IGNORED

riding boots

Bear1

Are there any suggestions for a nice, comfy riding boot that I can wear around the office with jeans, that won't look like I just stepped off the race track? Now that the weather has started to cool down, I would like to start riding my bikes to work more often, but don't always want to take an additional pair of "walking around" shoes with me.

Paul Mihalka

I was always very happy with the Cruiserworks boots. Very high quality, comfortable, waterproof. They are pretty much the style you are looking for.

During this past year the company changed ownership. I have no experience with their products. Their boot style is unchanged. The prices are up. Find them here: http://www.cruiserworks.com/Home.aspx

Why not just put some shoes in the office.

Any type of boot will go with jeans. But the thing for me is comfort. I like to take any boot off, and put on something more comfortable.

dc

I don't ride around in sandals, but I also don't feel the need for boots that give serious protection.... ever. At the top of my foot safety hierarchy are almost-knee-height tall lace-up Doc Martens for all-day scoots. Pretty good against a lot of get-off hazards, but they don't qualify as serious protectors.

You need to match the counter-measures to the risks and think-through your safety regime. Opinions might vary on this topic.

But I do use serious weather protection in the winter. Nobody likes shifting with frostbite.

Ben

great riding weather here, if only it would stop raining

I'd suggest the Sidi Street Boot. I've worn Sidis on bicycles for 11 years and motorcycles for 3 years. The only negative thing about Sidis is it can be hard to find a dealer. They are very comfy, well made shoes that will last forever.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

+1

Leave my shoes there. Sometimes bring them home on Friday nights and back on Monday. Leave them, and the boots, near my personal drawer in my desk to use the odor to deter those who might be too curious.

BMW Allrounds just won the MCN mid-priced waterproof boot comparo. I've got about 45k on mine and they're fine. I wear 'em to work when casual is OK, but for dress days I've got the shoes stashed under the desk and change into them once I arrive.

-MKL

Autocom Matt

I'm still working on finding something for my size 15 or 14 very wide feet. If anyone has some hints let me know. Until then I'll keep wearing jump boots.

+1 I have these and I like them. However after a couple of hours standing my ankles hurt, but I pronate and that is another problem.

I also second leaving shoes at work. I have my dress shoes and steel-toes at work. I ride in to work with the Alpinestars or sandals, depending on if I'm on the moto or the bicycle.

I have a pair of Gortex Alpine Stars. My old pair were 10 years old. I like them

http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/categories/moto/footwear/touringroad-riding/tech-touring-goretex/

Matt,

Regarding wide feet and riding boots.

I have a high instep and could not get several brands to fit.

Sidi makes a Way Mega boot. Sidi Way Mega Here.

The boot is designed for wide feet. It also gave me the room for my high instep.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

I bought these. Wear them all day at work. Fairly narrow fitting but do "give". Liked 'em so much, I bought the waterproof version for winter.

Icon Tarmac Ventilated Boots

2009-Icon-Tarmac-Ventilated-Boots.jpg

From a health standpoint, if your boot is waterproof/very airtight, it is not the ideal environment for your toenails. Walking in them can accelerate this issue. If you do it wear wicking socks, although that doesn't offer insurance.

From a health standpoint, if your boot is waterproof/very airtight, it is not the ideal environment for your toenails. Walking in them can accelerate this issue. If you do it wear wicking socks, although that doesn't offer insurance.

I dunno Kathy, while I was in the infantry in the Marine Corps, I wore my gore-tex boots daily, on long patrols, on long hikes, etc. and never developed any toe nail issues. The socks I wore were the crappy issued socks, they would leave a green sheen on your feetsies when they were new.

As of the original question, I keep two pair of shoes at work, a dress pair and a set of comfortable sneakers. Depending on the climate at work will determine which shoe I put on. On jeans days, I just keep my boots on, they are the square tip Harley style boots, but brown. Got them from Leatherup, quite comfortable.

Waterproof does not necessarily equal very airtight. There are many materials that have been developed to allow air and other vapours to pass through while not allowing water to pass through. Some of these materials have made it into recreational footwear. Your can get waterproof footwear that "breathes".

My SIDI On-roads with Sympatex lining have kept my feet dry for 9 years. There are lots of other excellent boots out there that I believe are not unhealthy for your toenails.

Should have explained, I only bought the waterproof pair for riding in the rain. If it's raining, I don't commute to work.

+1 on Sidi's

I have a pair of Sidi Doha's which mix with work clothes ("business casual", i.e. Dockers)

very well, and I've found them to be very comfortable for walking around.

They aren't waterproof, and are ventilated.

I keep a set of brown shoes and a set of black shoes at work in a filing cabinet.

I come to work wearing either a set of RG side zip waterproof boots or a set of RG side zip mesh boots, both called I think "service".

Both were obtained from Big 5 at about 27 bucks on sale. This is my third set of the mesh boots as I need the lug soles living up here in the Sierra's with all the gravel on the roads. The lug soles allow traction where some of the others do not.

Archived