IGNORED

Tire valve stems...Can you buy from the local auto store?

KDeline

Need a stem for a 98 R1100RTP. Store said there are different sizes. How do I pick the right one? Take it in and match by eye? Anybody bought some from Autozone and would you have the part number?

Autozone said there are different sizes. Do they mean the part that seals to the rim? Do I take in the bad one and eyeball it? Can I even use ones from a auto parts store? They are the same for bike and car, right? This is for a 98 R100RTP.

aggieengineer

Look at the valve stem area that's on the pressurized side of the rim. There should be a number on it - something like TR-413. Auto parts stores should carry it. There is a tool made to thread over the end and pull them through the hole in the wheel. Good idea to replace them as long as the tire is off. Cheap insurance.

That's where I got mine. Xtra Seal is the brand, comes with grommets to fit 0.453" or 0.625" rim holes. Don't remember which size I used, but they work fine.

Valve stems are like oil. They don't know where they are, they just know what to do.

I just put tr 412 stems in the cast wheels for my R1100RT and my wife's (also cast wheel) Vespa 200GT. All were purchased from a BMW dealer for about $8 each - the same style and size, in different lengths, are available from most any auto parts store and should be what you need. I think the going price for the auto part stores' offerings was about $2per, but I was already buying some other stuff, and figured I'd spring for the German ones ... and they did give me a few bucks worth of stick on weights for free.

I didn't have the tool to pull the stem through, but a little tire mounting lube on the outside collar of the stem made it easy to push into place from the inside (I pulled the old ones out with pliers, neatly destroying each one).

Its funny,,A guy with the same board name and avatar posted the exact same topic under Motorcycle Talk ,Small world,, :lurk:

Yea, somehow I thought it did not post, could not find it and posted again. I'm still new at this. :/

I found NAPA can order these stems for about $12.00 a bag of 10 I think.

I wrapped the excess in aluminum foil airtight. I have 6 left. Out of the sunlight they keep quite well.

Rod

Joe Frickin' Friday

This looks great. I've never cared for rubber valve stems. They flop around when you're trying to check pressure, and I've heard an uncomfortable number of horror stories involving failure; either the rubber stem cracks at the rim, or the brass insert deliminates from the rubber stem. And then you're stuck where you are, unless you carry a spare stem AND a puller AND tire irons to remove the tire AND a pump.

That's where I got mine. Xtra Seal is the brand, comes with grommets to fit 0.453" or 0.625" rim holes. Don't remember which size I used, but they work fine.

By sheer coincidence, I had a failed valve stem 10 days ago (unrelated to diameter: the brass valve part delaminated from the rubber). Either size will work (I currently have 0.453" stems in both wheels), but the hole in a 3-spoke R1100 wheel measures 0.625" in diameter, which suggests that it needs a 0.625" stem. I cannot speak from experience to the size of the hole in rims for other models. When I change tires next month, the 0.625" stems are going in both wheels.

I just finished installing a 453, but all I could find was the TR 413 which is 1/2 inch taller. Will see if all is well in a few hours if nothing leaks. My old one was working but the flat ring that touches the rim, (the part you always see on the outside of the rim) was pushed up away from the rim about 1/8 inch. I was worried it was going to fail soon. Not good when in motion.

Ah, too bad, I have a whole bunch of TR 412s, both rubber and metal. I'll try to remember to throw a couple in the tank bag for you so you can have 'em next time.

For future reference, I got the rubber ones at NAPA, the metal ones on line somewhere.

Thank you, that is very generous. The taller one I used is on the rear spoked wheel of the RTP so it's offset to one side and not near the disc.

Archived