IGNORED

BMW charger sale

CoarsegoldKid

Joe -

Thanks for that heads up!

I'm going to be riding into Roseville at about noon, wonder if they will sell me one over the counter?

Hmmm....

Tom

Joe -

Thanks for that heads up!

I'm going to be riding into Roseville at about noon, wonder if they will sell me one over the counter?

Hmmm....

Tom

If not, they have/had a computer terminal for customers' use in the building.

What I have sorta figured out is that it's a great charger and a great price, but is not to be used with a CAN-Bus by charging through the on-board sockets.

Why come it takes a $150 charger to work with CAN-Bus? Sheesh...

Tom

What I have sorta figured out is that it's a great charger and a great price, but is not to be used with a CAN-Bus by charging through the on-board sockets.

Tom

I hope that was a rhetorical question!!

The OP charger is a BMW branded Deltran Battery Tender Plus. This is currently available through Amazon for $41.95 with free shipping and no tax.

LINKY

As for the other charger shown, it is also made by Deltran, is a Battery Tender Plus but incorporates the necessary circuitry to maintain the ZFE controlled accessory socket open so charging can be accomplished without adding a pigtail direct to battery.

Something to think about, it is very easy to put a pigtail in place for direct to battery charging. Heck, the two local BMW dealers I deal with both sell every bike with a pigtail installed so it's already done for ya. The added benefit is that, with the pigtail, you now have a convenient and solid connection for a cycle air pump connection. This is something you can not use the accessory socket for as the current draw is too great and will turn off the accessory socket.

Another use of the pigtail? Heated Gerbing gear (or other manufacturer) as this is not supported through the accessory socket either due to the current draw. Though, the RT is set higher and does work but won't support the air pump as above.

Just food for thought. Either way, the A&S sale is a good deal if you need a tender.

I hope that was a rhetorical question!!

Not really...

...is a Battery Tender Plus but incorporates the necessary circuitry to maintain the ZFE controlled accessory socket open so charging can be accomplished without adding a pigtail direct to battery.

That's about $10 worth of stuff, including IR&D, at the retail level...

Regards,

Ben Dover :(

The charger that's on sale is the one I have been successfully using to charge CanBus bikes for four years now. I just rewired an accessory socket direct to the battery. A lot cheaper than the CanBus charger and no problems whatsoever.

Ponch -

Thanks for that link.

One note, and I offer this quite out of ignorance. As far as I'm concerned this CAN-Bus stuff runs on magic smoke. What I know about it is simply that if you let the smoke out it won't work any more. That said, there's this caution in the service bulletin inked above:

"Attention: Do not use a commercially available charger that runs desulphurization cycles. "

I have the vaguest idea of what a desulpherization cycle is, but no idea why it's bad ju-ju with CAN-Bus.

Tom

Tom

...Something to think about, it is very easy to put a pigtail in place for direct to battery charging. Heck, the two local BMW dealers I deal with both sell every bike with a pigtail installed so it's already done for ya. The added benefit is that, with the pigtail, you now have a convenient and solid connection for a cycle air pump connection. This is something you can not use the accessory socket for as the current draw is too great and will turn off the accessory socket.

I've heard people say that before, but that's definitely not the case with my '06RT. I run my CyclePump air compressor by plugging it into any one of three accessory sockets on my bike. The draw does not turn off the socket. That said, I too connect my battery charger to a pigtail that runs directly to the battery.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the fancy-schmancy $170 BMW Uber-Charger that a member here offered up for $50 a while back. (thanks!)

I also have 4 Powerlet outlets on my RT. 2 are wired to "The System" and 2 are wired directly to the battery.

Whenever I get back from riding, I simply plug the charger into one of the direct-to-battery Powerlets and off it goes.

The charger always stays plugged into the 120VAC.

Works perfectly

I got the new Uber Charger with my 2012 RT. (A nice throw in by the dealer).

I've been reading these posts about what will and wont work with the canbus so I asked the mechanic while I was up getting my 600 mi service done, if I should add a direct wired pigtail.

I don't know if it's Gospel but he told me my air pump would run fine through the accessory port, as would heated gear. I tried the pump and it seemed to work fine, I haven't purchased gerbings yet so I don't know about that.

The directions for the charger are clear that you plug in the bike, then plug in the charger. to disconnect, unplug the charger, then unplug the bike.

The main reason the mechanic gave for their reluctance to wire anything directly to the battery for charging was that any power surge ( lighning type, or transformer situation), could overload and fry much of the bikes system. Perhaps this could be compensated for by an inline fuse. But really, even if it wasn't free I don't think I'd risk any of this on an 18 grand bike over a $150 charger.

I'm just sayin'

The main reason the mechanic gave for their reluctance to wire anything directly to the battery for charging was that any power surge ( lighning type, or transformer situation), could overload and fry much of the bikes system.

I never thought of that possibility, but I can't say that I've ever heard of it happening either. The Battery Tender's ring connector is fused, so the question would be whether the fuse would be sufficient to protect the bike's circuitry.

I personally think the likelyhood of that happening pretty remote. However, a good quality $20 surge protector strip to plug the charger into will pretty much solve this "issue".

As far as the BMW recommended sequence of events regarding plugging in the charger and bike seems questionable (IMO). I have tried it every which way and whether I was plugged into the OEM onboard socket or the direct to battery socket, the charger cycles the same either way.

As I mentioned earlier, my charger stays plugged into the wall outlet at all times and I simply plug it into the direct to battery socket when I park my bike in the garage.

Been working fine for years.

No doubt. All chargers charge. Its how they go about it that makes the difference in battery life.

How many years are you getting out of your batteries?

Something to think about, it is very easy to put a pigtail in place for direct to battery charging. The added benefit is that, with the pigtail, you now have a convenient and solid connection for a cycle air pump connection.

Why didn't I think of that? My air pump has a cigarette lighter connector. I had to buy one of those thingy's you plug the cigarette lighter part into and it has two alligator clips to attach to the battery.

If I cut off the cigarette lighter part and spliced in a pigtail, I wouldn't have to take the seat off to power the pump. !! Hmmm, does it matter which wire is the male or female side of the pigtail?

No doubt. All chargers charge. Its how they go about it that makes the difference in battery life.

How many years are you getting out of your batteries?

My bike is an 05 with 31000 miles. I replaced the original OEM battery about 6 months ago.

Six years and about 28000 miles...not too shabby.

Archived