IGNORED

I now have a GPS question??

johnhunter44

I have an old Garmin Nuvi 350 that I am using on my 2009 R1200RT. I simply plug it into the accessory outlet. I have bought the BMW plug that you splice into the cable of the GPS power cable that then plugs into the bmw plug that is on the steering column. Will the volts, watts, amps(whatever) be ok for this device? Wouldn't the volts, watts, amps, whatever, that is supplied at the BMW plug on the steering column be the same as the amount of power supplied at the accessory outlet? It works fine when plugged in the accessory outlet....I just don't want it to be more at the bmw plug and have it burn out my gps if I need to adapt the power down, or something...

Doesn't matter how much power the accessory port is rated at so long as it is enough to power the device. A 12 volt system is....a 12 volt system. As long as you have a fuse in the GPS cable suited for the power it draws have no fear.

I don't know of any accessory ports on the BMW that are not 12v rated.

Morning John

Yes, you will get the proper voltage to your GPS from that front BMW plug. Just make sure you splice into the correct terminals on that plug. If I remember correctly that plug has 3 terminals/3 wires with one being (ground) one being (12-14 volts) & one being (vehicle speed signal).

Archived