IGNORED

Recommendations on BMR Co-pilot?

twilmotte

I just bought a 2009 RT and need to decide upon a mount system for my Zumo 550 and XM radio/antenna. I think I like the BMR Co-pilot shelf because of the extra "hood" it provides over the instrument cluster. I haven't ridden the RT very much yet, but I have noticed the "multifunction" display is very difficult to see during the day with all the glare and a tinted helmet faceshield. I'm open to suggestions and recommendations from anyone. TIA.

I have been using a BMR shelf on my R1200RT for the last 90K miles with my Zumo 550 mounted dead center. This layout works very well for me. The GPS is in my lower field of vision and I do not have to look at the dash for my speed or when the next turn is coming up.

Works very well, especially with bi-focals.

Hi. You are not the first to notice that "small" issue. ;)

The Co-Pilot is a very nice bit of kit to mount your hardware but I am afraid it won't do much good as far as glare is concerned.

Before buying the Co-Pilot I built myself a mock up in cardboard to see if it would help with glare. I didn't so, since I had no immediate need for the shelf, I put off the purchase.

If you just want the Co-Pilot to mount your gear, do it. It's a very nice bit of kit. But don't expect it to help that much with glare.

Thanks, Kakugo. Can anything be done about the glare?

I think the best thing you can do is cut a piece of cardboard to size and go for a ride to see if it helps.

Some owners say the shelf helps, for others it's just useful to install GPS, radio antenna etc.

If you do a search about the glare you'll see this is a pretty debated topic. Some installed the K1200GT instrument cover (requiring minor alteration to the tupperware), other used anti-glare film for PC... results are mixed and are probably down to each individual rider's characteristics (height, riding posture etc).

I have a BMR shelf on my LT and built my own for my RTP....

I'd be lost without them..............

(fixed glare [ish] on the LT, not on the RTP...............

Well I don't have a glare issue with my BMR shelf, because I do not look at gauges. With my speed displayed on the GPS, plus the Zumo will warn me when to look for fuel, I have no need to look at it.

Except for the occasional glance to check for warning lights or how close I am to redline, that is it. I look up ahead at the road for traffic and deer, not the gauges. They will not hit me or run me of the road. Besides when you change direction, the glare is gone, turn more often. :)

Thanks for all the recommendations and photos. I 'm going with the BMR Co-pilot. Looks sturdy and easy to install. I also like the versatility to add additional farkles (such as XM radio/antenna) on the side arms. Farklizing my new ride is kinda fun. :-) But expensive. :-(

Archived