IGNORED

Harley Road Tech Zumo 665

kltk165

While looking around for a Zumo 665 I came across the Harley Road Tech Zumo 665. From what I can determin it's the same unit as the plain Garmin Zumo 665 with Harley dealers pre loaded and it's black with the words "Road Tech" printed on the casing. It comes with the XM antenna too. Again, from what I could tell, it looks like everything you would get in the Garmin box comes in the Harley box.

The upsides? Two year warranty instead of one year for the Garmin and if you go to the Surdyke Harley Website you can get it for $639.96 vs $799.99. Use the promo code 10SHIP299 and shipping is $10. Atleast that's what it was to my zip code. Without the code it was a whopping $51 for shipping. go figure.

Morning kltk165

I know little about the Harley version of the Zumo 665 but have some friends with the older Harley Zumo 550.

Before spending the money on the Harley version do some research to see if the Garmin 665 updates will work on the Harley unit. Some of the older Zumo 550’s were not able to accept the Garmin updates as the Harley version had slight differences in the operating software.

It might not be a problem with the 665 but worth looking into before buying a unit you can’t update with common Garmin updates.

D.R. Interesting. The "Buell" branded 550 had none of those update issues. I wonder what the differences were that caused the HD version not to allow the updates???

D.R. Interesting. The "Buell" branded 550 had none of those update issues. I wonder what the differences were that caused the HD version not to allow the updates???

Morning wbrissette

I don’t know. The BMW Zumo 550 was the same way (wouldn’t take Garmin updates) when it was first released but something changed after awhile & towards the end it would accept the Garmin voice & internal updates.

Maybe the later Harley & Buell units had the same thing happen.

• 1 month later...

I went ahead and purchased the HD Road Tech Zumo 665 from Surdyke.com and just completed an 1800 mile long weekend to southeast Ohio. It appears the promo code noted in my original post is no longer valid. A kind e-mail to Surdyke asking for free shipping, they came back with $10 shipping. I was ok with that. They said to call in the order and they would arrange the $10 shipping. I was away for a few days before I could get to calling and came home to a free shipping promotional e-mail from Surdyke (sometimes it pays to be on mail lists). I ordered the 665 online without any issue. I then ordered this 3 year extended warranty from Mack Camera for GPS up to $1000 for $17 + $5.00 shipping through Amazon. The Mack warranty starts when the two year HD/Garmin warranty runs out giving 5 years of coverage for $22. Save your receipts!

I really like this unit. First thing I did when I received it was bring the maps and software up to date. No problems with registering it or receiving updates from the Garmin website. I also purchased a Gamin NuMaps lifetime updates card and also had no trouble registering the lifetime updates to the unit. Successfully paired and connected my BMW Comm system Bluetooth headset to it. Connects much faster than with the 550 on power up. However, it does not play nice at all with a HTC Droid Incredible Smartphone. It will pair but will not connect. I found a 12 page HTC community forum discussion on the problems with this phone and Bluetooth connectivity. What's strange is that it works great with the 550 but will not connect to the 665. Oh well, I was eligible for a discounted phone upgrade anyway.

The controls are very easy to navigate. If you're familiar with the Zumo 550 you'll get it right away. The "Arrival Time" display has been removed from the main display and is now in the Trip Data details by pressing either the lower right or left speed button. The 3D map display is real nice and provides great detail, unfortunately, the speed indicator display seems smaller than on the 550 and can be tough to see sometimes, especially when it turns red when you're over the speed limit. I REALLY like the speed limit display. It's 90% accurate as I found some roads where the speed was not displayed correctly. Both to the high and low side. One feature I found that is REALLY cool is when you're on the road and search for a Point of Interest (Food, fuel, etc) then select a POI from the search list a small pop-up will display the actual mileage to the stop. Where the results from the search only show mileage as the crow flies to the establishment and can be WAY off the mark in actual miles. I haven't played with this feature too much and I'm not sure if it only does that if you select "Near>My current Route" or if it does that no matter the search criteria. A2DP audio is nice and has more volume than the 550. XM works fine and the audio is good. It would be nice to have a separate bass/treble setting on the Zumo for audio. Not the end of the world though. I turned on the XM NAV/Weather feature. Haven't been near inclement weather yet so I can't speak to how it works as far as notifications for weather. I did use it on my way to NYC and got prompts about traffic up ahead. Pretty cool. Fuel gauge now counts DOWN from your mileage setting instead of UP TO your setting. There may be a way to change this, I haven't looked in to that yet. Maybe some more time with my manual will help.

Loading routes is a no brainer if you've loaded routes from Mapsource before. My Windows 7 PC recognized the 665 right away and I had no issues sending routes to it. What's a PITA is the darn battery cover door has to be installed before the unit will come all the way up. If you're loading routes once in a while it's not that big a deal, but if you're loading multiple routes you still have to load them one at a time (I know how to load multiple routes at once. I don't do it as it gave me mixed results once and I lost confidence in it) and install the battery cover, import the route, open the battery cover, reconnect the 665 etc.. Another nice thing is that the XM does not require hard power like the 550. XM plays as long as the 665 is in the cradle. Kinda nice when you're getting fuel and the music keeps playing.

The unit has powered off on it's own twice. Typical Zumo behavior. My 550 has done that a couple of times. As long as it powers back up and reloads the route I'm not all that bothered by it.

Hope you found this helpful.

Nice report! Yup, the battery cover deal is a step backwards IMO but, can live with it. A friend is looking to buy the Road Tech version also, I'll pass this along. :thumbsup:

Pat

Nice report.

The "Arrival Time" display has been removed from the main display and is now in the Trip Data details by pressing either the lower right or left speed button

The data shown on the screen is selectable. Press on the desired main display field to show the trip data details screen, then press the desired field to set what is displayed on the main display.

It does get better. I bought one the other day and they originally quoted $51 for shipping and with a friendly e-mail they dropped it to $17.50. I did a search online for this GPS and found that they are offering free lifetime North America map upgrades (a $90 value) as long as you buy the unit from an authorized Harley dealership (which Surdyke is..). Here's the link for the offer:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Genuine_Motor_Accessories/advanced_audio/ZumoRebate_2011.pdf

Don

Wouldn't you know it. The offer is good for units purchased between 10/15/2011 and 12/31/2011. My order invoice date is 10/11/2011. Oh well.

Archived