IGNORED

vario side cases

Dan M

Opinions?

I'm looking at a new R1200GS. I like the look of the vario side cases but there are many alternate options.

So, considering ease of use, capacity, durability and water tightness, what do you think? I believe I'd like the fit and ease of factory cases but don't want to regret not researching alternatives.

Thanks in advance.

Water tight? Definitely not. A rain ride always left water inside the cases and a water crossing was like holding a jug under water. It filled up.

Ease of use? Very easy. Keyable to your ignition.

Durability? They don't like to fall over and take a hit. Usually causes the expansion system to not function too well after. Otherwise, not bad. Mine got pretty stiff to expand/contract but never failed.

Capacity? Not bad. The ability to expand and contract is nice.

Thing to consider? These are probably the heaviest cases known to man!!! Not kidding!! They are heavy.

The key sets cost you extra.

The rubber doo hickeys on the outside of the cases like to come out and are then lost forever leaving an additional hole to the interior for water intrusion.

For case liners I would go with Kathy's Bag Liners or RKA Luggage as they are much cheaper than the BMW branded. The Kathy's will also keep your stuff inside dry and can expand and contract with the cases. I used these with mine and loved the bag liners.

If I were to do it again I would either go with the hard cases from BMW or aftermarket. OK, I'd go aftermarket for the money savings alone.

Thanks for the info Phil.

Weight is a consideration.

Checking into the Caribu cases, including the mounting hardware the whole set weighs 33lbs. Don't know how that compares.

I like the top case, but the side cases always frustrate me. I don't like side loaders (didn't like them on my RT either). This forces me to keep anything I need access to either in my top case or tank bag. It works for me because I've been dealing with it for almost 7 years, but I still don't like it.

I would really like an aftermarket set of side cases, but that is on the back burner until I get a few other things sorted out. I'm not sure what the price premium is for a set of factory Vario bags, but I would compare it with a set of Jesse's. If the dealer is willing to toss in the bags for free, then sure......If you have to pay retail, go aftermarket.

I agree with Keith on all points. I initially put the Vario's on my '10 R12GS but after a year I decided to sell them and get Jesse's. Very happy that I did. I could not see the Vario's holding up long term, and when you're spending that much for them, might as well go ahead and spend another $300 for the Jesse's. Check out the broken Vario's over at ADV rider--mounting tabs and expander mechanisms.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've shopped several brands and agree Jesse look like a nice solid case.

I'm glad I asked. I had no idea the Varios were flimsy. The System cases on my RT have been trouble free.

No experience with the vario bags, but I had a 1200GS with aluminum BMW adventure bags and they leaked significantly. I have friends with Jesse bags that leak also. I have Happy Trails bags on my F650 and they're absolutely water tight. I suspect they would be on the 1200 also.

Archived