IGNORED

Carrying a netbook/computer on a bike

Rex R

(first, I'm sure there's a more appropriate forum for this thread, but I'm not sure where it belongs. So, feel free to move it for us Mr/Ms Moderator. Thanks.)

Anyone have any experience carrying a laptop/netbook or ipad on a bike? Is it practical or even possible without the vibration destroying the computer in short order?

I carry my laptop in the topcase on a regular basis with no problem. I carry it in a laptop case which is on top of other items - first aid kit, rags, maps etc - which serve to isolate it from vibation.

Andy

I commute 20 miles, about 50 minute in Atlanta stop and go traffic every day. My laptop is in a soft laptop bag in my GIVI 52L top case. Usually some work out clothes underneath it, and my lunch on top. I tend to ride with no side bags.

Been doing that since 1999 never had a problem yet. I recently purchase an Aprilla Tuono, and as soon as i can get the top case mounted securly I will do the same on the Tuono.

I have carried first a laptop, then a netbook and most recently an iPad on my RT. These were for long-distance rides of three to five weeks, not daily commuting. I packed them in between layers of clothes in the top case. I never had an issue. I've just bought (actually a gift from my wife who wants her iPad back) a MacBook Air, which will be what I carry with me on the bike.

I just started doing the netbook thing on trips. A netbook lets me download Garmin maps to the GPS as I travel --creating new routes on the fly -- it's also more functional than a ipad. If you're considering a netbook look for one with a solid state hard drive. This eliminates the issues inherent with vibration and spindle hard drives. Netbooks are pretty cheap these days...a couple hundred bucks compared to $600+ for an ipad.

Every day to work and back with a Dell laptop (in Standby mode) inside a Timbuk2 courier bag, the bag in the top case of 1200GS.

Not a problem in over two years of this.

--

Mikko

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I carried a Powerbook 140, and another model, on a KZ1000P 10 hours a day for several years...yes it was 20 years ago. No ill effects even with jumping curbs and my thrashihng style of riding.

I carried a MacBook Pro on a 3700 mile trip in the topcase recently. On that trip, I did some of it via dirt/fire/atv roads. It didn't have any issues with the hard drive.

Wayne

Have been carrying my work notebook (originally Dell 17" 9400 and now Lenovo T510 15.6") back and forth daily on my work commute. No problem. I bought two power supplies so that I have one at each end. Carry it a padded sleeve. The Lenovo now fits in the side case, so I can leave my top case at home. :)

I had an Acer Aspire 1 with me on my trans continental trip last year. It died, but not from the trip. It had a solid state drive that expired. Plan to carry a 12" HP tablet notebook on future long trips for e-mail, weather and feeding the Garmin GPS.

Anyone have any experience carrying a laptop/netbook or ipad on a bike? Is it practical or even possible without the vibration destroying the computer in short order?

Disk drives have improved tremendously. I rode 11,000 miles to Alaska and back in 2006 with an Apple G4 Macbook in my luggage. Unless I expected to be unable to find electricity for more than 48 hours, I didn't even turn it off. It survived heat, vibration, and a drunk spilling a beer on the keyboard.

I currently have two laptops, both with solid state drives. In addition to being impervious to vibration, a SSD draws less power, and is more than an order of magnitude faster (0.25 ms vs 15 ms access time) faster than a spinning disk. On a $/megabyte basis, a SSD is expensive, but Linux doesn't need a lot of space, so a 32gb drive (~$75) is more than ample.

I've carried my laptops for years as a daily commuter in my side case. For longer trips it's usually in my top case (or now my MotoFizz bag). Been fine with a variety of regular laptops (Toshiba, Dell) and most recently I've begun using a Macbook Air (all solid state/chips) that I converted to run Win7 (I think that's why Jobs stepped down - he sensed a disturbance in the Force LOL).

On trips, I usually travel with a netbook. It travels padded in my clothes, and has never had a problem that way.

On my trip around the Trans-Labrador Highway it go so cold I had every stitch of clothing on, with nothing left for padding in the top box. The road was so rough I dented the front rim, and the connection to the screen on the netbook was wrecked. That was an exceptional circumstance, padded in clothing should be fine.

I tried carrying a laptop but found the laptop I had was too big to carry wihtou taking up a ridiculous amount of storage space. I just bought a netbook and that carries very well in the saddlebags.

Karen puts her laptop in a padded case in the top box of the LT.

I did install a cigar lighter in there to recharge battery while riding.....

McDonalds has free WIFI and outlets @ tables.....

I carry a Macbook occasionally in it's own padded carry bag. I carry it in the 49L top case. Have gone on 200 mile trips over back roads in NH and VT. No problems with it and I would have no hesitation in doing it again. I only take it when I feel the need to upload photos to it while out on a trip.

Roy

Archived