IGNORED

repair seat pan

xoomerite

I have a 2005 R1200ST. The front seat pan is cracking at and around the mounting points. This allows the seat to rock and shift around.

I was going to send it to Russell for a rebuild because I thought the foam was wearing out, but found this instead. I have another seat, the lowered one, but the seat pan is not the same as the standard seat.

Any suggestions for repairing the pan? Fiberglass, super glue, J B weld?

I would rough the surface up around the crack as best as possible with sand paper or a dremel, and then attempt patching with either JB weld or Gorilla glue.

• 2 weeks later...
Danny caddyshack Noonan

I broke the rear tab off of mine that keeps the pillion seat from popping out.

I drilled holes in each side of the tab and the parent plastic. Then wired the two together, put some plastic epoxy on the faying surfaces and tightened the wire making sure all was straight. Then I covered broken joint and wire with more plastic epoxy. It works great. The plastic epoxy will not break off like the high strength epoxies tend to with material that bends. The wire is just added insurance for structure.

I made reinforcement for the rear hooks using aluminum angle and pop rivets. For the front, where the crack is from one side to the other, I made a support block of wood to support the entire front edge of the seat pan and keep the load off of the hooks. The hooks on the front now serve more for alignment than support.

If I were sure what kind of plastic the pan is made from, I would track down the proper glue and try a repair. I have learned that some glues work on some materials and poorly, if at all, on others.

I will see how this works. I hate having to consider replacing the seat for pan failure after only 100k miles.

Go to a local hobby shop or towerhobbies.com and buy microballons. Get some 30 minute epoxy (or longer). Mix the epoxy together in a small plastic cup..use plenty. Add microballons until the consistency is snow white and getting fairly thick. Stir stir stir. Apply and wait. If that doesn't fix it, no glue will. The microballons have a way of filling the gap and giving the glue some substance to bond to.

Good luck.

5781.jpg.176cc71afd752d91fa741831575de175.jpg

Archived