IGNORED

What Happens When You Put Your Foot...

Well I hope all the clamor I unwillingly caused has subsided.

Just know Divine Justice has struck me with the right punishment. ;)

While stopping in the Kaunertal (Austria) I put my foot on some cow poo. I lost grip and the bike went down so slowly I had time to go from "Please stop right now" to "#@##@!" before the bike landed on its side.

I think this is the worst case scenario that can happen when parking the bike on its side from a standstill.

Right side case cover

Right side head cover

Right side front indicator (this was a surprise)

Right side spark plug cover

Right side engine guard (split in three points... thanks a lot BMW)

Nothing else.

Thanks to the magic of duct tape and no leak from the head cover I was able to ride home. Tomorrow I am ordering everything from the dealer. Apart from the indicator which is a bit of a pig job it looks like easy (yet expensive) fix.

Lesson learned: when there's cow poo, turn around.

So now part two of the post.

The BMW head guards are obviously useless since they failed to prevent damage even from a standstill. Anyone have experience with the Touratech engine bar?

Also... I've noticed Wunderlich has a side case bar similar to the one fitted to Police bikes. Will it prevent further damage to the side cases? Wunderlich Side Case Bar

Thanks

I have the Touratech engine guard bars and they work great. I've dropped mine on the side and the head/valve cover was completely protected. Just minor scratch on the bars such that you can't even see it unless you get on your knees. Great product. Having said that, I do have to remove them (at least part of them) when removing the covers for a valve adjustment). The Wunderlich engine guard bars do not have to be removed so I'd look at them if I were getting new ones.

I will definitely skip the side case bars. They may be a good idea, but I actually take the side cases off if I am going for just a motorcycle ride, without carrying/taking anything, which I do once in a while.

Then it's nice to have the bike look like a motorcycle, rather than a land yacht.

dc

I have Wunderlich bars on my 06RT. They would probably prevent the damage that your bike suffered. They are also expensive to buy. They were a pita to install because the holes in the bars do not line up correctly. I had to pry and even ream out some holes to get them on. The quality of the hardware is poor. The button head allen screws strip out easily. I replaced most of the hardware with socket head allen screws from my local hardware store. The bars need to be removed to access the front engine cover. Replacing the alternator belt or the front shock means removing the bars. My next bike will probably use something like the Machinart head covers.

BTW cleaning cow poop off of your boots and bike should make your repairs much sweeter :grin:

Thanks for the replies.

Tomorrow, after the dealer will take care of removing the smile I have now on my face, I will consider the options for avoiding keeping his children into caviar and champagne in the future. :thumbsup:

Again thanks for the recommendations.

Either the chap at the dealer was in a very good mood or he got the order wrong as the total is substantially less than I feared: 650€, minus the cylinder head "guard" I've decided to do without. They also threw in a fender extension in my order.

Still bloody expensive for a tipover but not as bad as I expected.

I've already ordered the Touratech engine bar (300€) and I am considering the Wunderlich case bars: at 195€ they aren't that expensive.

Most expensive trip I ever took... except when I totaled the VFR. :cry:

On my R1150RT I've used the BMW plastic engine guards for several years. Dropped the bike several times from a stopped position, never a problem to ether the guard or valve covers (or any other part of the bike for that matter). Maybe a difference in design between the 1150RT and the 1200RT.

On my R1150RT I've used the BMW plastic engine guards for several years. Dropped the bike several times from a stopped position, never a problem to ether the guard or valve covers (or any other part of the bike for that matter). Maybe a difference in design between the 1150RT and the 1200RT.

Yes, I suspect as much. Dealer told me he has seen these engine guards explode in as many as six pieces from a standstill so wasn't too surprised when I didn't order a replacement guard and decided for a proper engine bar. I think it's due in part to the plastic used (very thin and not reinforced near the front attachment) and part to a design which puts style over protection.

I dropped mine in the driveway a few months back. When I realized that my bad leg was not going to hold her up, I ejected myself off and she rolled right up on her side completely! The vale cover guard(plastic) only had a scuff. The mirror popped off(no damage) and the left side-case had two scuffs at the front outer points. I guess I got lucky.

Archived