IGNORED

R1200RT Tank Bag

LBump

Hoping to get others opinions, likes and dislikes, on a tankbag for the 1200RT? Before purchasing a BMW stock bag I'd like to know what else might be availabe. It seems that my favorite BigMak bag can't be used on the 1200. Thanks in advance for any information.

I have a FAMSA tankbag. Really nice piece of kit and I got it last year for 1/3 of the genuine BMW one. Price has increased substantially this year but it's still way cheaper than BMW.

BMW offers a tank bag partition kit allowing you to set up custom interior compartments. If you have the rear fender extender and the glove box sack, you'll want this tank bag kit.

Morning lgb

I have both the BMW (OEM) tank bag & a Big Mak custom bag attached to a stock BMW base plate. They both have their places & usages.

The BMW (OEM) removable tank bag is nice on long trips or on camping trips but for me just too darn large for day to day use.

The Big Mak on a BMW base plate is just peachy for day to day stuff & is small enough to be totally out of the way for most spirited riding & ease of moving around on the bike.

I’m not sure if Mark at Big Mak is still making the bags that fit a BMW base plate but if he is & you can come up with a base plate it’s well worth the time & money to get one set up.

It's amazing that no one has fabricated the base plate out of injection molded plastic or aluminum or something else and put it up for sale. Maybe there are patent issues.

I have the BMW tank bag on mine. When they say it's waterproof, they're not kidding. It survived a Yellowstone monsoon last year and kept everything dry. It was pricey, but so far so good.

I have a Wolfman Expedition tank bag that works great. Easy to mount and worked fine on a 400 mile trip last weekend. I like the extra pockets to separate small stuff from the camera, gloves, etc.

The thing I hate about the stock BMW bag is that it is basically a duffel bag on your tank: no pockets, no separate sections. Just a big pit where everything gets jumbled around. Big Mac is smaller but also has no pockets. Plus the shape really sucks (the way the sides flair out. I've see guys take the frame and re-mount a Jesse, a Wolfman, or even an RKA. I'm converting my to an RKA when I get back from Torrey. I like the separate compartments for the upper section from the lower on the RKA.

Hoping to get others opinions, likes and dislikes, on a tankbag for the 1200RT? Before purchasing a BMW stock bag I'd like to know what else might be availabe. It seems that my favorite BigMak bag can't be used on the 1200. Thanks in advance for any information.
I have the BMW bag on the 1200 and pine for the BM bag I had on my 1150 (the BM Diamond - small enough for stuff but not so big I put too much crap in it). I really miss being able to just flip the bag up to fill the gas tank. Taking the BMW bag off & on, while not hard, is still more of an issue than just flipping up/down. Gotta find a place to put it, remember to make sure I zipped it last time I was in it so everything doesn't spill all over the ground when I put the bag down :P ...pick it up again, weegil it back into place while seated (or get up) and latch it back on. Oh & hope I didn't put it to the left & behind me a bit so it melted on the exhaust. (I'm left handed so I tend to pull up to the gas pumps with them on my left so it's easier to reach over & slide my card - rarely get off the bike when refueling.)

I'm going to grab a small bag like the Diamond's 2ish inch height and fab a flip solution for it. Winter project!

I have the bmw stock bag. Easy on easy off, keeps things cold/hot, roomy, lockable with some mods. Here is a used one: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=723540#Post723540

Howdy LJ, could you shed some light on how the bag can lock on?

Hello Jacobsen,

Here are some ideas: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24712

There was a thread on here that had some pics a while back. I'll try to find.

Morning lgb

I have both the BMW (OEM) tank bag & a Big Mak custom bag attached to a stock BMW base plate. They both have their places & usages.

The BMW (OEM) removable tank bag is nice on long trips or on camping trips but for me just too darn large for day to day use.

The Big Mak on a BMW base plate is just peachy for day to day stuff & is small enough to be totally out of the way for most spirited riding & ease of moving around on the bike.

I’m not sure if Mark at Big Mak is still making the bags that fit a BMW base plate but if he is & you can come up with a base plate it’s well worth the time & money to get one set up.

Wow.. that is the exact same setup I have. I purchased a beatup stock bag here to get the baseplate. I love the quick on/off baseplate setup but BMW's bag is just a *giant bag*. No way to organize it and it's just too big for day to day use.

That being said, I use the BMW bag for long trips because of the size. I just wish there was some more organization in it...

BMW offers a tank bag partition kit allowing you to set up custom interior compartments. If you have the rear fender extender and the glove box sack, you'll want this tank bag kit.

I have neither of the other items, but I'm actually interested in a partition kit for the bag. That's my biggest beef with it.. it's just a giant bag. Do you have a link for said partition kit? Can't find it with a casual search...

Archived