IGNORED

Need to replace my cheap / low quality gloves with same...

pjw73nh

So I've got this cheap-ass pair of MC gloves I got about 25 years ago from a tent-vendor at a local fair. There are no identifying features on them. They MAY have had a tag of some sort at one time, but it is long worn off. They're XL, thin, soft, crappy soft leather with a large "shinyl-vinyl" gauntlet. They look like they are a very cheap import. I think I paid $15 for them back then. These are my commuting, quick-trip gloves seen here.

Cheap Gloves

I like them because with the large gauntlet, and thin, flexible leather, they are very easy and quick to put on and take off. I've got a pair of "long-trip" gloves and a pair of Gerbing heated ones, but these are my "daily drivers". As you can see, they are worn through. I have looked all over and can't find a similar pair anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions where I can look for or find another pair? Not surprising, the vendor is no longer at the annual fair. Thanks.

Paul.../NH

Too bad you don't live here. A local Hutterite colony hand makes deerskin gloves with large gauntlets and a thinsulate lining. I've never found anything more comfortable for long days. Not waterproof and obviously not available on line but if you are ever at the Strathcona Farmers Market...don't pass them up! About $25 if I remember correctly.

See if there are any Renaissance festivals in your area. :rofl:

Actually I'm a cheap glove addict myself (for my lightweight gloves). I became hooked many years ago on a set of Bates gloves (of Bates racing leathers). After a number of years they wore out but I couldn't find them anywhere. I even contacted Bates but, sadly, they no longer made them. Since then I've found I can usually find something very similar at local stores (Sam's, Tractor Supply, local hardware, etc). Most often they're a roper style glove. Usually takes a bit of looking but I eventually come across the fit and quality I'm looking for and buy a few sets. Good luck.

You might consider a pair of Aerostich Elkskin gloves.

I have these and they are very comfy. Not dirt cheap, but you get a bit more IMO.

My only issue with them is the gauntlet is so soft that it bunches up when putting them on. This requires the added step to pull the gauntlets a bunch to correct them.

Well I am going a different direction at the chance of getting blasted. I wear welders gloves, specifically TIG ones.

http://jtillman.com/products/gloves/tig/

http://jtillman.com/products/gloves/tig/25a/

They are comfortable, deerskin, have lasted 6 years, kevlar thread, extremely flexible, and $10.

Great summer glove and I add silk liners for winter, although our winter is tame by other standards. Haven't tested in a get off but hope not to.

They have a variety to choose from and the TIG or MIG are very comfy working the GPS and Schuberth C3 controls.

Just a thought.

Terry

$15 in todays money would be $120, so get a good pair.

I like the BMW gloves. I can't see slicing and dicing and skinning Bambi for gloves. I think the BMW are made out of Naugahyde.

dc

Gloves are one thing you may want to think twice about being cheap.

Hand injuries are quite common in crashes. I have seen many in 29 years of racing.

I only buy gloves meant for motorcycling made by a reputable manufacturer - I often ask people who repair motorcycle clothing. The gloves must also have a wrist closure. I have seen gloves fly off in a crash.

Watch On Any Sunday, first road race crash - a glove similar to a leather work glove comes off the riders hand - which then touches the pavement.

Remember the category people, "Need to replace my cheap / low quality gloves with same... "

Terry

Well, the Fox Creek deerskin gauntlets are $35 and soft as butter. They don't meet the low quality test though.

Well, you said cheap.

$17.99 ok?

To be honest, I've bought some Xelement/Leather Up stuff on ridiculous sales that turned out to be outstanding purchases, including a tank bag for like $40 and a pair of boots for $80 that I've put tens of thousands of miles on.

$15 in todays money would be $120, so get a good pair.

I like the BMW gloves. I can't see slicing and dicing and skinning Bambi for gloves. I think the BMW are made out of Naugahyde.

dc

What do you have against naugas?

Look at Olympia gloves < olympiagloves.com >

A large assortment of reasonably priced m-c gloves. I've used a couple of pairs, warm and cold weather, with the gel inserts for years. Well worth the money, IMO.

pete

You guys really consider $115 "cheap"?

Depends how much you think your hands are worth.

I saw Randy Renfrow's hand after his big toe was amputated to replace a thumb that was ground off (racing).

I saw Randy Renfrow's hand after his big toe was amputated to replace a thumb that was ground off (racing).

I've never seen any data indicating that a $115 glove will save your hand in a situation where a $30 glove wouldn't. Isn't it safe to assume that the person you described was wearing expensive gloves?

I've never seen any data indicating that a $115 glove will save your hand in a situation where a $30 glove wouldn't. Isn't it safe to assume that the person you described was wearing expensive gloves?

I buy good gloves for the track and street. PERIOD!! Randy Renfrow was a professional racer. I bet he was wearing the best gloves of his era...things have changed, but your observation is correct. Good point!

It happened in about 1990. Gloves from that time are very similar to many of the less expensive gloves today.

No, I have seen some expensive gloves come apart, but less so than cheaper gloves.

I have a friend who repairs leather, mostly for racers. I go by her recommendations. My current summer gloves are Held. Also I replace them (summer gloves - cold weather gloves less often) every year or two at the most. Sweat and everyday use wears out gloves. They are replaced long before they develop significant leather wear or holes.

Hands are one of the more injured parts of the body in a fall. The choice of glove is up to you. I select my gloves based on protection first, cost last.

Not as cheap as your cheapos, but the Aerostich Elkskin Ropers are sublime--the ones I have are years old, soft as butter, and simply don't wear out. They make a gauntlet version if you need 'em.

I've spent ungodly amounts of money on gloves over the years, but these are the ones I return to every time.

Archived