IGNORED

Clutch pilot alignment tool... What does it look like?

Pbrokaw

I am at the point of putting her back together. Do I need to use a tool or can you eyeball it? The splines will line up with the diaphram disk spring. but what alines up the disk/splines to be concentric with the crankshaft of the engine? Or does the tool have a smaller diameter to allow the shaft of it to pass through the disk spring into the crankshaft hole on the end?

Thanks

Perry

The tool does have a smaller diameter shaft that passes through the clutch center. I had ordered the tool, but it ended up coming too late and I did it twice in two years (long story) by eye with no problem at all.

I have an input shaft from my 1150 gearbox that would work great. Where are you? I just did mine so I know that the shaft works wonders for alignment. If you're close, I could loan it to you. I'm in Solano County California but leaving for Torrey tomorrow!

RT Russ:

Sorry, I am in Cross Plains Wis, Just a tad bit far for the tool loan out...but thanks anyway!!!

I just think I will be really careful and eyeball it. My buddy Steve did it and he did not have any issues going back together.

Thanks again to all.

Perry Brokaw

Morning Perry

A (proper) alignment tool definitely helps at re-assembly. I have one for the 1150 but never have had one for the 1100. In fact my BMW service manual doesn’t even show using an alignment tool for the 1100.

Unfortunately the 1150 is different than the 1100 so the tool (or input shaft) for the 1150 won’t work in your 1100 bike.

You can eyeball it (not the best way but can be made to work). Problem is if you don’t get it pretty well centered it puts a lot of stress on the clutch disk center when the trans is slid home.

You can sort of make a tool using the push rod & a tight fitting bushing (or wrap tape on the push rod at the disk area).

What you need is that very small (push rod diameter) where it enters the front diaphragm center (that centers the tool) then a larger bulge where the tool goes through the clutch disk (that centers the clutch disk to the diaphragm center.

I haven’t really had a problem on the 1100 with not using an alignment tool but I am very careful to center the disk around it’s periphery to the housing then as a check eyeball the disk center to the center of diaphragm.

What I do is put the 6 bolts in there and not tighten them all the way in, then put the gearbox on and tighten the screws trough where the starter should have been ;)

Dan.

I did the same thing on my 1150.

Used the clutch push rod and a socket that fit both the rod and clutch disk after wrapping a turn or two of electrical tape around it.

Afternoon Perry

You asked what the tool looked like. Here is a clutch alignment tool for the 1150. It looks about the same as the 1100 only a slight difference in size.

I made this one in my shop but it is close in looks to the BMW tool.

IMG_0006.jpg

I have the specs/dimmensiosns of the tool for 1100 bikes except S which is an 1150 actually.

PM/email me if you need those for the clutch centering tool and I will reply with the info (it's a pic).

Dan.

Morning Dan

Thanks, but I already have the 1100 tool dimensions if I ever need to make one. So far I haven’t really needed a centering tool on the 1100 as just lining the disk up with the housing edge seems to center it enough to allow trans insertion.

I ended up just eyeballing it. I was just a tiny bit off to the left looking at the clutch end of things. I tapped the clutch with a little dead blow hammer and a wide chisel on the hub. It slid just enough to allow proper alingment.

The trans is back on,the tail is down. The bike should be on wheels tomorrow eve after work... I hope. I bought a Harbor Freight air powered brake bleeder unit to speed the process of refilling the brake systems up. I used a Mityvac when I did the 48k service,worked good but gave the hand a workout. This should work nicely.

Any thoughts on a first timers balancing of the throttle bodies??? I have a twinmax at my disposal. I am gonna check the valves first to make sure there in spec.

Thanks

Perry

dirtrider, could you please post the dimensions for the R1100RT tool? I have a machinist friend who would let me make my own...

What do these tools normally cost anyway?

Archived