IGNORED

GPS Tank Bag

Rafigso

Anyone use a tank bag that has a built in GPS pocket built in that is see through? If so, how do you like it, what make is it, and would you recommend it?

Thanks,

Rafael

Before I spent the big bucks for the Zumo 550 and RAM mount, I borrowed out cheapo car GPS and put it in the map pocket on my tank bag. Easy enough to get power from adaptor socket to powerlet outlet on bike. It was impossible to see the screen that was facing up at the sky because of the glare.

----

Mount the GPS in your line of sight - they are distracting enough without having to look at your tank bag. I love my GPS and consider it as DANGEROUSLY distracting. In high traffic, urban/interstate kinds of areas I turn the voice on and just don't ever look at it while I'm moving. Inattention is a killer and GPS's invite you to look and fiddle. I love riding 'behind' the GPS but have learned that if it takes more than a glance to get the info I want, it is time to pull off the road and figure things out.

Mount the GPS in your line of sight - they are distracting enough without having to look at your tank bag. I love my GPS and consider it as DANGEROUSLY distracting. In high traffic, urban/interstate kinds of areas I turn the voice on and just don't ever look at it while I'm moving. Inattention is a killer and GPS's invite you to look and fiddle. I love riding 'behind' the GPS but have learned that if it takes more than a glance to get the info I want, it is time to pull off the road and figure things out.
+1

Mine is mounted almost so I cannot see it. I set my destination and ride. Listen to voice commands only. My only "activity" with the GPS, is to change the XM channel. I have, ( I think ) 7 presets. I know the preset forward and backward button without looking at the gps. I set the GPS to XM menu before I take off. I cannot get from my kitchen to the bedroom without a gps (do not laugh, my wife says it is true) but I would rather be lost than dead. Set the GPS before you leave and if you need to make changes PULL OVER.

You know, I'm conflicted with the whole distraction aspect of this. I have never used any added device on the bike, not GPS, not Phone, not Radio. I'm under the impression it would be a great distraction and not safe. However, after the long ride a few weeks ago, it really wasn't any fun having to stop 10 time trying to figure out which turn I needed. I had to get off the bike, take the gear off, get the IPAD or Phone out, open up the GPS, etc. etc...This past weekend went on a 300 mile ride and got lost for an hour because I missed a turn.

Do you guys find the GPS or radio to be a big distraction?

Thanks,

Rafael

...Do you guys find the GPS or radio to be a big distraction?

I do not find the GPS to be a big distraction on the bike (I've had one on my bike since 2005).

... Do you guys find the GPS or radio to be a big distraction? Thanks, Rafael

There's a bit of common sense that needs to be applied as to when to fiddle with it while riding :Wink:

Having said that, for me GPS is not a distraction unless you fixate on it. I've found music to be one of the greatest enhancements to riding ... there's also a volume or off control when you want.

It's not the technology, it's how you use it. My GPS sits above my speedo, right at the the top to the dash. When it zooms to announce a turn it usually catches my eye. A quick glance down is all that is required.

Yesterday I had to run a errand north of ATL ... did a quick point to point route, set the preference to 'shortest' and had a great rural-ish ride on roads totally new to me. NEVER would have found THAT way without the GPS. I DID miss a couple of turns but it was no big deal just a chance to turn into neighborhoods and practice u-turns. Once you master the proper techniques for point to point to point routing, the GPS opens up a whole new world of roads. The one cardinal rule is "if it confuses you ... pull off the road and figure it out - DON'T let it distract you". (Purists could argue that the distraction has already occurred and they would be right - there are always trade-offs)

A short day for me is 350 miles - 600 is a good day - 800+ is a long solo day. I average about 15-20K a year. I use a Starcom control unit with remote volume control and Push to Talk options. I have Sirius permanently installed into the dash of my 1150, iPod and FRS in the tankbag, bluetooth smartphone. I use earbuds. When 2-up, my wife has the ipod in her pocket and the remote control for the Sirius. If the phone rings, I pull over ... on the highway, I answer with "Leave a message, I'll get back to you".

We all accept a level of risk every time we throw a leg over a bike but it is your awareness of those risks that improves your odds.

NEVER trust a car to do the sensible thing - get a farkle that auto cancels your turn signals - try to be a courteous ambassador for the sport - expect to find loose gravel in every corner - expect to find a tractor with a wagon full of manure around every blind corner - wear abrasion protection for the day you hit the diesel spill on the entrance ramp - support any legislation that lets people thin the deer herd.

If you get a Garmin and Mapsource and would like a little help building good routes, PM me and we can do a PC session ... 30 minutes will get you a good leg up on avoiding the common pitfalls.

WOW - that was strong coffee!!

To shed light on your original question... Tank bags with clear windows make Garmins, & iPhones (probably iPads?) overheat & shut down. On warm sunny days... But who rides on warm sunny days...

Safest solution... RAM mount, high, closest to line of sight...

I just pulled the trigger on a Zumo 665 and wired it up and mounted it last weekend. I wanted to set mine up so that I could glance at it and reach it easily so that it would take less time to look at it or reach it. After considering a few options I followed the option of mounting it with a Ram system so that it sits right above the edge of my tank bag. Here is a picture of this from another web site which inspired my choice. It's the first post on the link, if you click on the pictures, they become larger. Don

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38876&highlight=zumo+wiring+RT

Archived