IGNORED

My front tire

rabbibgr

My 2011 RT has just over 6k and the front tire is just about gone. I've never had a front wear so quickly It is a Bridgestone BTO21. Usually my fronts last longer than the rears, in this case, the rear has plenty of life left. I maintain pressure of 38 front, 42 rear. The front is also very noisy. What seems to be the best replacement for long milage.

I like to look at the quality of the miles, rather than just the miles.

So my answer is Michelin. I've had the Bridgestones. Lousy. And I just replaced Conti's (lousy) with the PR3. World of difference. Night and day.

The feel, the smoothness, ...

dc

My 2011 RT has just over 6k and the front tire is just about gone. I've never had a front wear so quickly

Don't go to the Dunlop Road Smarts, 'cause they will act the same.

Same here,I had the stock Bridgstone on my 2011 RT. I had to cut my trip to the mountains short because the front sides was hashed and I had 700 mile ride back home.

I put Michelin RP3's, don't have many miles on them yet but so far I am happy with them.

put a set of 023 on last fall,changed them out at 10,000mi(16,000km) still some life left,liked them so much mounted a set on the rt again this summer

I've got about 1200 miles on a pair of Pirelli Angels, and I like them very much so far. They ride smooth and quiet, and have (for me anyway) a good, secure and even ride feel.

(Can't yet speak to their lifespan, but they look very good at ~1200 mi.)

Francois_Dumas

Always rode Metzelers, from Z4 to Z6. Front gave/gives me some 19.000 km on average. But the rears go quicker with 14-15.000.

Now changed to PR3's because I do not like the 'sudden' degradation of the Metzelers when they reach there write-off point.

I also ride quite a lot in wet weather and they say the Michelins are better for that.

I don't know if I am doing something wrong here but my mileages are WAY down yours. I am providing these data as a way of comparison.

Metzeler MeZ4 (on a VFR): considerably less than 4000 miles before the rear went flat and the front cupped.

Bridgestone BT021: 4000 miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR and the front was completely gone. By gone I mean bald, no thread remaining on the sides and only a little in the center.

Bridgestone BT020: OE on my RT. 4000 miles and both front and rear were gone.

Michelin PR2's are much better: I got over 6000 miles out of every set I've used so far. Very even wear.

Michelin PR3's. Currently on the first set, a tad less than 4500 miles on them. Still look good.

My RT came with Z6's which seemed fine. I just installed my 3rd set of tires, Z8's. They seem equally good. I got 14K miles on both sets. I commute mostly but have done a couple of long rides. No reason to change from Metzlers as yet.

Love the Bridgestone BT-023GT on the front and standard 023 on the rear as the 023 GT rear is only available in one size and it doesn't fit the 02RT. Just put the second front on after 7K miles and have a rear on the way to replace a RaodSmart that got less than 5K miles. Love the 023 wet and dry grip. Rear was $135.99 from Motorcycle Super Store.

I have been using PR2's since I bought the RT. My present front has about 18,000 km. It will have to be replaced in a couple thousand km's. Looking at a PR3.

I like to look at the quality of the miles, rather than just the miles.

So my answer is Michelin. I've had the Bridgestones. Lousy. And I just replaced Conti's (lousy) with the PR3. World of difference. Night and day.

The feel, the smoothness, ...

dc

I agree about the quality of the miles. I have tried the Conti's and enjoyed them for about 4,500 miles, the 021s and 023s with similar satisfaction, but keep coming back to the Metzlers. I am now trying the new Interact but only got 3K out of the rear and 2,800 out of the front and they were really blistered. There was plenty of tire left in the middle, but I think the softer compound on the sides scrubs off pretty quickly. The miles were in hot temps on twisty southern MO roads though, so I didn't expect the same life as I'd get under normal conditions.

Ride with what makes you feel safe ;)

CoarsegoldKid
My RT came with Z6's which seemed fine. I just installed my 3rd set of tires, Z8's. They seem equally good. I got 14K miles on both sets. I commute mostly but have done a couple of long rides. No reason to change from Metzlers as yet.

All I can say is WOW. You're going to screw up the average.

Well whatever you are doing keep it up!! I bought my 02 used and the PO said he got about 6K out of rears and he was right on!! I ran mine down to the belt right on schedule (6K). :cry:

Archived