IGNORED

Battery Advice

RockBottom

Morning RockBottom

In most cases the (L) after the battery model number means the (+) post is on the right with both battery posts nearest you.

I know the battery info you furnished shows both the same in the (+) post position but somehow I think the (L) will be different between the 2 batteries.

You really need to call or E-Mail the battery supplier to verify correct (+) battery post position between the 2 batteries you show.

I know you didn't ask this question & if your heart is set on a Westco battery then disregard it.

I used to use Westco batteries almost exclusively but the last few have had sudden & early TOTAL failures so personally I quit using them. Westco doesn't make their own batteries & just re-badges someone else's so you are at the mercy of their current battery suppliers.

Hi. I am on the same boat as DR.

Those batteries look like they would require much more work than the Odyssey/Hawker to fit properly.

If you want to good alternative check out the Yuasa 51913. I know it's not sealed but it's exactly the same size as original and, having fitted it to the bike, provides more starting power than OE.

The only mod you'll have to do is fit a venting tube: all you'll need is a foot of 1/8" tube and a zip tie. It's invisible from the outside.

Morning Kakugo

Isn't the Yuasa 51913 sized for the RT? He has an R not an RT. The R uses a different sized battery than the RT.

The Odyssey PC680 battery is wrong for the R1200R - it uses the same as the R12000GS, in Odyssey a PC535. It does need a bit of trimming of casing edges. I would have a look at this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GBat-BMW-R-1200-GS-Custom-PC535-Odyssey-Battery-/130435104829?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e5e89c03d#ht_1075wt_698

My experience with Westco was not very good either. Not better than a much cheaper Yuasa.

I used to use Westco batteries almost exclusively but the last few have had sudden & early TOTAL failures so personally I quit using them. Westco doesn't make their own batteries & just re-badges someone else's so you are at the mercy of their current battery suppliers.

Interesting. I put a Westco in my previous bike based, in part, on Rob's comments on this page. But I traded it a few months later so never really had a chance to test it.

The PC 535 is cheaper from Amazom.com (around $120.00 including free shipping)

Of the Amazon choices shown I have had good luck using the "Portable Power" vendor (but all the vendors are backed by Amazon). The last few I have bought from "Portable Power" have included the "L brackets (not sure they are needed on the R bike though.

My bad DR. :dopeslap:

In that case the correct Yuasa replacement is the maintenance-free YTX-14BS. Used in many Aprilia's (Falco, Capo Nord etc) and a host of Japanese bikes so pretty good deals to be had.

Afternoon RockBottom

Looks like I gave you some incorrect information.

I just did a little digging at the Westco web site & it seems that on the SVR 14 series the "L" isn't a terminal position indicator but denotes a different battery size & different CCA.

SVR 14L=

Length 6"

Width 3.4375"

Height 6.375"

CCA=230

SVR 14=

Length 5.81"

Width 3.32"

Height 5.88"

CCA=200

By Westco's vehicle usage chart it shows the SVR14 Battery for the 2010 BMW "R" bike.

By comparison the Odyssey PC 535

is:

Length 6.70"

Width 3.90"

Height 6.25"

CCA 200

Archived