IGNORED

SeaFoam or Stabil for storage?

scottgr

Just wondering if there was a consensus as to which is better, SeaFoam or Stabil, for long-term storage. I've used Stabil before on a carbed bike, and things still got a little gummy. This go around I'll be storing three fuel injected bikes for a year. Anyone have experience either way?

Thanks

-sg

I noticed the same thing with Stabil that you did-the gas still got gummy and I had hard start issues after storage. Sea Foam on the other hand, didn't pose hard start issues, so I assume it was less gummy and prevented varnishing. I used the Sea Foam last year and this year.

For what it's worth, I have read on a snow blower forum that Stabil likes to congeal at cold temps and most guys stay away from it for that reason. They do recommend Sea Foam.

Good enough for a snow machine has to be good for a BMW...Right?

I've always used Stabil with good results, maybe for a 4 month or so storage on the bike, I add a little more than the recommended amount.

I also use it in fuel that I have stored for the generator, about 30 gallons on hand. I filled the cans last October, and had to use it this September, the fuel still 'smelled good' and ran fine in the generator. I planned on putting it in one of the cars and re-plenishing after a year, as I don't want it sitting past that amount of time. I'd bet either would do the job though, I always thought of Seafoam as more of a 'cleaner' but they claim it's a stabalizer as well.

Don't get me wrong rob1100r, I have used both products. When I lived in a more moderate climate Stabil didn't let me down. I live in a harsher climate now and need that extra edge. After the 1st year I lived here I did have some post storage start problems with Stabil. If Stabil gels or gels my fuel that could be problem for me on the cold night(-20F) I need the generator. Just sayin'

I have used both in boat for the winter, can't say that I noticed any difference in the spring. My boat usually stores with about 125 Gallons of fuel, and the requisite amount of SeaFoam or Stabil...whichever is available. Stabil is usually less expensive.

Don't get me wrong rob1100r, I have used both products. When I lived in a more moderate climate Stabil didn't let me down. I live in a harsher climate now and need that extra edge. After the 1st year I lived here I did have some post storage start problems with Stabil. If Stabil gels or gels my fuel that could be problem for me on the cold night(-20F) I need the generator. Just sayin'

Now THATS cold! Thank God I won't have that problem (I hope!)

Gasoline without ethanol in it stores better, I am told. You can buy such fuel at the airport, or at some lawn equipment places. At the latter, it comes in one quart or five gallon cans, for about $18/gallon. You can remove ethanol from gas yourself, but it's generally messy and dangerous to handle gasoline.

Word or warning on Airport gasoline. Even the LL (low lead) aviation gasoline has a LOT of lead in it. If your vehicle still has a decent catalytic converter in it then a tank full of Aviation LL can ruin it permanently.

Some marinas have lead-free & alcohol free gasoline but that is kind of a hit & miss deal.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Word or warning on Airport gasoline. Even the LL (low lead) aviation gasoline has a LOT of lead in it. If your vehicle still has a decent catalytic converter in it then a tank full of Aviation LL can ruin it permanently.

It'll also poison the O2 sensor. Not only will emissions be worse, but with the bike in "limp-home" mode, your MPG will suffer.

I've used Stabil for ten years, and I've not had any problems. This year I switched to StarTron. I've been using it to offset the effects of ethanol, and it's purported to serve as a fule stabilizer also. We'll see!

In the Texas heat Stabil has been useless and SeaFoam is like magic. I have even used SeaFoam after the carbs have been gunked up and it cleans em out. I will never use Stabil again.

When I was using Stabil up here I didn't take into account the effects of ethanol in the gas for storage. I found a page somewhere (sorry I can't find in now) that listed stations that sold unadulterated pure gasoline. In my town the listed Sinclair station sells all grades of gas at the same prices as ethanol laced gas.I've started to use this gas in my bike and boat. You don't need airport gas-do a search.

Steve, there is indeed a "marine-grade" StaBil and it is blue. The label says something about being made for ethanol fuels. It's getting easier to find. That's what I've used for a few years now, without problems, during our long New England winters.

pete

Thanks Pete. I have heard great success with it in humid climates like Alabama. I will try and find some before heading back to "The Stan".

Used Stabil in both bikes during Illinois winters without any issues. My ageing Honda Lawn mower is the only "vehicle" in which I use Stabil these days (now in Texas) and then for only about 4/5 months max.

Never an issue with it......

I have heard good things about Star Tron fuel stabilizer, especially if your fuel contains ethanol.

+1 on Startron. It's very concentrated and doesn't take much to do the job. Been using it for 3 years in all of my non-cage engines. My BMW dealer even endorses it (not that it mattered as I was using it before they started carrying it).

The label on Seafoam says that it is a petroleum distillate. The label on Stabil doesn't say what it is, but I suspect that it is alcohol.

Stabil may delay the deterioration of fairly fresh fuel by two, maybe three months at best. It is totally ineffective on fuel that is already marginally old. It has not prevented the fuel in my chainsaws, weedeaters, blowers, mowers, and generators, from going stale over the winter.

Seafoam won't make stale fuel good again, but it will prevent it from getting worse, at least for a season.

This web site is your friend. A user compiled list of ethanol free gas stations.

http://www.pure-gas.org/

Some marinas have lead-free & alcohol free gasoline but that is kind of a hit & miss deal.

This web site is your friend. A user compiled list of ethanol free gas stations.

http://www.pure-gas.org/

Afternoon jzzmusician

Unfortunately there is no actual fuel testing or credibility to the stations listed. Anybody (including the station owner) can add that station even if the gasoline is alcohol laced.

There is one listed not far from me that I know for sure has alcohol in all 3 grades & it is listed as no alcohol for the mid grade.

Some error is probably in good faith as people see no "contains alcohol" sticker on the pump & assume it is alcohol free.

Whatever you decide to use, make sure you run the engine long enough to circulate the gas stabilizer through the fuel system. I KNOW....DUH! But some people do make the mistake of dumping the stabilizer into their fuel without running the engine.

Good for you if you live and ride where real gasoline is available. Here in MA, and most if not all of the northeast it seems, all grades at all stations have up to 10% ethanol. I believe it is mandated by the EPA in high pollution areas, and here in the NE we get everybody else's pollution on the westerly winds. Thanks.

FYI, we had MTBE in our gas for years before they replaced it with ethanol. Seems MTBE is carcinogenic and showed up in drinking water. Way to go, EPA.

BTW, I agree with DR. Most of the stations listed on the pure-gas site are independent-brand stations, and they tend to get whatever fuel is available. That's not necessarily bad, except they have no control of what additives are in the fuel. I'd just assume that, at least sometimes, it's got ethanol.

pete

R1200RT

On topic:

I've used SeaFoam and Stabil over the years and not had a problem with either. I've never stored for more than five months though, so have no long-term storage experience.

Off topic:

MTBE showed up in many aquifers across the country. It was a nice additive from the perspective of adding oxygen only. The chemical migrates too easily through the soil strata to be safely used as a fuel additive.

It wasn't just the EPA that saw the problems, multiple state health and/or environmental departments found MTBE contamination. Do a quick Google search for "MTBE Contamination" or "MTBE Remediation" and you'll see what I'm talking about. California, New Hampshire, Indiana, Illinois, and many other states saw real, measurable contamination from MTBE.

In this case, I thank the EPA for helping to keep MTBE out of my drinking water.

I haven't tried Stabil. Not because I have anything against it. I just haven't tried it. However, I've heard good things about it, especially the marine variety, from bike people and vintage car people as well. What concerns me most is the effects of ethanol on gas tanks (and their linings), F.I. components, and carburetor parts, most especially on my non-F.I. vintage bikes which don't get ridden as often or as far. I started using a mixture of Seafoam and Startron about a year ago. So far, so good.

Richard

Archived