IGNORED

Question about Bill(Rocky) Mayer seat??

johnhunter44

I have a 2009 RT and am interested in having Bill (Rocky) Mayer customize my seat. 5"9" 30" inseam, so Russell is out due to my height. I called him and love the look of his smooth leather seats, especially the black seat he has as a pic on the silver RT on his web site. The front part of the passenger seat is trimmed in silver leather and looks nice. Here is my question. I have heated seats and he said that leather will take shape as to what is under it, so if i retained the heated seat, eventually the heating elements would imprint on the leather. I got the impression that one would be happier about the looks without the heat. He doesn't use stitching in his seating panels, they are smooth. I do not want to do away with heated seats because I ride year round and I do like the heat. Has anyone gotten a seat re done by Bill Mayer with the smooth leather and kept the heated seat feature? If so, do you see the heating elements? Pics would be soooo nice....Thanks

His brother Rick built a seat for me in leather & kept the heating element with no issues. I think, but I'm not sure on this, he put a thin layer of foam between the heat pad & the leather cover.

Pat

Does your seat have stitching in the seat pan? When I go to corbin's web site, it says that heated seats must have the stitching in the seat, I assume to mask this, but only assume.

Go with the matte black vinyl and keep the heated option. You won't have to worry about the leather getting wet in the rain. You can't see the leather when you're sitting on it anyway.

I had Rocky build a smooth, leather seat for my 08 GT when it was new. He retained the BMW heating elements and they have never shown through the leather. It has always been smooth and works just fine.

Does your seat have stitching in the seat pan? When I go to corbin's web site, it says that heated seats must have the stitching in the seat, I assume to mask this, but only assume.

Yes, Rick's seats have stitching.

Pat

I had a Bill Mayer seat with the stock heating element on my K1300GT. The outline of the heater was very visible in the seat and it really bugged me. He tried to fix it a few times but in the end, it was still apparent. I think its because of the smooth, unstitched top of the seat. BUT, the seat was very comfortable. If I bought a seat from Bill again I would leave the heater out.

Go with the matte black vinyl and keep the heated option.
I'll second that. The black vinyl is probably the best looking & feeling vinyl I've seen. People have commented on the "leather seat" :-) I kept the heat, use the heat and have no marks from the heating panel or whatever is in there. And yep, it's waterproof too!

BTW, his company provided some of the best customer service I've ever experienced. I shipped the old seat and the day it arrived I got a call from one of the techs (Aaron?) who was going to craft my seat. He asked me again about ht/wt/riding style, verified my order - vinyl, heated, etc. asked if I had any changes in what I sent them earlier in terms of riding type, gear, whatever and then told me it would be back on the UPS truck the next day. And it was. Took 2 weeks in total but 12 days of that were with UPS shipping. I'd recommend Rocky to anyone!

Hey Digger Jim,

I sure would love to see a pic of your seat in the vinyl. That might be the solution. Can you detect any discomfort from the breathability or anything like that? Thanks...

I'd post one but I'm pic post challenged. I'll pm you so we can trade emails & I can send you one that way.

No issues with butt sweating, comfort or breathability. But I've tried just about every seat add-on...beads, sheepskin, AirHawk and never noticed any difference in riding with those so maybe I'm butt insensitive :)

Anyone else have a Bill Mayer seat covered in vinyl instead of leather that could post some pics? Just wanting to see how closely the vinyl compares to the leather in appearance. Thanks.

I'll second that. The black vinyl is probably the best looking & feeling vinyl I've seen. People have commented on the "leather seat" :-) I kept the heat, use the heat and have no marks from the heating panel or whatever is in there. And yep, it's waterproof too!

BTW, his company provided some of the best customer service I've ever experienced. I shipped the old seat and the day it arrived I got a call from one of the techs (Aaron?) who was going to craft my seat. He asked me again about ht/wt/riding style, verified my order - vinyl, heated, etc. asked if I had any changes in what I sent them earlier in terms of riding type, gear, whatever and then told me it would be back on the UPS truck the next day. And it was. Took 2 weeks in total but 12 days of that were with UPS shipping. I'd recommend Rocky to anyone!

X3. I have the Rockey Mayer vinyl seats and people always think they are leather. Wipe them off if it rains, 700 mile days are no problem. I used to use an alaska sheep skin pad but find the seat is more comfortable without. Couldn't be happier

I have a Bill Mayer vinyl seat on my 2008 RT with heated seat option. The heating element is somewhat visible, but the seat is comfortable and in the hot summer months I cover the seat with a sheep skin. I had a leather Bill Mayer on my 2002 RT and I prefer the vinyl. No maintenance and no worries about the rain.

X3. I have the Rockey Mayer vinyl seats and people always think they are leather. Wipe them off if it rains, 700 mile days are no problem. I used to use an alaska sheep skin pad but find the seat is more comfortable without. Couldn't be happier

+4

Archived