IGNORED

Helmet Manufacture Date

LBump

I was wondering if a manufacture date of 11/2006 on a Shoei Multitec that's been sitting in a box for years would have any bearing on it's safety and performance? I thought helmets had a life of five years. My brother wants me to buy his... Would you feel comfortable wearing such a helmet? Any opinions would be appreciated.

I for one have never seen any objective proof of this "5 year life limit" for helmets. Yet, perhaps due to superstition or just for change, I do swap them out every 5. By then they're pretty well used anyway. I have a Multitec now, which replaced my old Arai Quantum/f. My next helmet will be another Arai. I'm counting down the days!

-MKL

You may be surprised to know Shoei's warranty covers helmets for five years since the purchase OR seven years since manufacturing.

The official reason for changing an helmet every five years is due to the degradation of the EPS lining and the composite shell because of a multitude of factors: UV rays, acids and oils in sweat etc. There's no clear method to determine this degradation so helmet manufacturers tend to "play it safe" for liability reasons.

Final judgement is up to you.

So you buy a helmet and it sits in a box for 5 years - it needs replaced? Is it possible most "replacement intervals" are as much about selling new helmets as anything else? Are these "Helmet Aging" studies paid for and/or performed by helmet manufactures or independent firm(s), not being paid to do so by the manufactures?

I don't remember the numbers anymore, but when I raced cars, both in SCCA and various vintage groups, the tech guys checked the dates both on helmets AND seat belts, and could DQ you for having stuff that was too old - 5 years I think it was.

NO.

Where and how it was stored, inside, dark, air controlled/humidity free environment might get me to think about it, but not really.

Too many good lids out there and too many current closeout models as EOY rules around.

CYA or not, you only have one head/brain.

I've had several TBI's and PCS messing with balance, speech, memory etc.

Why even take the risk?

My old helmets look good outside but the liners and foam, another story.

YMMV

I for one have never seen any objective proof of this "5 year life limit" for helmets. Yet, perhaps due to superstition or just for change, I do swap them out every 5. By then they're pretty well used anyway. I have a Multitec now, which replaced my old Arai Quantum/f. My next helmet will be another Arai. I'm counting down the days!

-MKL

I never bought into the 5 year program - but the other day my favorite bucket fell off the seat of my bike - Guess what - a 4 inch crack in the top of the bucket - Now I will admit I have had this bucket for awhile - at least 4 paint jobs - but i dropped the dam thing 3 feet & it cracked - I finally made a wall hanger out of the old girl - I really like her replacement & it is a DOT but I still miss my old friend!

...so It's an old helmet, with years of UV exposure probably, it's been painted 4 times, with the inevitable exposure to abrasives, solvents, etc......and it cracked following a 3 feet drop.

Luckily you didn't put it to the real test and crash whilst wearing it! And you say you 'never bought into the 5 year program' !!! I bet you do from now on. Sheesh! You were lucky.

Hey lgb, not an expert but I do know that most plastics have a limited life. They tend to get brittle as they're subjected to ozone and UV rays. Even something kept in a box in a closet will age and get brittle although I'm sure at a much slower rate. Good luck.

Archived