IGNORED

Riding jacket and pants

Medic Mike

I know this topic has been asked and beating into the ground. I need to purchase a good 3 season armored 3 season jacket (fall-winter-spring). I have a tight budget of $200-$250 max. I also need to replace my riding pants as well with a budget of $150-$200. I would prefer armored pants, but not required.

Thanks everyone

Mike

All of my gear is either BMW (bought 2nd hand), or First Gear. Are you "normaly" sized, or do you have trouble fitting in stuff off the rack? That could be your biggest limiting factor, and why I always end up with the gear I have. Very few companies offer tall sizes.

So far, the best fall/winter/spring jacket I have used is the First Gear Katmandu. The outer shell is waterproof and it does great up until about 85 degrees.....then it starts getting a little toasty. For pants during those seasons I use First Gear HT2.0 overpants. They have been great for me, with my only complaint being that I wish they had better armor.

Might want to check out Motorcyclegear.com (formerly newenough.com) and motorcyclecloseouts.com and see what deals are going on right now.

Check this company out. You might be pleased.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/

I use their Airglide pants, with an AST model jacket in the Winter, a Bonneville in the Spring, Summer, early Fall. The Bonneville and pants have liners for rain/lower temps. The AST is supposed to be waterproof, but I haven't had the opportunity to test it yet. Another rider here made the point to make sure all of the zippers are well into their pockets to have a better chance of keeping the rain out.

Having lived in Raleigh a long time ago, I might be tempted to just go with the Bonneville jacket and the mesh pants and see if I could go year round with appropriate layering underneath in the colder weather, then you have a mesh jacket you can use in the summer as well.

I am planning to upgrade the hip pads to actual armor from Held, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Check this company out. You might be pleased.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/

I use their Airglide pants, with an AST model jacket in the Winter,

+1

I have the AST jacket, got it for $230 on Revzilla. Olympia recently re-designed the jacket I bet there are still deals to be had on the original version. I have been in many hours of downpour with this jacket and stayed bone dry and warm....as long as ALL of the vent zippers are fully closed ;)

I have also used the jacket up to 105 degrees....not recommended by with all the zips open and moving it was doable. Great jacket for winter and the cooler parts of fall and spring.

Thanks everyone I have looked heavily into the Olympias and the First Gear Katmandu. I have a First Gear mesh jacket that has done me very well for the past 2 summers down here in NC.

I am a fairly normal sized individual, 68" 175# so I can usually but off the rack. What I did last fall/winter was wear a light fleece shirt then my armored mesh jacket then either another heavy fleece jacket or/then my GoreTex EMS jacket. It stayed very very warm, but all this gear made very hard to move. This is why I am looking for a good 3 season jacket so I can hopefully not look like the kid from A Christmas Story on 1150RT cruising fown the road. I has not heard of motorcyclecloseouts before, so will head over there.

Also I have a side note. How many of you wear moto boots? I use an old pair of EMS all leather work boots made by Rocky. Just a curiousity I guess, but do actual moto boots really make that much of a difference? I understand the re-enforced toe areas for the shifter. Other than that, does it really matter?

Yes, of course it does! Reinforced shin area, waterproof, oil proof sole - the list goes on and on. Actually, I do it backwards. Instead of wearing crappy civilian boots to ride, I wear my MC boots casually. They're so damn comfy and warm. Use 'em to work outside, hike, snowmobile - you name it. They last forever and are no comparison functionally to workboots or whatever.

-MKL

NewEnough.com - now motorcyclegear.com often has good deals on not-the-latest model gear. I got a new XL FirstGear TPG Ranier for $149 last year. They have FirstGear Kilimanjaros on closeout for $189 and Kathmandu pants for $125. Closeout link to see if anything there flips your switch.

Damn that's a killer price for the Rainier. Love mine. That jacket with the liner will keep you warm.

Everyone here has excellent choices. Couldn't go wrong with any of these suggestions. I guess you need to figure out if you want to buy it second hand.

I wear a pair of mid calf mc boots. I think they are a must. I'd definately purchase a pair.

How many of you wear moto boots? I use an old pair of EMS all leather work boots made by Rocky. Just a curiousity I guess, but do actual moto boots really make that much of a difference? I understand the re-enforced toe areas for the shifter. Other than that, does it really matter?

I picked up a pair of Sidi 'Way' boots new for $99 several years ago after wearing flight/combat/cowboy boots that did ok, but were either a pain to lace or not waterproof. Should've gotten 2 pair at the time, they are a simple, waterproof comfortable boot. They've changed design and are much more expensive now. I wanted an absolutely waterproof boot for the cheapest price. They fit the bill. As a commuter the boots are easy to get in and out of and turned out to be great touring boots as well. I slipped into a pond one day and they held water like washbuckets and, surprisingly, air dried overnight. They are like old friends. I picked up a pair of A/S Combat Touring boots but have not even broken them in, because I like the Sidi boots that much. Would recommend any comfortable boot that serves the purpose, waterproof was a primary for me. BTW, these particular Sidi boots do not have any reinforced toe, under khakis they wear well at work too.

NewEnough.com - now motorcyclegear.com often has good deals on not-the-latest model gear. I got a new XL FirstGear TPG Ranier for $149 last year. They have FirstGear Kilimanjaros on closeout for $189 and Kathmandu pants for $125. Closeout link to see if anything there flips your switch.

Damn that's a killer price for the Rainier. Love mine. That jacket with the liner will keep you warm.

motorcyclegear.com is by far the best place I have EVER shopped for gear. I bought that Kilimanjaro last week, got it in 3 days, the wife ordered one and it was there the next day at noon with free shipping. Returns are a breeze and they work hard to make sure you are a happy customer. They also had a great deal on my last helmet.

Along with my gerbings vest, I can ride all winter.

I don't want to sound like a snob here but protective clothing, imho, is one of those things where price shouldn't be a priority. I think you need to buy the best possible protective gear that you can afford. You also need to make absolutely sure it fits correctly.

I often see guys who buy stuff because it was on sale or cheap or whatever and the jacket is generally too big. The arms are too big. If the rider hits the ground, the elbow armor is just going spin around and the protection you thought you had is gone.

Armor is critical. I know there have been many debates over CE this, CE that but if you just compare the "armor" is some of the cheaper jackets, it just feels like foam. Don't believe me? Compare the armor in the Olympia (which I have owned) to the reactive armor in the BMW jackets. No comparison. Yes, the BMW jacket is more expensive.

I know times are tough and there are a lot of accessories you want for your bike but protective stuff is not where you want to shave costs.

I know this isn't in your budget but check out motoport.com . They make some very high quality gear.

Good Luck

protective clothing, imho, is one of those things where price shouldn't be a priority. I think you need to buy the best possible protective gear that you can afford. You also need to make absolutely sure it fits correctly.

If you're limited to the best gear you can afford isn't price, then, a priority?

The OP asked about a 3-season jacket within a specific price range. $200-$250 may be cheap to some, but not to me. I have much gear including several jackets, not the least of which includes a one-piece Roadcrafter. Nice suit but I prefer my 'budget' Ranier and consider it no less protective quality. Just because I got a deal on it doesn't make it less than good gear (and even at 149, was not cheap... to me). I think most would agree with you that fit is critical. But finding good gear that fits doesn't mean you have to pay more just to pay more, imho.

I don't want to sound like a snob here but protective clothing, imho, is one of those things where price shouldn't be a priority.

I used FG and Olympia for many years, but after trying BMW, Aerostich, and Motoport, I must agree. Yes, it's a few hundred dollars more. When you feel the quality of the materials and armor vs. the second tier stuff, you start believing that, yes, it IS worth it. Made a believer out of me, anyway, and as my gear wore out I replaced it with only top shelf stuff. Jury's still out on my Motoport pants, however!

-MKL

...Also I have a side note. How many of you wear moto boots? I use an old pair of EMS all leather work boots made by Rocky. Just a curiousity I guess, but do actual moto boots really make that much of a difference? I understand the re-enforced toe areas for the shifter. Other than that, does it really matter?

I bit the bullet and bought a pair on Sidi On-Road Sympatex in 2002. I think they cost me about $300 Cdn. at the time. My wife thought it was about the dumbest purchase I've ever made...and I've made some dandies. In any event, the way the boots and I are both aging, I expect that they will be the last pair I ever need. I am predicting a lifetime cost of ownership of about $20.00/year which includes a re-soling sometime in the next couple of years. Since 2002, while riding in all kinds of weather, my feet have never been wet and never been cold although they have been damp from perspiration a few times. I also have some confidence, perhaps misguided, that if I have an unplanned departure from the motorcycle at some point in the future, the most minor injuries I suffer will be to my feet and ankles. I am also confident that no errant shoe laces will ever get caught up in any rotating stuff while I am riding. It's been worth the 20 bucks a year.

I should have probably stated this, but alas my worn out brain did not let me. The boots I am currently wearing are Paratrooper boots by Rocky. They have a side zip for easy on off. Retail, they were around $200. I have worn them riding now for the past year in all 4 seasons (well at least for Raleigh). Feet dry, warm and comfortable. I have been pondering purchasing moto boots, but at this time a jacket is my top priority.

I would love to own the BMW ComfortShell jacket and pant, but at a combined cost of over $1k that is a no go for a long time. I have a choice, keep riding with the low end gear I have and save my pennies for the top tier stuff, or go middle road until I can get the big guns.

General reply.

Working pt in a mc shop I've seen many after the crash results.

I've seen brand new Dariens wear completely through in a 40 mph low side and cheap Joe Rockets that didn't wear through w/impact at higher speed in the same area.

Anecdotal/empirical no doubt.

The critical areas, according to crash analysis, that most of us neglect are the legs and chest.

Next is the gloves.

If you are wearing a really good pair of gloves w/armaor/impact protection that is critical.

I see too many riders w/a good helmet and jacket and no leg protection but jeans.

Look at the data analysis of injury areas.

As stated a good fit is important but discussing the quality of one type of elbow/shoulder armor contrasted with another is noot as important, IMO, as extending better coverage to the legs and abdomen.

Best wishes.

General reply.

Working pt in a mc shop I've seen many after the crash results.

I've seen brand new Dariens wear completely through in a 40 mph low side and cheap Joe Rockets that didn't wear through w/impact at higher speed in the same area.

Anecdotal/empirical no doubt.

The critical areas, according to crash analysis, that most of us neglect are the legs and chest.

Next is the gloves.

If you are wearing a really good pair of gloves w/armaor/impact protection that is critical.

I see too many riders w/a good helmet and jacket and no leg protection but jeans.

Look at the data analysis of injury areas.

As stated a good fit is important but discussing the quality of one type of elbow/shoulder armor contrasted with another is noot as important, IMO, as extending better coverage to the legs and abdomen.

Best wishes.

Well said

Archived