (R1200RT) they've done the ignition antenna ring and brake line recalls and fixed a transmission leak under warranty. All the work was right the first time and mostly on time. I wish they were still in the old shop on 82nd but I still like it better than the boutique atmosphere of Western.

I haven't had much experience with them personally - just a few parts, and that's gone fine, so I hope I didn't come across as negative; I'm glad to hear you've had good experiences with them, and I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Is Jim the gentleman with the impressive beard? If so, he helped a friend out a couple summers ago with some very good advice regarding adding an electronic ignition to a /6.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to take advantage of Fugu's generosity and had a great time swapping rubber and BSing in his garage, but in case anyone digs this thread up later, here's a couple other things I found in my search:

Daric Cheshire of Cheshire Motorsports quoted me $87 to mount and balance a set of tires if I brought in the bike, or $70 if I just brought the wheels. He also offered to order tires for me and quoted prices within about $10 (per tire) of the best prices I could find online (for several flavors of rubber). If I had not been so fortunate as to receive and make use of the above offer, I would not have hesitated to pay Daric's price for the mount and the little bit extra for the rubber - I've been extremely pleased with his work and customer service in the past.

I also found that motorcyclesuperstore.com (from which I purchased a set of PR2s) has a preferred installer page. I won't link to it as it might change, but you can find it readily from their homepage. It looks like you get to be a preferred installer by sending them some $$, but they do list a number of places in Portland and have pricing info - maybe current, maybe not.

josh

Archived