IGNORED

Are you an "Innie" or an "Outie"?

DaveTheAffable

DaveTheAffable

No... not belly buttons. :dopeslap:

Rain season is approaching or upon us in many areas.

If you wear gloves that have a "cuff" in wet weather, do you:

- Wear the cuff inside your jacket sleeve, so the rain runs down your sleeve and "onto" the gloves

- Outside the jacket sleeve and try to seal/prevent water from running "into" your glove?

"Mr Announcer, do we have time for a follow up question?"

"Why yes, Mr Affable... I believe we do..."

"Oh goody..."

What glove/brand have you found particularly waterproof AND comfortable? (This excludes rubber plumbing gloves and rubber chickens) Not as concerned about warmth.

Thanks All!

outie. sleeves on top of gloves with cuffs. Waterproof gloves. And strangely I enjoy riding in the rain, just not in heavy traffic.

I wear Gerbings electrics. Don't always plug them in unless cold.

I thought "outie" was gloves on the outside.

Usually, around here (Seattle) the problem is not heavy rain, but cold air and drizzle or light rain. So - gloves on the outside - mostly to keep out the draft.

But, there are times when the water runs down and fills up my gloves. There's gotta be a solution to this - like a double cuff sleeve. Maybe some drain holes in my gloves....

DaveTheAffable
I thought "outie" was gloves on the outside.

Usually, around here (Seattle) the problem is not heavy rain, but cold air and drizzle or light rain. So - gloves on the outside - mostly to keep out the draft.

But, there are times when the water runs down and fills up my gloves. There's gotta be a solution to this - like a double cuff sleeve. Maybe some drain holes in my gloves....

Ohhh... Thank you! There is someone besides me who has thought about this more than once,

...like a double cuff sleeve. Maybe some drain holes in my gloves....

Yeah... I was thinking a double cuff, but a "drain" hole at the "inner wrist" area.

Update to my own post:

Well... I asked, then Googled. Dianese and others make them.

Dianese Double Cuff Gloves

DaveTheAffable

Well...

Dianese don't make them any more...

RevIt used to make one called Genius H2O... they're gone.

Maybe double cuff don't work so well?

Mr. Announcer says, "You know you're largely talking to yourself.."

"Yeah, I know. They're all over at Occupy somethin or other."

I'm gloves inside in all weathers.

If it's cold or raining, the jacket cuff gets zipped to keep out the draught, or rain.

If it's warmer, the cuff stays open to let some air into the jacket.

I prefer a thin glove (BMW mesh at the moment), but have a pair of goretex alpinestars for winter use.

The downside with thicker gloves is obviously less feel for the controls.

There again there's not much feel with frozen fingers either lol.

Ian

I wear my waterproof gloves under the cuffs of my jacket. If I know I'm going to be in it all day I will put a pair of the Aerostich triple digits on over them and those go over the cuff.

My old waterproof gloves could not be tucked into the cuffs, so I wore them over top. It worked fine for cloud bursts, but after a day in the rain, the only thing that was still dry were my finger tips. Water had wicked its way down the cuff all the way through the gloves. They typically took 2 days to dry out after that. That made me an unhappy camper and I started looking for other solutions. Since moving to "under the cuff", my hands haven't been wet from riding since.

Gotta toss out a plug for Held gloves as well. Best gloves I've ever owned and 100% waterproof for all day wet riding.

I wear my waterproof gloves under the cuffs of my jacket. If I know I'm going to be in it all day I will put a pair of the Aerostich triple digits on over them and those go over the cuff.

My old waterproof gloves could not be tucked into the cuffs, so I wore them over top. It worked fine for cloud bursts, but after a day in the rain, the only thing that was still dry were my finger tips. Water had wicked its way down the cuff all the way through the gloves. They typically took 2 days to dry out after that. That made me an unhappy camper and I started looking for other solutions. Since moving to "under the cuff", my hands haven't been wet from riding since.

Gotta toss out a plug for Held gloves as well. Best gloves I've ever owned and 100% waterproof for all day wet riding.

Funny.

Almost my post.

Held +1

Then, depending on rain and speeds, waterproof glove/over, or gloves under with Aerostitch over.

We have been known to carry glove liners, gloves, overgloves, so we have with us 8-10 pair.

Do not like cold or wet when riding.

Those are the rain gloves I have as well. I was completely baffled why they were wet on the inside when I first used them in the rain. Admittedly, I was going straight into the remnants of a tropical storm for ten hours heading down to the last Fall BRR. The discussion here confirms my thoughts after the fact, that wearing the gloves on the outside, allowed the water to come down from the jacket sleeve and get in that way.

At this point, I use this to choose what will work depending on what type of rain I am riding into.

P.S. - Personally, from reading the thread title, I was really worried we were going to learn way too much about the other board members...

BMW rainsuit sleeves end in a double cuff. The inner is tight with a elastic edge, the outer is loose with a Velcro closing. You can put your gloves between the two cuffs and you are done.

Something from the commercial fishing industry: "wristers". A neoprene wrist cuff. All my fishing raingear has built in neoprene wrists, and they are the cat's meow. I've thought about picking up a pair for the bike, but it was never very pressing, so I haven't done it. I'll pick up a pair one of these days and report back.

Neoprene Wristers

I used to ride with the glove gauntlet over the end of jacket sleeve thinking it would seal up better in the wind/rain like I do for snowboarding. However, a full day of riding in the rain had my gloves filled with water from rain beading up on my sleeve dripping down into the water proof gloves kinda circumventing the whole water proof thing. Ever since I've ridden the opposite with the sleeves covering the glove gauntlet and I havn't had a leak since.

Archived