IGNORED

Speaker/Earbud noise

samd007

Hi All,

I have a 2001 1100RT 36k mi, I installed a Starcom1 set up to the pos and neg on the battery. I also have a Zumo 550 and a Starcom1 volume control hooked up. When I start the bike I hear a clicking or ticking in my earbuds and my wife hears it in her helmet speakers. I spoke to the closest BMW service tech and he felt I was correct in the hookup. I spoke to Centech in regards to buying a separate fuse box. He told me to check my spark plug wires since they are older and may be bad. I thought I would see if anyone else has ran into this problem. I am also running Bosch 4418 plugs. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Autocom Matt

I've gotten the clicking too on start-up with a K bike. I solved this by using a filtered power cable (AKA a capacitor) and shielding the unit in a grounded copper mesh bag.

You may be able to relocate wiring and avoid the trouble. Experiment and see if it changes with the wiring. If not, shield and suppress. PM me if you want sources on the mesh and suppression cap in a box.

if you used an off the shelf audio cable from the Zumo to the Starcom, replace it with an 'isolation' type audio cable. Starcom has them on their web site and so does autocom ...

I have a handlebar mounted Starcom volumn control, a Sirius radio cut into the dash with it's own volume control, an ipod hooked up via a Y connector to the Sirius lead and a bike-to-bike radio ... ticked like a bastard till I put in the isolation cable.

John Bentall
if you used an off the shelf audio cable from the Zumo to the Starcom, replace it with an 'isolation' type audio cable. Starcom has them on their web site and so does autocom ...

I have a handlebar mounted Starcom volumn control, a Sirius radio cut into the dash with it's own volume control, an ipod hooked up via a Y connector to the Sirius lead and a bike-to-bike radio ... ticked like a bastard till I put in the isolation cable.

+1.

You may be able to experiment here.

1) What happens if you take the Zumo out of its mount and run it on battery power only.

2) What happens if you disconnect the Zumo from the Starcom altogether?

HTH,

John

Test results:

Zumo out of mount- ticking gets louder and faster

Zumo disconnected from Starcom - ticking gets louder and faster again.

BTW I also have a Starcom handlebar volume control.

Thanks,

Sam

John Bentall

It appears that you have bad radio-frequency interference from the ignition. Experiment with moving all the Starcom cables as far as you can from the coils and/or isolate in mesh as suggested previously.

The Starcom unit is under the back seat, the wires are connected to the battery and the volume control and Zumo wires are taped to the gas tank on the upper portion...I will start working on obtaining a copper mesh for the isolation..Thanks

Archived