IGNORED

Wilbers Shocks October Special

Don M

I just ordered a set of Wilbers Shocks from Ted Porter's Beemer Shop. Wilbers is giving him a 10% discount for the month of October and he is passing it on to his customers. I have no affiliation with the Beemer Shop, just thought I'd pass this info on to the group.

I have an almost 2yr old set of Wilbers from Ted Porter and I am very pleased with them. I have had them rebuilt once and Ted's service time was a bit lengthy but the job performed was very good.

I would recommend Ted and Wilbers for anyone considering aftermarket shocks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been searching for replacement shocks for my '05 R1200RT with ESA. In most cases all I hear is Ohlins. They're fantastic, as I have found out on several Ducati's over the years, but I don't want to lose the convenience of ESA on my Beemer. I just love the change on the fly ability. I have had not too good reports on Works

Shocks. My bike was converted (under warranty) to the newer ('07) version of ESA, but the bike still rides like a log wagon. It feels like I have 100 lbs. psi in the tires. Very little difference in feeling between Sport and Comfort settings. My bike only has 18,000 miles on it due to several surgeries in the past couple of years. Any feedback, especially with Wilbers experience, would be greatly appreciated. Ride Safe out there!

Golden, I'm unclear if you want ESA shocks or manual-adjust shocks: I have Wilbers manual shocks, for which I ditched the ESA shocks on my '06 RT, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I have one front shock setting for all loads, and two rear shock settings, for one-up or two-up riding. It takes about a minute and a half to change the settings before a ride or trip. All I can tell you about the Wilbers is the difference between them and ESA is like night and day. I've got between 40-50,000 miles on the shocks (I'm not one to obsessively keep records) and I can't discern any reduction in function...mind you, Wilbers wants to rebuild them relatively frequently for warranty purposes, but I can't live by their rules.

I understand they may have put a longer hose on the rear preload adjuster, which would allow you to put the knob on the side of the bike somewhere, making adjustment even quicker (mine is under the seat).

HTH.

:wave:Hey, thanks for the input. Actually I would like to keep the use of my ESA as I purchased it for the ease of use and the lack of knowledge of all of those kabillion different settings (clicks) of manual adjusting shocks. I have had several Ducati's with Ohlins suspension and I can click all day long and not really tell the difference unless they are at one extreme or the other.

Archived