IGNORED

BMW Supplemental Brake Light

twilmotte

I think I'd like to add this to my RT despite the $169 price tag.......

Price: $129.00

Go for it.

You just saved $40 :thumbsup:

I think the wiring harness costs another $39, but I may be mistaken.

---John.

I believe the BMW unit is brake light only. I use these . They are brake and tail lights both. I don't know if the CANBUS likes them or not. My old R1100/RT doesn't mind them. Not hard to install, and they have have been totally relieable for over 30k miles.

I believe the BMW unit is brake light only. I use these . They are brake and tail lights both. I don't know if the CANBUS likes them or not. My old R1100/RT doesn't mind them. Not hard to install, and they have have been totally relieable for over 30k miles.

I use something like that on a CANBUS bike, no problem at all. I tapped into a switched power line and the brake light line in the wiring harness just like a non-CANBUS bike.

I use this VERY bright NON flashing light.

http://www.maxxima.com/products/product_detail/10/M42205R%20Surface%20Mount%20Stop/Tail/Turn%20Light/view/.html

It has 3 wires but on our CanBus bikes you only need to attach the BRAKE and GROUND wires. The CanBus does the dimming for the RUN mode.

Got it here

http://www.thelighthouseinc.com/asp/default.asp

Total OTD cost??

$16.50 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I installed the BMW supplemental brake light on my RT after following a fellow rider that had one installed. I was on the freeway sometimes a 1/4 mile behind him during daytime and was really surprised how well it was visible. The quick flashing is great and really do get people attention.

Since I knew it worked well I didn't feel like experimenting with anything else.

The only thing that was frustrating is that it came with everything showed on the picture, but NO instructions on how to install and where to plug it! I still don't get that one... May be it was just my box...

I would definitively buy again though.

Bike is a 2009 RT. I considered Hyper-lites, but I've helped a friend install replacement Hyper-lites TWICE that have been replaced under warranty because the wire broke off where it enters the casing. They are less expensive, but I value reliability.

That is good to know. Let us know what you decide on. I may need to follow your lead. My only experience with hyper lites has been good, so maybe I was just lucky that one time. We'll see.

I'm now Trying to decide on aux front lights. I have used PIAAs and was happy with them. just wondering what most people are using these days.

John

That is good to know. Let us know what you decide on. I may need to follow your lead. My only experience with hyper lites has been good, so maybe I was just lucky that one time. We'll see.

I'm now Trying to decide on aux front lights. I have used PIAAs and was happy with them. just wondering what most people are using these days.

John

Moto Lights with the 50watt yellow bulbs, the housings turned 1/4 bubble up from horizontal. I get these bulbs from Bulbster. I didn't have much luck with the Moto Light bulbs lasting very long.

I've got Moto's and PIAA's.

Had great luck w/Motolights lasting 45,000 miles or more.

YMMV

I run them all the time, PIAA's sporadic use.

John,

I've run Motolights and PIAA 1100s on my '04 RT. Left the PIAAs on the bike when I sold it. Replacement bulbs for PIAAs are about $50 each. I kept the Motolights and installed them on my 2009 RT. Motolights will replace bulbs free, although I haven't had to replace either bulb yet after having them on for 5 years (and using them 100% of the time I ride). They're more expensive intially, but I wouldn't ride without them. They create a nice "triangle" light signature. Now, I need to get some flashing LED supplemental brakelights to create a bright signature from the rear.

Mine failed two weeks after the warranty ran out. BMW said:"Tough shit, it's not covered." No customer care, no credit, no apology. I love the bikes, but I hate the company.

Mine lasted about 3 years and was plug and play with no canbus issues. During the May 11 Torrey run I hit some feezing and snow conditions with lots of rain on the way up. During that trip the water proofness of the unit failed and it filled internally with water from the rain. This shorted something out in the unit causing the light to stay activated even with the ignition off. Looking closer I could see in the LED window that it was filled with water halfway up the window.

I had ridden in the rain before with no issues so I'm guessing it had something to do with the cold temps and/or age breaking down whatever seals up the unit water tight. For the price the unit should last a little longer since it costs more than aftermarket options.

I had one on my 2004 R1150RT - one LED failed over the course of its life, which off the top of my head was something like 45,000 miles until I sold that bike and got a 2009 RT.

It did not transfer over to the 2009 because the 2009 requires a CANBUS wiring harness. So I just bought a new kit with CANBUS harness (63-00-0-445-578), and so far, no issues. Looks great, works great.

Brakes NOT applied here:

r1200rtrearlights.jpg

I installed the supplemental brake light on my 2010 RT and it was very easy. No scotch locks or other splicing required. You buy the proper adapter harness for your bike and then it goes in series with the wiring harness under the seat. The trigger wire connects inside the tail light assembly. It has a double connector so that you unplug the existing tail lamp wire then connect the supplemental connector to the assembly followed by connecting the original harness to the double connector on the adapter harness. It's a very clean install. If you search here you can find pictures and instructions if you need them.

Cheers.

I installed the supplemental brake light on my 2010 RT and it was very easy. If you search here you can find pictures and instructions if you need them.

Hi, blainem. Can you provide a link? I searched "supplemental brake light installation" but came up empty. (I admit that I'm not good at searching.) How did you run the wire to the brake light without drilling? Thanks.

---John.

I have the BMW supplemental light, as well as quite a bit of neon yellow flouresant tape. Skene P3's are on the way... maybe Whelens in the future ... we'll see ;-)

Archived