IGNORED

When do you change your tires: Take 2?

blackyam

I change my tires when ...  

270 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi, everyone. I think much has been tossed about anent how many miles one gets on this brand tire or that. What I'm wondering is, When do you decide to change tires? As soon as you feel a difference in handling, even if the tires are not yet squaring off? As soon as you see that the tires are squaring off, even if the wear bars are not yet visible? Do you wait until the wear bars are visible, even if you feel a difference in handling? Do you wait until the wear bars are flush with the tread? Before a long trip regardless of wear indicators if you anticipate needed a new set before your return? None of the above?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

---John.

Of course, if there was a "When the cords start to show" category, it would certainly get a few votes.

What I need is, perhaps, the option to chose a variety of categories. I will ditch a 1/2 worn tire before a big trip, or push it to the bitter end, while waiting until payday. Maybe I can go back and vote again...

A combo of two choices for me:

1) I wait until the wear bars are flush with the tread

AND/OR

2) Before a long trip regardless of wear indicators if I anticipate needing a new set before my return

I cannot respond twice. I have spoken. Or typed, actually.

I'm only responding now to say I can't respond again.

I did add my own "none of the above". For me, that suffices.

dc

A combo of many choices for me:

1) I wait until the wear bars are flush with the tread or cord is showing, whichever happens first.

OR

2) Before a long trip regardless of wear indicators if I anticipate needing a new set before my return.

OR

3) Before riding off road on a dual sport tire if the tread depth is over 1/2 worn away.

OR

4) If the tire shows any sign of dry-rot, damage, etc.

OR

5) A tire with a nail or other object in it in a location that I don't consider fixable.

OR

6) If the tire is getting on in age (over say 5 years old) on a bike I don't ride often.

OR ........

Stan

AND/OR

2) Before a long trip regardless of wear indicators if I anticipate needing a new set before my return

That is exactly my situation. When I stay close to home and probably don't go pleasure riding with a heavy rain forecast, it is choice one. When I plan on a longer ride, I do everything I can to not needing a new tire away from home. I don't want to spend extra time and extra money on tires. It helps that I have a set of spare wheels, so it is easy to put a half used tire back on the bike. Replace a tire because it is getting too old? I don't have that problem... :)

That is exactly my situation. When I stay close to home and probably don't go pleasure riding with a heavy rain forecast, it is choice one. When I plan on a longer ride, I do everything I can to not needing a new tire away from home. I don't want to spend extra time and extra money on tires. It helps that I have a set of spare wheels, so it is easy to put a half used tire back on the bike. Replace a tire because it is getting too old? I don't have that problem... :)

Paul, that fits my profile and the fact that I change and balance my own makes it easy to get the most miles out of the tires.

AND/OR

DITTO, that's exactly my routine

I wait until the wear bars are flush with the tread

I live in SoCal and as a result of the fact that our roads are mostly dry, I have no concerns running down to the wear bars. I don't ride in the rain unless I'm unlucky enough to get caught out in it, and even then, I'll find a place to get out of it and wait till it passes.

I don't do my own tires or maintanance beyond oil changes and my nearest dealer is hundreds of miles away, so I incorporate my tire change into a "big trip" annually which includes a stop over at a favorable BMW dealer or good independant shop. I've done this on an annual basis, 15k miles or so, and its worked out quite well thus far...

AND/OR

DITTO, that's exactly my routine

another

AND/OR

+2

Paul, that fits my profile and the fact that I change and balance my own makes it easy to get the most miles out of the tires.

+3 ....I also have my own tire changer and balancer and use it for all my vehicles.

No mention of looking at the mileage? When I have a ride with less confidence in the curves, I check how long I've had the tires. If it's about 8k or more, I start looking closer at the tires for squaring and tread depth. From then on, it's like a missing filling and worries me until I get a new tire. But the mileage on the tire is a definate part of my equation; don't like to admit that I got less than I fell I should have.

----

I'll make sure I change the tire if I'm going to take a trip, but getting the time to take a trip is really not an option anymore.

I look at the tires and when the pattern is disappearing on one side of the rear or another, I order a tire and take the tire out for a final flogging. It's nice to roll in with marbles under your tail and watch the mechanic giggle. Also nice to feel the rear of the 1100 slide out of a corner under acceleration like on a more powerful and lighter bike ;)

Archived