IGNORED

Quiet tires?

TrickLidz

Continental Road Attacks are probably the quietest I have encountered recently. The Dunlop Roadsmart that is currently on my front has gotten a bit noisy near the end of its life, but that's been the case with every tire I can remember. I've been so impressed by the tread life (currently 10,000+) of the PR2 on the rear, that I'm planning on putting a set of PR3s next month — they look like they should be quiet, but I have no first hand experience..

There is nothing quieter than the Michelins. I had the Conti's and I could not wait to get rid of them. They were soooo... noisy.

I got the Pilot Road 3 and they are super quiet. If it wasn't for the motor, I wouldn't know I was going anywhere.

dc

What tires are quietier than Michelin Pilot Road2?

Replaced the PR2's with the PR3's about 1500 miles ago and this tire is sweet!

I did the same thing. The PR3's are about 7k miles into service and still look good, and still make that hum their known for when bent over; a good trade off I think.

Is this noise really a problem for some ??

To me that would be the last thing that I would consider when selecting tires.

Just curious .

When trying the Metzeler ME880 I learned how annoying a noisy tire can be! Took them off early to get away from the howl that came with even the slightest lean angle.

Of all the tires I have run on the RT the Pirelli Diablo front, Diablo Strada front ( best tire I have EVER had on the front), and the Diablo Strada rear are the quietest tires over their entire life span I have used.

Is this noise really a problem for some ??

To me that would be the last thing that I would consider when selecting tires.

Just curious .

I can't imagine that amidst air noise, road noise, engine noise a little bit of tire noise would matter much.

It's a motorcycle after all.

I share your opinion of the PR2s being noisy. After the front was broken in it became very noisy. It was one of the factors of why I chose the Dunlop Road Smart for my department over the PR2.

I just tried my first set of PR3s at work, to see if they were better than the Road Smarts. The front PR3 is quieter than the PR2, but you will noticed a sort of whirling sound as you're slowing to a stop... I attributed it to the horizontal sipes. It wasn't too loud or annoying. I wasn't that fond of the PR3 rear though. Easily lost traction during aggressive up shifting, so we're sticking with the Road Smart.

Anyway, from my experience you'll find both the Road Smart and Metzler Z6 quieter... but the Metzler wears out significantly quicker.

But here's my question: what does noise mean for various performance outcomes? Do noisier tires grab better?

Long ago, I was studying highway noise annoyance for the local DOT. We found more noise for neighbouring houses from the (then) new radials on cars.

Ben

Gorgeous weather in Toronto.. wife and I are out the door..... bye

My rt is so quiet the tires make a big difference in noise, the faring is like a funnel on the front tire, I would pay double for a less noisy tire, I do like the pr2, but after 3000 miles I can hear the diference. I tried a Cont, they are crap, a loud and way low milege tire.

Totally uneducated review since I have 200 miles on them, but so far my PR3's are incredibly quiet compared to the aged metzler's they replaced.

Thanks for the replies. The noise of the PR2's are from the rear on very slight transition from upright to leaned over (can make it hum just by slightly turning the wheel while riding straight. I can see a defineate cupping where the 2 compounds meet just off center. The center is worn more than the sides as, sadly, I don't corner as much or as aggresively as I used to (I save that for the track), and am mostly commuting. I've tried different tire pressures and it didn't make a difference. I think if I had been able to wear the tire evenly from the beginning (equal highway, corners, etc)I won't have the hummmm...BUT

Anyway, really not a big problem, more of an annoyance (yes, I wear earplugs and listen to music)just curious if anyone else had the same thing? I only have a few more miles left so I think I'll go with the PR3's next time---I do like the mileage.

Archived