IGNORED

Extended Warranty Experience

malcolmblalock

malcolmblalock

Hello. My 09 RT soon will be out of warranty (32,700 miles) and I'm considering purchasing an extended warranty. I've had some bad luck with expensive repairs (05 RT), and have already had the final drive replaced on the new bike. So, I feel a bit snakebitten.

What I would like are reports of experiences USING an extended warranty. What was broken on the bike? Were you satisfied with your claim? Which company did you use? Other relevant information to consider in deciding whether or not to buy the coverage?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Only once did I ever use an extended warranty (and I'm somewhat on the 'old' side.)

That was 1995.

Recently I had to redo the rear axle (my labor and $910 in parts) on my F800ST.

It was six months out of warranty. But the extended warranty would have been far more than that.

My R1200RT just ran out of warranty. And I did not extend it. It also would have been quite a bit more than $1,000 and that will buy a lot of parts.

I would like to do any necessary labor, 'cause it's fun, and also to assure myself that it is done 100% right.

dc

I purchased an Extended Warranty from Western service, for my 05 RT1200....After a lot of problem's while it was under Factory Warrrnty, only problem on Extended Warranty is a Cam chain tensioner.Ext.War.expires in a couple of Months' 50,000 Mi....Its' a Crap Shoot....

Only once did I ever use an extended warranty (and I'm somewhat on the 'old' side.)

That was 1995.

Recently I had to redo the rear axle (my labor and $910 in parts) on my F800ST.

It was six months out of warranty. But the extended warranty would have been far more than that.

My R1200RT just ran out of warranty. And I did not extend it. It also would have been quite a bit more than $1,000 and that will buy a lot of parts.

I would like to do any necessary labor, 'cause it's fun, and also to assure myself that it is done 100% right.

dc

The extended warranty on my 07 RT was less than $900. I don't normally purchase extended warranties but the way I was racking up miles, the factory warranty was done in 18 months due to the mileage restriction. The extended warranty paid for a couple of transmission oil seals as well as the ignition lockout switch on the clutch lever. The bike now has over 125k and I still have over four months of extended warranty remaining.

I don't usually buy extended warranties, but I did when I bought my 07 RT. It was with Pinnacle and cost about $700. Several months past the mfg warranty by ABS died. The $2100.00 replacement cost me $34.00.

No problems at all,

Rod

bought the pinnacle extended warranty for my 07 rt ,first thing replaced was the sight window because it was seeping,next the drive shaft was replaced at 50,000 miles,my cost was 45.00,the warranty runs out in 2014,both times they took care of the problem without hesitation,would recommend them,and i will get it again on my next bike.

Joe at Irv Seaver in Orange suggested I buy the extended warranty for $2400(!). I waited for him to bust out laughing. He didn't. Like David says, that money will buy an awful lot of parts. So far my RT (29K) has been perfect. I plan on doing as much of the work myself as I feel comfortable doing.

I bought an extended warranty at Seaver's for under 1K for 5 years,...covers pretty much everything. 838 miles out of warranty I needed a $2400 repair. Glad I bought it.

Should say my bike was perfect before this, never had any mechanical issues. Seems perfect again....but I have another 5 years piece of mind.

I'm wondering if I can extend the unlimited mileage BMW tow package....25 miles would do nothing for me. Even 100 miles isn't enough.

Joe at Irv Seaver in Orange suggested I buy the extended warranty for $2400(!). I waited for him to bust out laughing. He didn't. Like David says, that money will buy an awful lot of parts. So far my RT (29K) has been perfect. I plan on doing as much of the work myself as I feel comfortable doing.

I bought a 4k mi used 07 RT along with Pinnacle Ext War. Ins. So far they have replaced the FD with a totally new one; replaced the fuel sensor [my words]; and today have verbally approved the replacement/repair of my transmission rear seal that is leaking.

my cost was in the $1100 range and I have been out of pocket $50 with co-pay.

Wouldn't consider a BMW without the ext war. ins. and would most likely go with Pinnacle.

RT now with 95k miles...

Archived