IGNORED

Tire Mystery

aggieengineer

aggieengineer

I decided to check my tires carefully in preparation for a trip in a couple of weeks - Pilot Road 2's with about 2000 miles on them. Sure enough, the rear had a small sliver of steel, 0.325" long, embedded in it. I put some soapy water over it, and revealed a tiny leak.

Well, I removed and patched the tire using a radial patch over a carefully cleaned and scuffed area, and put it back on the wheel. Checked again, and it was leaking as before.

Removed the tire, and patch, probed the puncture to make sure I had the patch over the proper area, and patched it again. You guessed it - still leaking just as before. I've repaired quite a few tires with minor damage like this and never had a problem.

My only guess is that the textured surface on the inside of the tire may be interfering with the patch adhesion. When time permits, I'll apply compressed air to the hole on the outside and see if I can spot where it comes out on the inside. In the meantime, E-Mototires.com had a heckuva price on a pair of BT23GTs.

I know what you are going thru! I quit using that type of patch ( except for inner tubes ) a long time ago. I think it may be something to do with the type of rubber compounds in tires today. Just don't seem to be able to get them to stick/seal. Come to think of it I have had problems with inner tubes, although I have not tried many in the last few years. If I am going to dismount the tire I would only use one of the patches that also have the "plug" that goes thru the hole to the outside. They look like a mushroom. I believe that you must seal/fill the puncture so water and debris cannot work into it and the standard radial patch won't help that. All that said, I still have a VERY HIGH confidence in the rope style plugs when used PROPERLY. Never had one fail on the bike tires or car tires. Clean the hole with the reamer tool and put plenty of rubber cement on the rope. That helps insert it and makes all the difference in the seal.

I used to Operate the very large rubber tired loaders in the mines. Tires cost...tens of thousands of dollars! They would do anything to try to repair one. Their biggest problem was sealing the repair so dirt/water wouldn't work its way back into the carcass. Hard to do on a tire with 48 PLYS!

aggieengineer

Well, we'll never know. I went out this morning, and put some soapy water over the puncture, and it was still leaking, albeit very slowly. I took the tire back off, removed the patch (no small task) and put 80 psi against the puncture at the outside of the tire, and looked for bubbles on the inside. Nothing!

I've had 100% success in the past repairing small punctures like this with a non-plugging radial tire patch. I clean the heck out of the area with a wire wheel on a die grinder and a little acetone. A hole big enough to accomodate a plug would prompt me to just replace the tire as soon as I got home.

Oh well, it'll be nice to start the next trip on new tires. The PR2s were wearing much like all the other tires I've used but after 2000 miles, the front looked about half gone.

Archived