IGNORED

Replacement Windshield?

twilmotte

I have the VStream - it's my 2nd (the first one is on the 1150). There's a post out there I did back this summer comparing the 3 shields I have for the bike & the VStream is the one that stays on. It's got great range, good coverage, nice air pocket, optically clear. The air pocket extends across my shoulders as well. When I want to stay out of the air I sit normally, when I want some breeze to send air up my sleeves on hot days I just poke my arms out to the sides. When I'm riding in the rain it keeps the water off my face shield too.

Two thumbs up for the VStream!

Make your own. Easiest to do so by modifying a commercial one. I do. Like many things, best to design stuff to suit yourself.

But be sure your plastic skills are trustworthy since you might lose your life if not.

Ben

Make your own. Easiest to do so by modifying a commercial one. I do. Like many things, best to design stuff to suit yourself.

But be sure your plastic skills are trustworthy since you might lose your life if not.

Ben

Ben, I enjoyed reading this reply because I like things that are "lunatic fringe." Have you indeed made your own RT windscreen, by modifying a commercial one (not able to reconcile 'make' and 'modify')? You recommend that everyone unsatisfied with the stock one do the same? And the cost for a mistake is death? Fascinating.

:)

I'm an incorrigible DIYer, esp. when it comes to ergos of my toys or things I use a lot. It is often the only way to get stuff to fit right. And there are many subtleties to riding posture and windscreen design (almost as subtle as suspension design).

Yes, I've made or re-made half dozen windshields, most often working from a used unit made for something like a Harely I found locally. While you can cut Lexan or lucite just fine, not easy to get nice curves without a pizza oven available and practice (which I don't claim to have).

Finishing off with Saeng edging has good advantages because you can get a bigger wind action without needing a bigger windscreen. If you like the looks.

Sorry, I don't know about RT screens.

About the "death" comment, I was being truthful if dramatic that there's a risk if the screen gets unhinged in a headwind at 110 mph*. My custom is to provide general suggestions: only if you know (or learn) enough to take it from there, then my conscience is clear.

I hope you will take it from there... and road test.

Has anybody mentioned Gustaphson who makes and sells bike windscreens in Florida???

Ben

*yup, been there with all my screens

I went with the medium California Scientific on my '09 RT and I'm quite pleased with it.

Wayne

The medium CalSci works for me as well.

Me too.

After 3 wind screens (stock plus two others) the medium Cal Sci. is, (to me) far & away the best of the lot. While extremely stable at high speed and in windy conditions, there is less tubulence for the passenger, plus the rider gets some breeze vs. just dead air sometimes experienced on some of the larger after market wind screens.

I went with the medium California Scientific on my '09 RT and I'm quite pleased with it.

Wayne

The medium CalSci works for me as well.

Me too.

After 3 wind screens (stock plus two others) the medium Cal Sci. is, (to me) far & away the best of the lot. While extremely stable at high speed and in windy conditions, there is less tubulence for the passenger, plus the rider gets some breeze vs. just dead air sometimes experienced on some of the larger after market wind screens.

Yep, that about sums up my experience also.

Archived