IGNORED

Replacing GPS 550 Zumo should I upgrade to 665?

Tigwelder

My 550 stopped working and am looking to replace with 665. I like the larger screen and MP3. Thought I read somewhere they had some issues. Would like some user advice.

My 550 has "stopped working" twice. Sent it back for replacement. They usually charge me $100 for out of warranty exchange. I think they know they have some issues that shouldn't be there in a fairly expensive unit. Touch screen issues both time for me.

As for upgrading to the newer unit, if it does some things the 550 won't and you want those features it is worth it. On the other hand I just bought a new Nuvi 1490 to replace the C550 Garmin I had been using in one of the cages. Big screen, but other than that the C550 was a much better operating unit in my opinion. New isn't always really better.

I upgraded from the 550 to the 665. Oh boy, that is one nice GPS!!!!!!!! I have had no issues other than learning to navigate the menus as it is completely different than the 550. No regrets here!!

LINKY

My 550 stopped working and am looking to replace with 665. I like the larger screen and MP3. Thought I read somewhere they had some issues. Would like some user advice.

My 550 includes mp3 also. I use it frequently

If you want XM you will need the 665. If not then the 660.

Identical units except for that. Oh, the battery life on the 660 is 5 hours, 665 about 3.

Go to Garmin and do the compare thingy.

I have the 660 with no issues so far.

Good luck.

Terry

Some folks have reported missing the buttons. My touch screen went belly up in the middle of Utah this summer, being able to use the buttons got me home. All that said I'm thinking of upgrading because I like the lane assist on the cheep nuvi I've got in my car. I assume the 665 has that and the speed limit reminder. I like that too.

Yes, it has the lane assist and speed limit reminder. Kinda cool how they work.

Some folks have reported missing the buttons. My touch screen went belly up in the middle of Utah this summer, being able to use the buttons got me home. All that said I'm thinking of upgrading because I like the lane assist on the cheep nuvi I've got in my car. I assume the 665 has that and the speed limit reminder. I like that too.

Yes, it has the lane assist and speed limit reminder. Kinda cool how they work.

Buttons didn't help my non functioning touch screen Zumo. Lane assist is good, I have it on the 1490. BUT, the speed display is not to be trusted. I have found many 45 mph zones where it reads 55 mph and up.

I just got a 665 and used it for the first time on an 1800 mile trip last weekend. I have a 550 also. I have to say, the 665 is one nice piece of equipment.

If money is of concern, and you're not offended by Harley Davidson. The HD Road Tech Zumo 665 at Surdyke.com is your best bet. Then go to Amazon.com and get a Mack GPS warranty for GPS up to $1000 for $17+$5 shipping. You'll get a two year Garmin/HD warranty and the Mack warranty doesn't start until the factory warranty runs out. 5 years of coverage for $22. It's the best deal on the net. You'll probably have to call Surdyke to get $10 shipping. Don't fall off the chair when you see the shipping rates on their website.. That's what I did and I couldn't be happier.. Pairs just fine with the BMW helmet comm system. It won't play nice if you have an HTC Droid Incredible smartphone though..

If you want XM you will need the 665. If not then the 660.

Terry

I have XM Radio on the Zumo 550 if that's what you're referring to. Works fine.

Both the 665 and 550 are great units. Both are XM ready, have MP3 player, Audible Books, are allow you to create custom routes with MapSource or Basecamp.

If the 550 has a touch screen failure, this can be replaced for minimal cost. Check out www.zumoforums,com and search for screen replacement.

I love the XM NavWeather feature on the 665 when taking those long rides. (Extra cost feature)

If the budget can handle it, buy the 665, then fix the 550 as your backup.

Archived