IGNORED

Battery Charger for 2009 R1200RT

twilmotte

I recently sold my 2004 R1150RT (with Odyssey battery) and I'd like to continue using my Battery Tender Plus to charge my 2009 R1200RT. I have installed an additional Powerlet acc socket in the right tailcone section and wired it directly to an unswitched terminal (with 5A fuse) in my Fuzeblock (which is wired directly to the OEM BMW gel battery terminals). I just re-read the RT Owners manual and it says that unless you are using the BMW battery charger specifically designed for the can-bus RT, you should disconnect the battery to charge it with a non-BMW battery charger. Huh? My question is: As long as the Battery Tender Plus connects directly to the BMW gel battery (thru an unswitched terminal of the Fuzeblock), I shouldn't have a problem, right? Is it OK to use a Battery Tender Plus on a BMW gel battery? Anyone else using this set-up without a problem?

You will be fine. Running it direct to battery is no problem whatsoever. As for the gel, non-gel answer........your charging system on the bike isn't different with a different battery so, again, you're fine.

Battery Tender Plus and a BMW charger are, by the way, made by the same company, Deltran. The BMW, big dollar, I have the BMW name and logo on it, chargers just have the ability to hold open the ZFE controlled circuit if running through the BMW socket.

Go forth and charge. :)

BMW tries to sell overpriced Chinese battery charger at any occasion... even on the owner's manual!

I have fitted an Accumate battery lead with an inline 10A fuse and charge the battery directly and I haven't caught fire yet.

Battery Tender Plus is a "trickle charger" (1.25A peak if I remember correctly) and as somebody on the MOA board pointed out "I would be very disappointed if my bike charging system cannot handle such a measly amperage".

Both the Accumate and the Battery Tender work on a 4 step charge approach.

Both run at approximately 1.2 amps.

Both are not "trickle chargers".

Come on Kakugo.

Archived