IGNORED

Motolight LED's

BFish

thinking of replacing the halogens with LED's. bought the 2004RT new and the ML halogens have been on since then with no issues.

Question is, how much brighter are the LED's? Do they throw a larger pattern? I'd like a little more light in front and to the sides. My other option is HID low beam, which may make this a moot point.

thanks.

Brian-

That answer is "it depends." There are a zillion choices for MR16 type LEDs in different colors, beam patterns, and brightness levels. A 6-7 watt bulb is pretty damn bright, and you can try to get a narrow type beam for "spot" coverage. Many online vendors, lighting stores, even Lowe's and Home Depot carry these now.

-MKL

Which Motolights do you have? If they are 35 watt put in 50 watt and see what you think. Like Moshe says, Lowes and Home Depot carry both the Halogen and LED.

Let us know how it works out.

Terry

Brian,

running 50's.

Hard to find beam spread narrower than 15 degrees (sometimes 12) in local stores.

I think you can find 8 degrees on-line.

Works well.

But, I think you were around when David Baker posted the upgrade on his GS w/comparison lighting pics years ago.

The HID upgrade seems to really work.

actually been looking at these HID's

link

I just watched the install video, seems easy enough. There are some for sale that appear to be 55W as opposed to the 35W.

Anyone know if the 15W extra is really worth it?

Yup!

These kits are really plug-n-play. Very simple to install. You just need to figure out where to put the ballast and Hi-Lo controller. They can easily be zip-tied in or one can contrive more elegant ways.

link

I just watched the install video, seems easy enough. There are some for sale that appear to be 55W as opposed to the 35W.

love these instructional videos. beat written narratives to hell. leaning this way.

link

I installed these on my '02 RT, they are the ones that my dealer carries and reccomends.

What a difference they make! I bought the 35W 4500K and can't believe the difference in range of the beam. It is really noticeable when you are riding into say a construction zone with cones or barrels with reflectors.

Install isn't too bad if you have small hands. (I don't)

Take some time and get the beam cutoff height just right. I've never been flashed by anyone in 6 months of riding with this setup.

I also changed the bulbs in my MotoLites to 50W 4300K with 10 degree beam spread.

That was worth every penny as well. Night riding now is a whole new dimension.

thx for the firsthand experience. pretty sure i'm going to have a set up similar to yours. why don't you ride on down to florida and supervise the HID installation!!!

:wave:

Brian. It really is a plug and play install. No wiring changes at all.

One tip is to go to Harbor Freight and pick up a Uni-bit to drill the required hole in the cover to place the grommet in. It drills a nice neat hole. The only other items needed is some silicone to seal the grommet and plenty of zip ties to tie up the ballast and wiring.

If that trip is expenses paid, I'm there!! :clap:

Back to the original question: I use 50W bulbs in my Motolights...but not the ones from Motolight. I found longer-life bulbs HERE and have been very pleased with them. I aim my MotoLights about a quarter-bubble up, which seems to make a significant difference in visibility (I don't think MotoLights help a bit for road illumination), and I never get flashed. I've been asked if I'm using HIDs or even LEDs in the MotoLights.

On a side note: if you find one of your MotoLights is blowing bulbs more frequently, it's highly possible you need a new lead. Call 'em. I explained the problem, they immediately sent me a new lead, and I've been good ever since.

thx for the link...what degree of spread can you get at this place with the 50w??

FYI-the 35w currently in my motolight's are the originals. been running them since late 2004.

The page says 12 degree spot...as I said, I don't use the MLs for better illumination, just for the distracted drivers.

I just have the standard headlight setup. I don't ride a whole lot at night, but I've never thought I needed more headlight illumination, especially using the high beam, but everyone's different.

Guys-

Motolites are pretty lousy at illumination, 35 or 50W versions though obviously 50W is better. Ranked near the bottom of MCN's driving lights comparo for distance illuminated at night. What they're good at is a very conspicuous pattern during the day, which grabs oncoming traffic attention. I have 50W Motolites on my RT, and my friend has 6W spot LEDs on his F650CS. Both stand out well during the day, and neither holds a candle to good driving lights at night. Just FYI....

-MKL

Moshe,

I've read that, and understand the concept.

But, I have had numerous opportunities in the dark to check the Motolights and the PIAA's (1100x).

I use bots dots, retroreflective signage, to see what change(s) having the light(s) on makes.

Now it isn't like putting a huge driving light on, but, I see retroreflective changes out to the limit of my high beams with eithr Motolights/PIAA's.

Not the noonday sun effect, but enough to show things the regular headlights don't and enough to show movement down the road and along the shoulders.

Again, not like midday light, but noticeable enough to matter, IMO.

I would say a good HID setup is the way to go if compatible with the reflector setup on a bike.

I agree that Moto's are great for the conspicuity aspect as are the PIAA's.

When I run high beams and add one or the other of those 2 I still see more along the sides and have fuller lighting down the road.

When I see a sign or bots dot light up a half mile down the road, I have to think there is some benefit from the Moto's or PIAA's and when the road is deserted, frequently, I can run all of them and it is not possible to overdrive the light as it could be with just low beam.

YMMV.

Tim-

Like suspension, you only know how good what you're used to is. It pays to check out a similar bike with a really good set of illuminating lights on it to see what you're missing.

I am of the opinion, after tens of thousands of miles on my 2004 R1150RT (with PIAAs AND Hella driving lights) that the stock setup on my 2009 R1200RT is better than my 1150 headlights with all the sux lights combined. I really put the Motolites on the 1200 for conspicuity and the under-oil-cooler HIDs for the same reason. They don't really do diddly for actual illumination, and the Clearwater Glendas (LED) I tested for MCN, likewise, are conspicuity lights.

You want illumination? Get a set of Lazerstar halogens, or the PIAA cross country / Trail Tech equivalent HIDs, or something of that ilk. They're all huge, bulky, and incredibly illuminating lights that make Motolites seem like holding a match in a dark alley. Check that old MCN test showing various setups at 250 feet - the pics do not lie.

-MKL

I agree

The PIAA 1100 and Motolights are basically obsolete designs anyway- there are far better choices at less $ for both distance and conspicuity.

Been installing light sets since the 1960s on everything I own and have been through many types including 1100s, etc.

Current setup on my RT is a pair of VisionX Solstice 120s on Ezy

mounts under the cooler for conspicuity though they also add to mid range, a set of Hella FF50s wired to the hi beam switch and like thea hi beam, running the 65W Osram H-7 Rally bulb (the best of the bulb upgrade choices for RT headlamps) and a pair of 1offmotorsport HIDs in the low beam slots. Plenty of light for anything though I could swap out the Hella bulbs for HIDs and gain a bit more I suppose.

I have found TrailTech HIDs to be utterly unreliable in sustained use, especially wet weather. NOT recommended. After a couple years of screwing around with bad ballast and multiple bad bulb designs, I removed them to replace with the Solstice lights noted above. The HIDs in the lo beam slots render any possible contribution from TrailTechs moot anyway at far lower cost -as well as much better reliability.

Moshe,

I'm not disagreeing with you per se.

And, I stated the newer setups work better.

But, I ride a 34 mile run of national forest sometimes on the way to work, in the dark.

The extra provided by the Moto's or PIAA's is noticeable.

That is all I'm saying, not that they are the best or better than another new HID design.

i saw the MCN article, yet strangely, I seem to have better anecdotal results.

Perhaps MCN's were aimed dif but I rarely get flashed.

Who knows.

I have fun riding in the dark andsince I rarley ever have an oncoming car, playing with combos of low/hi Moto's/PIAA's.

As a supplement to the low beams I get noticeable extra light.

Again, YMMV.

What I like is I can run them even with oncoming traffic and not get flashed, whilst the big rally style lights would get me flashed.

Trade off I guess.

Best wishes.

went out at o'dark thirty this am. live in a semi rural area. first ride with the 50w in the motolights. from workshop to street is over 300 ft down driveway, pitch black.

noticeable diff with the 50's. agree it may not help down the road a bit, but it more than satisfies my desire for a little more light and spread.

HID will be next project. appreciate all the input.

Guys-

Motolites are pretty lousy at illumination, 35 or 50W versions though obviously 50W is better. Ranked near the bottom of MCN's driving lights comparo for distance illuminated at night. What they're good at is a very conspicuous pattern during the day, which grabs oncoming traffic attention. I have 50W Motolites on my RT, and my friend has 6W spot LEDs on his F650CS. Both stand out well during the day, and neither holds a candle to good driving lights at night. Just FYI....

-MKL

I really like my 35 watt Motolights even at night. They illuminate the shoulders really well. For daytime use, they are GREAT.

The best (and least expensive) spot driving lights I've found, which I had mounted on my 06 R12GS were the HELLA FF50 DRIVING lights. The pair cost just a bit over $100 including wires connectors switch AND relay!!

These suckers throw a beam down the road that is nothing short of spectacular.

Archived