IGNORED

Kwikover cover on an '11 RT

kltk165

Purchased a Kwikover cover made by LaminarLip for my 2011 R1200RT a few weeks ago and had a chance to use it on a couple of trips the last couple of weeks. I was never one for carrying a cover as I didn't want to take up any bag space as covers are pretty big even when they're packed. I couldn't be happier with this cover. That it takes up no space in the bags, stores in its own pouch and goes on/off in 30 seconds or less is exactly what I was hoping for. Can't get much more convenient than that. Those features assure it will actually get used.

Definitely keeps the dew off whatever is covered. Seat, gauges, electronics. It hasn't seen rain yet and, to be honest, I'm not sure how it's going to do in the rain as it's made from some sort of stretch material. I would feel more comfortable if the top was made with some sort of rainproof nylon or something. Time will tell. Sun coverage is definitely there.

Even with the topbox on it fits fine on the seat. I actually sat on the back seat today with the topbox on to see if you could feel it. I'ma big guy at 5'11", 31" inseam and 260lbs. I couldn't tell it was there.

Here is a link to some pics. They aren't great but you get the idea.

The only problem I had with it, and this was probably my own fault. After my last trip I came home and the bike sat for a week. It was very damp the morning I left for home with a heavy mist in the air and the cover was pretty damp. I opened up the cover today to take the pics and there were brown spots over the inside of the cover. Mold maybe? Sent mail to Kwikover to see what can be used to clean it up safely. We'll see what they say.

Received the following response from LaminarLip. We'll try their solution and see how it goes.

"Hello Thomas,

I've been thinking about what one might be able to use to kill off any mold on the cover. Whereas I know that a bleach/water solution would normally do the trick on any other surface, that might discolor the fabric. So I thought perhaps some foot spray (one that kills athlete's foot) being a fungicide, might work, but spray in a small, inconspicuous spot first to see if any discoloration occurs. After the mold is dead (probably three-five days spraying each day) hand wash the cover in warm soapy water and dry thoroughly before stowing it back into the canvas bag. Let me know that that works.

Glad you like the cover!

Safe and pleasant rides,

Leo"

Looks like an interesting product but anything I'd consider using would be to keep the moisture off while away from home and the protection of the garage. Not so worried about dust or sun as I don't use it to commute.

I'm impatient, so I took a huge risk and sprayed some Tilex Mold/Mildew cleaner on a small spot to see if it would discolor, or damage, the cover. Let it sit for about 30 minutes, mold gone. No discoloration. No visible damage to cover. Sprayed down the rest of the cover, let it sit an hour and rinsed generously then hand washed it with Tide Hand Wash soap. No more mold spots. Put it back on the bike today after letting it air dry. Fits fine.

Archived