IGNORED

Metzeler Z8 Interact 2011 R1200RT

kltk165

I took delivery of my 2011 R1200RT on 8/4/2011 and the bike came with Conti Attack's. I'm a fairly aggressive rider, not a speed demon but not a saint either. Just came back to NY from a long weekend ride (2500 miles) to The Great Smoky Mountains area. On the ride down I noticed the center tread on my rear tire was almost gone at about 4600 miles. The side tread was fine. The cords weren't showing but the treads were just about gone. As Chattanooga was to be our destination I called ahead to the dealer and inquired about tires. They had the Metzeler Z8 in stock, non C spec unfortunately. As most of my riding is one up with empty luggage I was ok with not getting it this time. Upon checking the front tire at the dealer we found the front was pretty bad too. So I changed both at 4825 miles.

The Conti's worked ok for me, I had no issues with them in the dry. I only rode them in the rain once and didn't get much confidence from them in the wet. 4800 miles is just too short a life span for tires.

Upon pulling out of the dealer parking lot with the Z8's the bike felt like it steered much lighter. Kept it pretty mild for the first 150 miles then progressively took it a little deeper into corners and added some speed. They feel every bit as confidence inspiring in the dry as the Conti's with the added benefit of the lighter steering feel. They hold a line very well and while riding numerous switchback's never stepped out or caused me any concern. On the ride home Tuesday we hit some wet roads. No rain just wet, tree lined roads with some leaves. Admittedly, when the conditions are wet I slow it down alot and don't take many chances. They handled very well in the wet and never stepped out. I read about the Conti's wearing out in the 4000 mile range and should have been more attentive to that before I left for this trip. If I can get 10000 miles out of the Z8's I'd be pretty happy. Time will tell.

Doubt you'll get 10k miles out of the new Z8, but go for it anyway.. :thumbsup:

Z8 is a single compound tire, they have left the dual compound behind for this model. They mounted up easier than the PR2..

I also feel the handling superb, I've run alot of diff brands on my RT, this one seems to be a great match. Agreed, rain performance is stellar.

But I still believe Michelin to be the mileage king for these bikes.

I've got 1500 on the Z8's, we'll see what happens. I'm always too happy to be THAT subjective in the first couple thousand miles.. :grin:

MB>

What a timely topic! I'm in the market for my 3rd set of tires for my 10 1200RT.

I guess I ride about like kltk 165 describes himself. Definitely not a white knuckle rider, but not totally a poke along, either.

I really would like to not significantly decrease my chances of living to retirement in a couple years, so a little "fun" is certainly on the menu but not taking unreasonable chances.

I got about 8500+ a little out of the originals, now I've got Z6 Interacts on with nearly 8,000 and they won't be long for the road, maybe another 1500 max. The performance for my riding is fine with these.

My suspension is set on soft most of the time, and I do as much

of my riding on back twisties as I can find, but not to see how fast I can go but rather to see new scenery, so maybe 1/3rd of my riding is like that. Unfortunately I'm having to go farther and farther on the slab to get to new scenery. 700+ on a Sat isn't uncommon with maybe 400 give or take on the slab to get "there" and back. Also ride to work regularly, 80 round trip right down the slab.

I've put on over 16k since May 1, so am definitely interested in tires that last as long as possible as long as they perform decently. If I get caught in the rain, I take it pretty easy.

Was going to start a post asking RT owners for recommendations, but this thread beat me to it.

BTW, what model Michelin's are you referring to mbelectric, and

do they perform decently? Not looking to be a track star or dare the Gestapo to invite me to any award ceremonies along the road.

Thanks for any input!

I have about 6,000 miles on the Z8. I like the way it handles later in life better than the other tires I have tried. Got 6 to 8000 miles before, including on the Z6, these look like they will last longer. The tread pattern makes it much easier to tell when it's getting worn out than the old Z6. I don't ride in the rain much, so no comment there, and when I do it is with some serious pucker factor.

do they perform decently?

Thanks for any input!

Haven't ever had Mich Marathons, but hear reports of 12-15K though. Not my kind of tire, kinda hard for my style.

The Mich's I was referring to are the Pilots..ran a few sets of the orig Pilot Roads, never less than 10k from them, and two sets of Pilot Road 2, about same miles. Haven't tried the PR3 yet. Prob should have put a set of PR3 on the RT and put the Metz Z8 on the K12RS...I tend to thrash that bike more..we'll see what happens on the RT though..I like 'em.

MB>

I've just finished reading some info on the Mich PR3's, of course advertising type info, but at last it basically agrees with what's said earlier in this thread.

I spent a dab over $600 to get a pair of Z6 Interacts put on at a dealer that still was over $100 less than the local dealer. But for $303 I can get the PR3's shipped.

I was going to get a Parnes balancer setup before the need for new tires caught up to me faster than I anticipated, but now am about to invest in 1, along with the front axle tool.

So tires plus balancer plus good tire tools and I'm still not over the cost of just dealer installed tires, at a dealer with at least not the highest prices. Then each set from then on will cost me not much over 1/2 of getting them put on.

I've changed lots of tires over the years incl lots of hot street car and big 4x4 tires so figure I can manage with the right tools.

Looking at the No-Mar scratch proof spoon bars, a set of 3.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/products/7

Admittedly "high end" but if they work anything like advertised they'd be worth it to me. I work away from home, usually several hundred miles or more for usually over a year or even 2, (altho hope to at least semi retire in 2 years after this project) and have basically minimal equipment to work with that I'm able to take with me, so don't want to struggle with inadequate tools. Any opinions on those spoon bars, or any other recommendations? Doesn't seem to be a lot of choices, and not much with scratch protection.

JUST for the sake of asking, any small reasonable cost tire changers or similar "out there"? Can't be too big, or have to be permanently mounted to a concrete floor, and if they cost too much I might as well save myself the work and have the dealer do my tires. The dealer I'm near now is very high, but the dealer at home is very reasonable, but I'm gonna move away from there when I retire, otherwise I'd just let him do all my tires.

I've got 2 bikes to keep tires on - my 10 1200RT that I have with me and an 1150R at home that will also see quite a bit of use after I retire in a couple years, so might as well get what I need to do the job.

I got about 6k miles out of the last 2 sets of Michelin PR2s.

I put a set of the PR3s on and did 1800 miles. They seem very solid. Hit a bit of rain and they had good traction.

I am happy with Michelins. Time will tell how far I can take them!

That 1800 must just be the miles you've put on so far?

Along these lines, I just stumbled on this little item.

Anybody ever try one? Obviously "very basic" but on the

other hand, not expensive, large or heavy - so would fit

my situation at least from that standpoint. Some decent

tire tools and it might fill the need at least?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FGR4DG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=naturalhea076-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B004FGR4DG

I'm on my second set of Z8s. I get about the same as Z6s. I changed them at 8K when they hit 2/32 of an inch of tread. I could have reasonably gotten a thousand more but I have a service plan under which my dealer replaces them at 2/32

do they perform decently? Not looking to be a track star or dare the Gestapo to invite me to any award ceremonies along the road. Thanks for any input!

06RT with 54,000km all 1-up. Trips to Alaska, California and Baja from Vancouver. A lot of commuting and riding in rain. I'm 150lb and travel with what fits in the bags.

Got 17,000km from the last two sets of PR2. much better overall than the Pilot Roads. PR2 are Great in the rain and only cause me some pause on cold (8C) damp roads - especially those fall days in corners where the sun never finds pavement.

I find the PR2 takes a bit to warm up on cold days. Wear has been even (wear bars in centre and 1st third hit at same time both front and rear) and when warm, traction good enough to scrub the Michelin man's head off (1/4" chicken strips) on local roads. A bit noisy off centre as you roll into corners. no cupping at the pressures I run.

Because the PR3 lists for $50 more per tyre (local price) at $250 front and $325 rear I'm leaning to the Z8 on next week's change.

kltk165

I just put the 3rd set of Metzlers on my RT, Z8's this time. Unlike you I ride like an old lady. I got 14k from both sets of Z6's. I expect to get something similar from the Z8's. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well, that didn't last long. 3460 miles and my rear tire is done. Granted, I got them in Tennessee and did a lot of aggressive curvy roads and I just came back from a weekend in southeast Ohio. More very curvy, aggressive roads. And we were having a lot of fun. Still 3500 miles is far too short. I'm debating putting another Metzeler rear on as the front still looks pretty good. If I put a set on I'm going to try the Michelin Pilot Road 3's.

What's strange is that the left is worn out yet the right side still has quite a bit of tread.

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0013.jpg

Lone_RT_rider
What's strange is that the left is worn out yet the right side still has quite a bit of tread.

Did you take a run by Bristol on your way home? Turn left, turn often? :rofl:

Shawn

• 3 weeks later...

In RHD countries, left curves are longer than right curves. So, even if number of curves is same, mileage turning left is greater.

I put the Z8 on the front and the 880 on the rear. I travel with a lot of weight and the 880 will last longer than any other tire with a heavy load. The handling is superb. I don't get many miles out of tires because of the way I ride; too fast for most folks.

Archived