IGNORED

RAM Aqua Box -- any experience?

doc47

My brother-in-law (bless his solid-state physicist's heart) just gave me a Garmin Nuvi GPS to grace my new bike. In looking at RAM mounts I noticed that RAM makes an Aqua Box for weatherproof mounting. Does anyone have experience with this product? Good, bad, or indifferent?

It also is not evident how it attaches to a RAM mount.

I have never used the aquabox, but I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that if it is made by RAM......its most likely pretty good. I have never been disappointed by any of there products.

Most RAM accessories have two holes tapped into the backside of them that are spaced to accept one of their standard diamond shaped ball mounts.

My brother-in-law (bless his solid-state physicist's heart) just gave me a Garmin Nuvi GPS to grace my new bike. In looking at RAM mounts I noticed that RAM makes an Aqua Box for weatherproof mounting. Does anyone have experience with this product? Good, bad, or indifferent?

It also is not evident how it attaches to a RAM mount.

White Horse Gear has a page with some installation tips.

I use a medium or large, wide, Aqua Box with my Garmin Nuvi GPS. The box has a waterproof entrance for the power cable on the back, basically molded in channels for the wire to route through then through an entrance hole to the inside. The B202 round mount attaches to the back of the box and covers the wire entrance, basically a round flat plate with the RAM ball built in. I have a power cable dedicated/installed to the Aqua Box, and another for use when the GPS is removed from the Aqua Box.

I use differing base mounts dependent on the bike: a handlebar mount, a clutch/brake cover reservoir mount, or a diamond base mount to 1/8" or 1/4"x1" aluminum strap for a custom fabricated mount, such as on my R1150RT-P that mounts the GPS up on the dash. I use a short or medium mounting arm to attach between the base mount and the Aqua Box, dependent on the bike application. I find the medium arm is the one I use most.

The Flex-lens is very flexible, even in cold weather, and allows the touch screen operation needed for the Nuvi. It is waterproof and has protected my Nuvi in downpours without issue, even on a naked bike such as the KLR. The Flex-lens is not completely clear, rather it is slightly milky, really only an issue when in direct sun. I have never replaced mine over the few years I have owned it.

I prefer the Nuvi's wide screen, via points when routing, mp3 storage, included maps, and the cost is much less than other motorcycle specific solutions. I like the Aqua Box because it allows me the flexibility to use the Nuvi between the car and the bike very easily.

Just one more thing (think Columbo...), the Nuvi power cable is a cig lighter type. My BMW's all have the accessory power plug, and I install a Powerlet plug on my other bikes, so I use a Powerlet piglet type converter cable to power the Nuvi. I like the cable that splits to both a cig lighter plug and a powerlet plug so I can use my BMW heated vest in concert with the GPS, if needed.

Great info. Thanks!

Is there any difference between the aluminum ball and the rubber ball? Seems the arm would be less likely to slip on the rubber ball but the rubber might be a bit less durable. I'm nitpicking here, I realize.

Great info. Thanks!

Is there any difference between the aluminum ball and the rubber ball? Seems the arm would be less likely to slip on the rubber ball but the rubber might be a bit less durable. I'm nitpicking here, I realize.

I wasn't aware of an aluminum ball, and have the rubber ball on the four mounts that I have. They are pretty inexpensive so easy to replace if needed. Here's a couple of pic's I took today of my KLR. You can see the Aqua Box, medium length arm and sorta see the power plug, pigtail, and powerlet on the KLR aluminum dash:

299056_10150419510654073_592814072_10294170_2077103343_n.jpg

320177_10150419510794073_592814072_10294172_1755111790_n.jpg

I can't speak to the aqua-box, but the RAM mounts are great stuff. I use a rubber-ball mount and the plastic arm for my Nuvi. For waterproofing, I just keep a couple of sandwich-sized zip-loc bags in my glovebox, they're cheap and effective.

I can't speak to the aqua-box, but the RAM mounts are great stuff. I use a rubber-ball mount and the plastic arm for my Nuvi. For waterproofing, I just keep a couple of sandwich-sized zip-loc bags in my glovebox, they're cheap and effective.

+1 on the zip-loc bags as a nuvi cover. They work just fine for me here in the soggy PNW.

I have only ever used the rubber ball style. The mount I used supported my huge brick style Garmin 2610 on a 4" extention arm and it never moved. It was rock solid from the day I put it on, till the day I dismantled my RT.

Dave, I checked Powerlet's website and couldn't find anything resembling a dual-outlet with Powerlet and regular sockets. Where did you get yours?

What I was looking for is one that has a regular cig lighter outlet plus a Powerlet outlet for the Gerbings. That way I could run the Garmin and heated clothing.

Then again, I could hard-wire a power lead for the Garmin. Probably the best idea. Or get a Powerlet-ended power lead and install an auxiliary socket.

If I do this, where would I get a lead?

DJ and Sweendog: what mounting do you use? Is it one from RAM or have you adapted the one supplied by Garmin?

George and Dave, yes, I think that's the one. The smaller socket looked too small but it is a Powerlet socket, so that would work.

Expensive little booger!

DJ and Sweendog: what mounting do you use? Is it one from RAM or have you adapted the one supplied by Garmin?

doc47, I used the RAM mount that replaces one of the T45 bolts on the handlebar clamp with an M8 socket head bolt (RAM-B-367). You'd also need the usual RAM socket arm and appropriate cradle for your unit of course. If your junk drawer doesn't already have a selection of RAM bits and pieces, the parts will probably set you back about $40. Installation takes 5 mins, or less. I'll post a photo later today.

George and Dave, yes, I think that's the one. The smaller socket looked too small but it is a Powerlet socket, so that would work.Expensive little booger!

Yes, that's the one I use right now. I plug the gps into the cig lighter plug, my bmw vest into the powerlet plug.

doc47, I used the RAM mount that replaces one of the T45 bolts on the handlebar clamp with an M8 socket head bolt (RAM-B-367). You'd also need the usual RAM socket arm and appropriate cradle for your unit of course. If your junk drawer doesn't already have a selection of RAM bits and pieces, the parts will probably set you back about $40. Installation takes 5 mins, or less. I'll post a photo later today.

Here's the photo:

6236683856_2bf823584c.jpg

My GPS mounts off of a RAM ball that is connected via one of the handlebar bolts.

Here are the RAM mount components I use to mount my Nuvi 7xx series:

Garmin Power Cable

Mount Cradle

Mount Arm

Ball for Cradle

Ball with M8 Bolt

The ball acts as a large washer, it comes with 3 M8 bolts that are direct replacements for one of the handlebar bolts. The arm attaches to that ball, and up to the ball on the back of the cradle. I wired the power cable to a powerlet plug that connects to the dash. The little part w/the LED on the cable just sits in the glovebox, there is plenty of slack to run the cable to the GPS, into the glove box, and up to the dash plug. The soft gasket on the glove box closes right over the wires, which I run through the little gap on the inside of the front fairing. It works great!

I have a large aqua box. I used it a few times. I would like to sell it as I use the RAM gps cradle. When it rains my garmin stays dry so it's overkill for me.

Perry

Archived