IGNORED

Aerostitch apparel VS. BMW apparel

jbr7t

Looking at getting some new riding gear. Anybody have experience with either Aerostitch or BMW apparel? I like the aerostitch stuff but I'm nervouse about spending so much without being able to try it on.

AeroStitch will repair "worn out" gear also. My 10 year old RoadCrafter has been rebuilt once, about 3 years ago. Replaced much of the velcro and a couple of zippers. I think the bill was $180, and it effectively doubled the useful life of the suit. I wear mine a minimum of 5 days a week nearly year round (comuter). If it is raining you zip up, if it's hot you unzip. The pockets are in the right place, and there are plenty of them. It just works! When you order from AeroStitch, if it doesn't fit, they will rework it to make it fit. Maybe charge you for the alteration, but they will make it fit the way you want it to. You can ride to Duluth and get measured if you wish. I have no affiliation with AeroStitch, just a very satisfied customer. I have no experience with BMW apparel.

I really like my BMW gear. I have a Savannah 2 jacket, Airflow 2 jacket, Airflow 2 pants, and a pair of Summer 2 pants. The only piece that doesn't get used is the Airflow 2 jacket. I always reach right past it for the Savannah 2. Its all great gear, and the favorite out of the gear I have owned. That being said, I bought it all used. I would have a really hard time justifying buying any of it new.

For cooler weather I have a First Gear Katmandu (under 80 degrees). I have to say that it is an awesome jacket, especially for the price.

I have looked into Aerostitch many times, but could never pull the trigger. My biggest concern is trying to stay cool in the summer when commuting. I will need a new pair of pants soon, and I'm heavily leaning towards something from Motoport.

I have owned most everything brand wise over the year but these days I wear a darien top and bottom most of the time, Very versatile....I suspect I will have them for a long long time....

I own both, a Darien coat and pants and a BMW rally coat. The major difference that I have found is the material. They both have pockets and zippers everywhere but the Bmw cloth passes more air thru it slightly better than the Darien. The BMW vents better all the way around. That is a plus when the weather will warm up and a minus in the cold. In So. Cal. summers the BMW Rally will go to about 85 maybe 90 degrees and then I switch to Summer stuff. The Aerostitch get warm at 85 degrees. Conversly, when the temp. goes down the Darien is good for 15 degrees lower.

BTW I have a Zillion miles on both and the zippers on both are the first thing to give me trouble.

JOHNNYWISHBONE

i have a lot of the motorrad stuff. high quality, hi price. i should wear it more, in case fall off, but it makes you look funny. the aerostitch makes you look even funnier. i have 1 and 2 piece roadcrafter suits. this stuff is easier to roll up and pack than the motorrad stuff. aerostitch service and repair is uber excellent.

Both are very well made and $$, but if, like the others mentioned, divide it over the useful life of the item, and compare that to all of the other gear you have purchased in the last ten years, then the $$ does make sense. Buy either one, you will be happy. I have had both BMW and Stich gear.

Yes, it can be repaired.

But, I have a friend who crashed w/a new DArien.

Wore a small hole in the back/upper shoulder area, about 2 inches.

Only damage.

They wanted $175 to repair.

He bought a returned new jacket from them for $250 instaed.

Not saying that is unreasonable, just saying.

Fit more important as all, BMW, Aero, Motorport, make outstanding gear.

I have a two piece stich which I love, I bought some BMW stuff (summer suit) which is also great.

you get what you pay for.

Purchased a Darien jacket and pants in 2002 and wear it every ride until the temp gets above 75 then I switch to the BMW Airflow 3 suit. Take a good look at the fitment chart when looking and give Aerostich a call if you have questions. They have great customer service and will help you with your fitment...

:thumbsup:

Riding for over 20 years and I have owned Aerostitch and BMW gear. They both sell excellent but over-priced riding gear. My Darien sits unused in my closet. I sold my Roadcrafter (too hot for here in Florida.) A recent stop at the Aerostitch factory outlet in Duluth, MN showed me that even their "reduced price" stuff was overpriced. Olympia, First Gear, and other manufacturers make gear that is excellent for much less money.

I own a one piece Roadcrafter and very much like it. I own a BMW vented suit for really hot weather. The zipper on the BMW suit is broken/worn out after only 3 seasons.

Most of the newer BMW gear is made in CHINA! Check the labels carefully.... I dunno about you folks, but I have a tough time spending big $$ on clothing made in China. The Roadcrafter is still made in Duluth, USA.

I dunno about you folks, but I have a tough time spending big $$ on clothing made in China. The Roadcrafter is still made in Duluth, USA.

I agree completely. I constantly laugh at my buddies wearing their Chinese-made Harley gear with American flags all over it.

High end European manufacturers initially moved a lot of their production to parts of Europe with lower labor costs--my TCX boots say, "made in the EU." But now they're following U.S. companies on the China thing. I've gotten products from Kuhn Rikon, Hugo Boss, and Josef Siebel which were made in China.

I like the aerostitch stuff but I'm nervouse about spending so much without being able to try it on.

How it works with Aerostich is that you buy a "sample" suit after giving the stich folks many of your dimensions. The "sample" suit is not your final suit and intended to be returned. You have no obligation to buy the final suit and get all but the shipping $$ back. The cost for doing this is a bit high. But, the process works.

I have a RC two piece and ended up buying two "sample" suits before making my final suit purchace.

Both "sample" suits, I rode on my bike (you must not dirty the suit). These new suits are stiff and Aerostich says they settle in after 200miles. Well, it took a lot more miles than that. But now, after one year of owning the RC, the fit is real nice and comfy. The RC is built like a tank.

Sorry, I have no experiences with BMW gear.

Keith..What size is your airflow 2 jacket that doesn't get used???

I am looking at the "clearance" stitch stuff. I can't bring myself to drop a grand +/- on gear. I do ride nearly everyday... but that's a lot of money. Also, here in VA the weather hits such extremes. Over 100 in the summer and below freezing in the winter, plus rain. I know no gear is going to be ideal for that broad spectrum temp but I'm hoping to find something that is ok when its uber hot and that i can throw on and extra layer when its uber cold.

I really like my BMW gear. I have a Savannah 2 jacket, Airflow 2 jacket, Airflow 2 pants, and a pair of Summer 2 pants. The only piece that doesn't get used is the Airflow 2 jacket. I always reach right past it for the Savannah 2. Its all great gear, and the favorite out of the gear I have owned. That being said, I bought it all used. I would have a really hard time justifying buying any of it new.

For cooler weather I have a First Gear Katmandu (under 80 degrees). I have to say that it is an awesome jacket, especially for the price.

I have looked into Aerostitch many times, but could never pull the trigger. My biggest concern is trying to stay cool in the summer when commuting. I will need a new pair of pants soon, and I'm heavily leaning towards something from Motoport.

I've only had experience with Aerostich, and not BMW stuff (except for some shirts, etc.) The Aerostich products are pretty straightforward--simple, high-quality construction, using sturdy, long-lasting materials.

Fit is pretty true to the advertised sizes and they're good about exchanges (though you will end up eating shipping costs). Also, they offer a wide range of alterations, so you can truly customize the fit of their products. I had a Roadcrafter one-piece for years and sold it a couple of years ago. I think it was about 10 years old and it still looked like new. I've made the switch to a Darien outfit (had both for a while) because it's much cooler--flows a lot more air--and can be worn in temperatures that were just too hot for the Roadcrafter.

What I'd say about Aerostich products is this: They're expensive, but you can easily expect to get 5-10 years of usage out of them if you take care of them. If you need or want a customized fit, it's easily done. If you ever need a repair, the answer will be "yes" (within limits, of course). They work as well as anything on the market, though you will often hear criticism of the fact that the Cordura fabric is stiff when new.

The bottom line is that, while expensive, you get what you pay for.

I'll toss one more idea out for your consideration: I think Firstgear makes some awfully nice stuff at a significantly lower price point. I've got long arms and legs, relative to my height, and they're one of the few companies that offers a wide range of tall sizes. Whatever your size, though, they make nice stuff that works very well for less than half the cost of Aerostich or BMW garments. Worth a look.

Keith..What size is your airflow 2 jacket that doesn't get used???

I am looking at the "clearance" stitch stuff. I can't bring myself to drop a grand +/- on gear. I do ride nearly everyday... but that's a lot of money. Also, here in VA the weather hits such extremes. Over 100 in the summer and below freezing in the winter, plus rain. I know no gear is going to be ideal for that broad spectrum temp but I'm hoping to find something that is ok when its uber hot and that i can throw on and extra layer when its uber cold.

I'll check tonight. BMW sizing numbers still confuse the hell out of me. In "normal" sizes, I would consider it a XL but with a bit of a slim cut. I remember it being a little snug in the shoulders and the gut. I'll ship it down to you if you want to check it out and try it on. Just give me a call.

I'll toss one more idea out for your consideration: I think Firstgear makes some awfully nice stuff at a significantly lower price point. I've got long arms and legs, relative to my height, and they're one of the few companies that offers a wide range of tall sizes. Whatever your size, though, they make nice stuff that works very well for less than half the cost of Aerostich or BMW garments. Worth a look.

+1.......the First Gear XL Tall sizes fit me perfectly. The only product I've bought that I wasn't happy with was a pair of gloves I picked up around '99-'00. I know they have made many improvements since then. Everything else has fit great and survived everything I've thrown at it. I would never hesitate to recommend their products

FWIW, Firstgear is about to introduce a new version of their Kilimanjaro jackets - looks pretty good to me design-wise and price-wise.

My first jacket I got when I bought my 03 nighthawk was a Firstgear. I still have it and it's in pretty good shape. Sadly doesn't fit anylonger. Somehow it shrunk significantly ;)

I've been using Olympia the past few years. I bought a new Olympia airglide jacket a month or so ago when I picked up my most recent bike. The XXL was very tight thru the shoulders /arms so I went with the XXXL WAY toooo big everywhere except the arm length. Plus I'm losing some weight so it's getting even worse.

I'll give you a call on the bmw jacket Keith..I'd def like to check it out.

If anyone has a stitch they'd let me tryout that would be awesome too!

I tried on every size Olympia has to offer and found the same thing. Their dimensions are way too off for my body type. Tourmaster stuff fits me a little better, but the stuff from First Gear is like it was custom tailored for me.

Archived