IGNORED

XM radio XMP3i portable device

randy

Has anyone used a portable XM device while riding. I am thinking of getting the XM radio XMP3i and using it at my gym, and also having it while I am riding. I do not need to change the channel that often so I can pull over. Thinking of just being able to put in coat pocket, or in tank bag and connecting to autocomm.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with the XMP3i device

won't work inside or in a pocket, you will need the external antena, I use a bluetooth transmitter the size of a large stamp and get great sound to earbuds using a sena

Randy......what system are you going to be plugging it in to on the bike, or are you using something wireless?

The reason I ask is that if you have a smart phone, just skip it and download the SiriusXM app and add an internet subscription. You can then stream directly through your phone anytime you have a 3G or WiFi signal available. The downside is that you will no longer get coverage in the middle of nowhere.

I did this and nixed one of my Sat radio subscriptions. When I go on a trip I just listen to the 3000+ songs I have loaded on my iPhone instead the Sat radio. When commuting though, I have a clean 3G signal the whole way and listen to Sat radio.......on the bike and in the car. Plus I can also use my phone as a Sat radio receiver when plugged into the stereo in the living room.

Just a thought. Hope it was helpful

first I am thinking really low tech here

XMP3i on battery in my jacket front pocket with ear plugs from unit.

Right now I have a 2730 hardwired on my bike, with ear plugs. works great. Just looking to sell the 2730 and use the xmp3i in my pocket, then when I get to the gym, put on the elliptical trainer and listen while I work out.

but it seems as noted above it needs pretty clear sight to SE. otherwise you need ext attenna. So that may make it useless for my needs.

I think I am going to buy one, and test it out. Sell it if it does not meet my needs.

Yes if I had gotten a smart phone prior to this year, and had the unlimited data plan, I would do exactly what you suggest. but now that data plans are limited to 2 gigs per month, based upon my calculations, I would go way over the limit using the XM streaming function, 1 hour to work, 1 hour from work home, 1 hour at the gym three times a week. That is around 50+ hours of streaming. everyone I have talked to says I will blow away 2 gigs.

won't work inside or in a pocket, you will need the external antena, I use a bluetooth transmitter the size of a large stamp and get great sound to earbuds using a sena

+1...run the same thing here...my receiver gets hot in the tank bag though

Yes if I had gotten a smart phone prior to this year, and had the unlimited data plan, I would do exactly what you suggest. but now that data plans are limited to 2 gigs per month, based upon my calculations, I would go way over the limit using the XM streaming function, 1 hour to work, 1 hour from work home, 1 hour at the gym three times a week. That is around 50+ hours of streaming. everyone I have talked to says I will blow away 2 gigs.

Agreed.....I keep forgetting that they did away with the unlimited data plans. I'm still on one from over two years ago, and figure I will buy my next iPhone at full price just so I can keep my current plan. I never want to give up that unlimited data.

correct, I have never felt I had a compeling reason to pay for data. then 5 days after verizon changed, Chris K and a couple of fellow workers convinced me to add data. I called verizon and they told me of the change "4 days ago" I had heard of the change, and was waffling about getting the data plan and should have just done it.

I am thinking of goin to T mobile, they are offering unlimited everything (wath data going down to 3g after 2 gigs) for 50.00 per month per phone.

Rumor has it Verizon is going to match this. If they do i.e. unlimited data with no extra charge but just going down to 3g speed after the first 2 gig, I may stay with verizon.

I use the Pioneer Inno for XM (earlier model than the XMP3i). Mine works great without the external antenna; I run it through a MixIt2 with wired helmet speakers. It's actually Velcroed onto the Zrechnik mount and has not come off in the three years since I bought it.

5768.thumb.jpg.3d60daa861b69cd9f16c63f4208ae2a5.jpg

Archived