IGNORED

Top-box wiring advice needed!

Sweendog

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased and mounted a Givi topbox to my '99 RT. The box came with the Givi light-kit already installed, and I'm not trying to figure the best way to wire it into the existing tail lights. I'd like to have them work as running lights and brake lights, but I would also be OK with just having them light up with the brakes.

Trouble is, I'm a bit confused by what I'm seeing back there in the wiring department. The previous owner installed some LED flashers for the brake system that work great, and seem to have included a little relay that was chained in w/the brake wires.

The Givi wiring has just two wires, a blue and a black. Since these are DC I assume it doesn't really matter which color I use for power or ground.

I'm pretty sure I can just splice in the Givi light's blue wire to the brown wires that attach w/the spade connector to the brake light. I've no idea where to connect the black one, if I do it that way.

I also have no idea what's in the little black plastic box, nor what the deal is w/the two green (ground?) wires that are just spliced together under electrician's tape. =/

sm-labled.JPG

In the picture you can see the two lines going to the leds, heading hout the back of the light housing, along with their blue wires, tied into the main system.

Anyone have suggestions?

Autocom Matt

If they are LED's it may matter. Some LED's use a diode network to correct reverse polarity. Most don't. I checked mine. Black goes to outer part of bulb holders wire and the Blue to center. Just use a power tap type splice.

You may want to look at: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4641

Check for the one specific to your topcase. This may be the most direct way to have brake/taillight function.

Archived