IGNORED

Sore Bottom Strangeness

Leevis

Hi All

Hoping someone can help me here

Over the past couple of months i have started to get a sore bottom from riding my R1150RT 2003

Its not the whole of my 'rear' that hurts, just on the one side. Its a bit difficult to explain really but seems to occur after about an hour.

First of all i thought it was my over trousers, but i have changed these and the same thing happens. I have changed seat height and also the suspension settings and the same things happen.

Could it be the seat itself?

What are the syptoms of a seat going bad?

Anyone else ever had this?

Lee

Sheepskin and remove your wallet from the rear pocket :grin:

I started removing my wallet from my rear pocket a few years ago on long car/bike trips. Then I started doing it on shorter trips and commuting. Now I carry it in my front pocket all the time. I can't beleive how much better my lower back feels.

To the OP......What seat are you using? If you are still on a stock seat, then I salute you. I could never survive on a stock BMW seat for longer than about 40 miles without getting uncomfortable. On my new GS, its like clockwork.........as soon as I feel the need to stand up or change my seating position, I look down and my odometer always reads between 40-45 miles since my last stop.

I've always felt that the stock seats are too soft and force you back to same position. Even after you move, they cause you to slide forward and right back to the position you just tried to get out of. As far as knowing if a seat is shot. Eventually the foam starts to break down and lose its support. If the seat you are using no longer supports you like it once did, then I would say it is starting to break down. Once again, if its a stock seat, then its not surprising because they use very soft unsupportive foam to begin with.

I had a stock seat, and experienced similar problems... but when I bought the parts for my 2-up conversion of an R1100RT-P, one of my individual purchases was for a front/rear seat from a 2005 R1150RT.

I thought I only NEEDED the rear seat for my conversion, but when the pair arrived, it turned out to be the "comfort" seats. They were a bargain at $82 including shipping for both.

The comfort drivers seat was far more comfortable than the stock seat that came on my 1999... I was lucky enough to sell my original stock seat on ebay for $75.00 (including shipping) so I really made out on the upgrade... The comfort seat is slightly taller than the stock seat so my short legs must tippy-toe to get both feet down, but the difference in riding comfort is dramatic, at least to these old "buns"... If you can get a comfort seat used and cheap, or from a salvage bike, I would recommend you try it as an inexpensive alternative to a custom seat...

Yeah its still the stock seat and no i do not carry anything in my back pockets.

One thing i have noticed though is that i am starting to slide forwards (is this a symptom)?

Without being two graphic here, i have two cheeks and it only seems to hurt on the right cheek, very strange. When i stop its normally the left foot that goes down onto the floor.

Maybe i should investigate the cost of a new seat but i want to discount everything before i do this. There are no tell tale signs on the seat of any degradation but i have noticed that when i get off the top of the seat has lines on it, kinda like a fold but not folded, more like wavey.

Stock seats are painful affairs, and it doesn't surprise me that you're getting numbness after riding on it for some time.

If you don't want to, or can't spring for some kind of aftermarket seat, I recommend modifying your current seat yourself. The sliding forward you mention is also fairly common on the stock seats, and can be corrected with seat modifications.

There is a good site with instructions, tips, and information on materials and tools needed to modify seats here: http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/

I used the information from their site to change my Honda Silverwing's 'sitting on a brick' stock seat to one that I could comfortably ride on all day.

Good luck!

You may be unconsciously offsetting the PTTR and weighting off side or body posture lean.

Are you wearing jean under riding pants?

I'll leave it to the others to discuss the possible equipment fixes--seats, underwear, etc.--and ask if there's some possibility that this is a medical issue. My wife has long suffered from a herniated disc that causes, for lack of a better term, assymetric discomfort that affects one side of her, uh, derriere, but not the other.

What you're describing may be sciatica that's aggravated by extended sitting in that position. Have you talked to a doc about this? You may have a spinal injury. Not necessarily the end of the world, as medical and/or chiropractic treatment can help.

Re: sliding forward.......

Yes, the R1150RT does have a forward slope.

I used 1/8" aluminum to fabricate spacers to raise the front of the seat.....If I remember right I ended up raising it 3/8"....

That said, a custom seat maker will build the "lift" into the seat.

I did try custom seats, gel pads, beads.......biggest difference was the LDC underwear.

Re: sliding forward.......

Yes, the R1150RT does have a forward slope.

I used 1/8" aluminum to fabricate spacers to raise the front of the seat.....If I remember right I ended up raising it 3/8"....

That said, a custom seat maker will build the "lift" into the seat.

I did try custom seats, gel pads, beads.......biggest difference was the LDC underwear.

I raised the front of my Corbin, added a sheepskin and LDComfort!

:thumbsup:

Wait, let's start at the beginning: how long have you had the bike, and how many miles have you put on it? If you've been riding the bike for awhile and the soreness is new, it may be something to do with your body rather than the seat or the bike. Do you have any gear you started wearing about the time the pain started? Does your butt hurt any other time, such as long car rides or public transport, or sitting at a desk?

It would also be helpful if you fill out your profile so respondents know where you are...if you're in Zimbabwe all the suggestions for American custom seats will be useless.

I will check out that seat mod thing, nice one.

I just ordered a Putnams inflatable stadium seat cushion for £11 delivered, someone was recommending these and they may help for a small price.I will post to see how i am getting on :)

I just ordered a Putnams inflatable stadium seat cushion for £11 delivered, someone was recommending these and they may help for a small price.I will post to see how i am getting on :)

I'd be very concerned about that on a motorcycle.

I'd be very concerned about that on a motorcycle.

I know that Richard Roalfe, who has won all four Brit Butt rallies, uses one of those in preference to an Airhawke.

Andy

Hi All

I didnt get a chance to put this cushion on the seat as yet but i noticed something on the ride home from work on Friday,.

In esscence, i am totally sliding down the seat, i am pretty sure that this never happened before and it has only started in the last six months or so.

Further back in this post someone mentioned raising the front of the seat, does anyone have any more details on how to do this? This might be the answer

Lee

A fairly easy mod. The basics are to remove the seat, then the four screws that hold the front seat height adjuster to the frame. This needs to be shimmed up - I used a stack of washers betweeen the adjuster and the frame on each screw. I suggest you buy some longer screws - the originals are M5x16, so M5x25 will give you an extra 1/3 inch of available room to play with which should be plenty.

edit: adding 10mm of height has transformed my standard seat into an all-day capable seat.

Andy

Archived