IGNORED

Non-OEM Volume Control Gizmo?

twilmotte

Looking for a gizmo(s) that will amplify sound from Ipod or Zumo mp3 player and has a volume control switch which can be mounted near the left hand grip or near left outside of tank bag. My '04 had the BMW radio with the handy multi-function switches for mute/mode and channel change/volume, but "Alas," my '04 is now sold and gone. If I can't find a nice used late model R1200RT with the BMW radio, I'm going to have to rig up a volume control system to use with my Baehr comm system and headset (which I still have). Any suggestions are sincerely appreciated. :)

Evening Tom

A commonly used small amp with an in-line volume control is the Boostaroo. Not too expensive & works fairly decently. Only thing lacking is that the volume control is in-line & not exactly remotely mounted (I suppose it could be with a little ingenuity).

At one time I used one to increase the volume output on my Zumo & it actually worked pretty good. I have since hacked the voice files & increased their output & normalized the MP3 to a higher DB level so really don't use it much anymore.

Check out the AmpliRider.

+1 on the AmpliRider ... it works perfectly and the remote volume can be mounted most anywhere. Its also a simple way to integrate 3 audio sources. I use it to mix my Zumo, radar and bike to bike.

Thanks, Tom. I think the AmpliRider is exactly what I'm looking for. Any pics of how you mounted/configured it on your bike? Thanks, again. :-)

Oh dear. It's time to fess up.

"Hi, My name's Tom and my 'other bike' is a KLR650".

Essentially it was just mounted to the crossbar of the handlebars.

5129405467_dc9379ae03_z.jpg

I modified this particular unit so that the power leads would come out the back. It's also, obviously, the version with the integral volume control rather than the remote.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. I think the AmpliRider is exactly what I'm looking for. Any pics of how you mounted/configured it on your bike? Thanks, again. :-)

Mine is mounted to the radio blank on the left side of the tank. I just drilled a hole and popped it in..almost. I had a flexible connector, about three inches long, I'd gotten from somewhere...I can't find them anywhere any more. Perhaps the Amplirider guy could rig up something for you, he's very, VERY accommodating. The Amplirider is advertised as a real amp, i.e. improving sound, but I find it really just is a very handy volume control. I run mine to my Autocom unit, and control audio volume with it.

Here's a couple clickable thumbnails (the knob with the red light is my heat troller.

EDIT: the side view is actually the heat troller, not the amplirider, but you get the idea. I do think you'll need some sort of extension for the Amplirider knob.

th_IMG_1947.jpg

th_IMG_1945.jpg

The Mixit is an excellent device.

In the interest of full disclosure, there is at least one feature on the Mixit that the AmpliRider does not have. That is the 'priority' treatment on one of the input channels. The way this works is that when the priority channel becomes active it mutes all the other channels.

That may be of importance to you.

Tom

Thanks for those tips on the AmpliRider! I've been using a poor quality coil cord with inline thumbwheel for a few years (now broken) to safely and conveniently modulate audio volume output from my Zumo/GXM30.

After trading emails with Gary at Electric-Avenues (I'm still humming that tune), I now have one on order. I chose the version with an integrated volume knob with special request to dress the power and ground leads out the rear of the enclosure. I'll mount it on my BMR shelf on accessory tab where the clip-on light is shown in the picture.

354052726.jpg

Effjay -- I'm thinking of getting the BMR Co-pilot to mount my Zumo 550 and XM radio/antenna. Does your BMR shelf cut down on the glare on instruments? And how much vibration do you get on the Zumo mount while on rough roads? I like the looks of your set-up, but just wondering if it's sturdy enough for you.

Effjay -- I'm thinking of getting the BMR Co-pilot to mount my Zumo 550 and XM radio/antenna. Does your BMR shelf cut down on the glare on instruments? And how much vibration do you get on the Zumo mount while on rough roads? I like the looks of your set-up, but just wondering if it's sturdy enough for you.

The BMR Co-pilot system is rock-solid in mounting, yet requires drilling no holes by using existing fairing cowling attachment point machine screws in combo with rubber washers between to avoid blemishes. I chose this system after admiring other BMWST members' similar set ups. I got lucky when a gent advertized on this forum the complete set of parts shown plus a few other BMR accessory parts left over from a group buy (I bought everything and still have a few parts remaining). The shelf overhang helps reduce sun glare, but only to the point of sun direction. Not much helps with bright sunlight at your back.

IMO, location of GPS unit is ideal with easy viewing while riding without being significantly distracting (its in line of sight without blocking the road). BMR sells a $60 SunVisor for the Zumo now which I don't have. I suspect same issue with sun direction would pertain.

• 1 month later...

I bought and installed an AmpliRider with the remote volume controller and (so far) I am exceptionally happy with it. Just wanted to provide feedback to everyone who viewed or posted comments about this product. I wasn't sure if I could find something as handy as the BMW factory volume control that came with the radio/cassette player on my '04 RT, but the AmpliRider remote volume controller is a very suitable solution. I mounted it on the left side panel where BMW factory radio/CD player controls would be. I can operate the volume controller with heavy winter gloves. The amplifier is mounted under the pax seat out of view and out of weather. The AmpliRider is a very functional product that I hope will give me years of trouble-free service. Thanks for the recommendations from members of this forum. :)

Archived