IGNORED

Zumo 550 with GMX30 radio, question

RevRay

Hello all,

My question is can the cable on the GMX radio/antenna be cut to a much shorter lenght 24inchs, trying to clean up installation to make it easier to transfer from one bike to another.

Thanks,

That cable has both power and signal in it because that is not just an antenna, it IS the XM receiver. The Zumo only provides the man/machine interface. Having said that, the signal part of it is suppose to be in wave length increments (half wave, quarter wave etc) but I think it is less important in receivers and more important in transmitters. Maybe one of our sparkies will chime in.

I have wondered that myself. I suspect there are some complications with cutting the wire (s). Since it is the reciever and antenna, there may be several wires involved to communicate with the Zumo unit.

Go here, this is what you want! You screw the Garmin mount to this, than screw the antenea to the top part. What I did was bundle the extra antenea wire neatly and all you have to do is simply plug in the power cable, plop the gps in the cradle and you are off and running. Works like a champ!

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045051052052085/Default.aspx

I cut a pretty long piece of cable out of mine several years ago when using a GXM with my 376C and didn't have any problems. It was about 15 inches afterward.

The cable is not part of the active antenna component and therefore doesn't need to be some multiple of some certain wavelength.

I cut mine about six inches from the puck to route it cleanly on my previous bike. Soldered the wires with a light duty soldering iron, put heat shrink insulation on it, and and has worked fine for a few years.

So, like malibu said, the answer is yes, no problem.

The wire is not the antenna; it just carries power and data. The puck is receiver and antenna.

I cut mine about six inches from the puck to route it cleanly on my previous bike. Soldered the wires with a light duty soldering iron, put heat shrink insulation on it, and and has worked fine for a few years.

So, like malibu said, the answer is yes, no problem.

The wire is not the antenna; it just carries power and data. The puck is receiver and antenna.

Thanks for all the responces. First chance I get...

Archived