IGNORED

GPS advice?

CharlieAllnut

CharlieAllnut

I'm an old map-and-compass kind of navigator, but I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting some kind of GPS to mount on a BMR shelf. I don't care to have a constant commentary for each turn, just want to know where I am at any given stop. Sometimes I enjoy getting around by dead reckoning, so an electronic compass feature would be fun. Any suggestions as to what I might get that won't break the bank? As Always, thanks in advance.

Okay, I'll start sounding like a neanderthal. Search around for a refurbished Garmin StreetPilot GPS. Look in the Amazon Marketplace or search Google. You can probably get a 2610 for under $150, maybe under $100. Others might recommend newer models - NUVI for around the same amount, but the StreetPilot is a real motorcycle GPS. It's waterproof, does auto-routing, holds 50 saved trips (routes), can upload and download trips and waypoints. I've got a 2720 and a 2610, and I still like the 2610 for it's button functions and ease of use.

I loved my 2610 and would still have it today but the maps were no longer available. I used a Nuvi 765T for a year and a half but it is not waterproof. My buddy has a 2820 that uses the NT maps which are still supported. It also has Bluetooth which the 2610 did not.

Good luck.

Terry

I noticed from the user reviews that if you're using the Street Pilot 2610 with Windows XP, you might need to make some edits to your registry!

Used Garmin Zumo 450 on this site or ADVRider usually go in the $375-450 range.

Garmin 2820 mentioned above in the $250 plus range.

Can get a 2610,2720 or 2730 for $100-300 plus,depending on model and still have functional maps for your purpose.

BMW Nav ll or Nav lll also out there,equivalent to Garmin 2610 and 2820.

Also look for the Garmin Nuvi 500 which is a waterproof unit of smaller size with

Preloaded NT series maps(current)

Garmin 60 or 62,76 or 78 series are all handheld units that can be found in the

$200 range and accept current NT maps.

Lots of choices out there.

JR 356

I've used a 2610 for the last 5 years. It's worked fine with Windows XP since the first day I plugged it in.

The maps are 4-5 years old but how many new roads have been built since then? Not a big deal to me.

I like my Tomtom XL. Got it new, on sale at Target, for about $130. Ram makes a nice mount and bracket for it.

If you're not needing to input much and just want an electronic guide dog, any GPS is good, you don't need to shell out for the bike-specific ones. Plus, you can use them in the cage easily.

Used Garmin Zumo 450 on this site or ADVRider usually go in the $375-450 range.

Garmin 2820 mentioned above in the $250 plus range.

Can get a 2610,2720 or 2730 for $100-300 plus,depending on model and still have functional maps for your purpose.

BMW Nav ll or Nav lll also out there,equivalent to Garmin 2610 and 2820.

Also look for the Garmin Nuvi 500 which is a waterproof unit of smaller size with

Preloaded NT series maps(current)

Garmin 60 or 62,76 or 78 series are all handheld units that can be found in the

$200 range and accept current NT maps.

Lots of choices out there.

JR 356

The Quest or Quest 2 might interest the OP also. They are good, basic "streetpilot like" GPSs that are small, light, and can be powered by their internal battery. Sometimes that's all someone needs. I have two Quests....they are used often in my rentals (mc and car) and on my basic little, unpretentious Triumph Bonnivell.. A 26/27/28xx might look too big, but the little Quest looks fine.

Archived