IGNORED

BMW Comfort Shell Jacket, need inpput

ryan_a1982

Hello!

I have the option of purchasing a new BMW Comfort Shell jacket for $399 instead of $750, so I think it may be too hard to pass up. It fits great and gets pretty wonderful reviews. I saw some threads from a couple of years ago that people liked it a lot.

Can anyone chime in on likes/dislikes after having the jacket for a couple of years. I live in Northern California and it gets really hot here. I will probably use this jacket for commuting everyday of the year, but a mesh jacket on hot summer rides.

Thanks for the input.

-Ryan

I have about 25-30K miles in my CS jacket and pants, in temps. ranging from 15F to 110F, in rain and hail and sunshine.

I generally wear a wicking long sleeved t-shirt down to about 65F, then add a heated liner jacket, and then a wool sweater over the liner if it's really cold. This combination is easy to pack and very effective. When the temp's over 75F I start opening vents, and when it gets over 90F I hydrate and endure. (This seems to be debatable, but I don't understand the benefit of a blast of 105F air through a mesh jacket, in dry heat anyway - so I don't use mesh).

In rainy conditions, I can get a somewhat wet neck and seat - haven't really tried to mitigate those issues yet.

Fortunately I have no get-off experience with the CS, but the quality of the armor, textiles, and construction seems to be first class. Also, I appreciate that this gear is available in tall sizes.

Something I heard at the dealer a few days ago is that BMW is discontinuing the Comfort Shell gear for 2012 - which may explain the good pricing now available.

Sailorlite,

Thanks for the response! Good to know they discontinued it. I just purchased a new suit last weekend (for a wedding, not riding) and I feel I shouldn't spend the $$ on the jacket now. At least I didn't buy it yesterday and I am at least taking a couple of days to think about it, that is a first for me! ;)

-Ryan

I would find it difficult to pass on at that price.

The ComfortShell pioneered the Schoeller c-change waterproof membrane that was then fitted to the upmarket Streetguard 3 suit.

To hit target market prices and lower cost - BMW will also downgrade the waterproof membrane. The Rallye Pro 3 suit now has a BMW Climate membrane rather than its predecessors Goretex membrane. IOW the ComfortShell's replacement might be a less-highly specified suit.

I couldn't resist. I went and purchased it during my lunch break. Hopefully it is worth it! John - I liked your input about the material and how it may be moving on to other garments that out price the CS even further.

I'm sure at almost 50% off it will be.

-Ryan

Kathy, I almost walked out with it yesterday but I only stopped by A&S because I was in the neighborhood in my work truck. I didn't have any intent on going in there and finding a jacket I would want to buy. I guess that is why my wife doesn't like me stopping by that place ;) So yes, a very little push was all I needed.

-Ryan

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Gosh Ryan, I wish I worked with you. I like getting people into trouble....that way I'm not the only one.

It took threatening the guy down the hall with moving his office into the womens restroom to get him to buy a R1100RT last year.

Peter,

I just had dinner with a new guy that works with you. His name is Phil and he just moved to Folsom on contract from Boeing in CO. He works on motor control stuff. Not sure if that is your gig, but if you see him you can try to talk him into a Beemer! LOL. I think that would really get him hin trouble.

We still need to get out for a ride! The weather is nice. RT or dual-sport, either way I'll have fun.

-Ryan

You will not regret your purchase. I don't regret mine, even at the regular price. I've had mine for 4 years now, crash-tested it, tested it from zero to forty centigrade, storm and sunshine, and it's still going strong. Never leaked, just enough room under the jacket for extra layers as required, and no silly waterproof liners to faff about with.

I'm shocked to see it might be discontinued. I might have to go and buy another suit quick, so I have a spare ready, I think it's that good.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I think that would really get him hin trouble.

We'll just have to see what can be done!

You're welcome to come down to Mammoth in four weeks for DS riding. At least two other 650s, mine and Sacto929s. Hopefully it won't be too cold. Depending on fit (backwards?), there may be room on my little trailer.

Archived