IGNORED

Aircraft fuel in your RT ?

Jerry Johnston

Jerry Johnston

Has anyone used aircraft fuel in their RT1100 ? I was thinking of putting in a few gal. this winter since it’s more stable than automotive fuel. At least that’s what I’ve been told by a couple of my pilot friends. Most all gas stations in Washington have alcohol in the gas which I don’t desire either.

Afternoon Jerry

I presume you are looking at 100LL?

If so that still has a LOT of lead in it so if your 1100RT still has a catalytic converter or an 02 sensor the lead will probably damage those.

Remember most aviation gasoline engines are designed to operate at fixed RPM’s & at higher altitudes so the gasoline is formulated accordingly.

Most pump gasoline even with alcohol in it will easily make it through the winter (especially if you add a bit of Stabil to it).

If you are looking for longer term storage look into completely draining the fuel system after running the last tank of gasoline mixed with a bit of 2 cycle oil to lightly lubricate the injectors & fuel pump.

Or, do as I do for long term storage (a couple of years or more) & that is to drain the fuel then fill it with mineral spirits & a bit of 2 cycle oil mixed in. That has to be completely drained out before vehicle use but can be then used a cleaner in your parts washer.

If you are looking for gasoline with no alcohol for winter storage maybe look to your local boat marina on a local lake. Alcohol in gasoline & water craft don’t mix very well so some marinas sell non alcohol laced gasoline for marine usage. If you still have an 02 & cat. make sure it is NO lead gasoline though.

Jerry Johnston

Thanks for the response. I've got by using standard gasoline for the last 14 years, just thought maybe I wouldn't have to add Stabil if I used the aviation fuel but never even thought about the lead content.

Thanks again for your input.

DR makes good points Jerry. I strongly recommend using NON ethanol gas. We sell a lot of 93 octain non E gas at our marina fuel dock for motorcycles, lawn & garden equipment etc. Still a good idea to use Stabil, there are different color codes for different fuel. I spent most of this weekend doing carb jobs and cleaning fuel tanks on all my small engine inventory. Didn't realize I had so many until Hurricane Irene went through :cry:

What about "race gas"? Probably available only at tracks but it might not have the nasty ingedients?

If it's oxygenated fuel (like VP 100 or MS109) it's better not to leave it sitting in the tank for too long. Producers like Elf, Nutec and VP Racing swear their new crop of oxygenated fuels is not as nasty as the old one but it's better be safe than sorry. Typical track day procedure is to run the bike till it's on fumes, then fill it up with regular unleaded and run it a few laps more to clean the fuel system of any trace of oxygenated fuel.

If you are looking for a safe, easy to use racing fuel you may look into VP Racing C10, a non oxygenated unleaded fuel used in racing classes where the use of oxygenated fuel is forbidden.

I use 100LL in my 79R100RT, but as Dirt pointed out the bikes with catalytics = no no. My R100RT is kept in my hangar so when they top of my bird, I add a bit to the bike.

Recently found out that ethanol gas is REALLY not good for small 2-cycle engines like chainsaws, string trimmers, etc.

I wonder why. Mine run OK. That's all they get.

Recently found out that ethanol gas is REALLY not good for small 2-cycle engines like chainsaws, string trimmers, etc.

I wonder why. Mine run OK. That's all they get.

Evening Paul

New stuff is usually OK, it’s the older engines using fuel system parts (diaphragms, floats, needle tips, etc ) that were not alcohol proof so sometimes had issues if high alcohol fuel was stored in the fuel systems.

/Highjack

Look on the brite side... the Ducati guys are finding that it swells their plastic gas tanks... to the tune of 2k a pop!

I've got a couple of Ducs (one with the affected tanks), so I have been following this problem for a long time. I haven't had any problems with mine (yet?), but Ducati is replacing all the ones that I've read about free under the 5 year emissions warranty.

Since the replacements are the same as the originals, some have been replaced more than once by Ducati. Boat owners and other (principally European, from what I read) have been having problems too. A lot of Startron/Stabil being sold.....

/End Highjack

Usually commercial fuel centers have non-E10 fuel in 92 octane. That is all I run in my bikes, mowers, pressure washer, chain saw, etc.

If you can't get non-ethanol fuel, just add some of this to your tank the before you fill it and store it:

Stabil

I have also had good luck with:

Startron

It is also sold by my BMW dealer.

Archived