IGNORED

Air Bag the Rider

Kathy R

The sight of the earlier Honda airbag deployed on the bike demonstrates what happens when non-riders make our gear.

But in viewing the air bag on the rider all I can think of is how this would have saved me tremendous pain.

Air Bag the Rider

I thought I saw some thread on this forum highlighting other manufacturers of this type of airbag coat in the past. If it wasn't on this forum it was elsewhere. I like the idea. I wonder is they are reusable after a deployment.

I wonder is they are reusable after a deployment.

After a bad get off, most gear is compromised. I wouldn't expect reuse as an option. My insurer gave me full price for all the gear that I was wearing. The over pants were worn badly at the hip, although you had to really look. The adjuster recognized that given a second use they wouldn't perform optimally.

I wear a Hit-Air vest. It can be reused as long as the bladder is not punctured. It takes a special CO2 cartridge, but you simply unscrew the old one, reset the activator, put in a new cartridge and off you go. These have been used in equestrian events for years, some events even require them for participants. My wife and I have them on in my avatar.

Extremely interesting technology but still needs a few years to come to maturity.

Dainese has a very promising technology (D-Air) which doesn't rely on a crude pull-string but still needs a few finishing touches to be 100% reliable.

:thumbsup:

I've flown off my bike when run over by a drunk truck driver.

That crude technology would've been a blessing.

I've watched their product develop for years.

It seems to work well, is available now, isn't priced the way some of the new technologies were purported to be in the video.

Seems like a good product.

If you can't remember to turn off your turn signals, oops, I mean unhook your safety tether, before getting off the bike, may be some bigger problems for such a rider.

Haven't bought one, yet, but we'll see.

YMMV

The biggest problem with what I have seen first hand at bike shows is this stuff is going to be very warm. No air flow with that big bladder in place.

I would like to see this technology make it's way to bicyclist.

In the past year, two peddling friends have sustained bone breaking get-offs.

The biggest problem with what I have seen first hand at bike shows is this stuff is going to be very warm. No air flow with that big bladder in place.

That's what I was thinking, but I was trying to put out of my mind :grin: Since DFWBo is in Texas...I'm assuming it isn't too much of a problem?

I would like to see this technology make it's way to bicyclist.

In the past year, two peddling friends have sustained bone breaking get-offs.

And I was thinking that too! Pilgrim broke a hip this summer ... and we are getting too old to hit the ground without padding.

Hey Kathy,

I've been off the board a bit and am glad to see you are still active here. I hope you have mended well.

Francis

Hi there Francis. Thank you :wave: Fernando figured typing would be good therapy for me :grin: I can fully type with two hands and the rest of me is coming along. :thumbsup:

I thought I saw some thread on this forum highlighting other manufacturers of this type of airbag coat in the past. If it wasn't on this forum it was elsewhere. I like the idea. I wonder is they are reusable after a deployment.

I think this is the site that was on this forum back in the summer months.

http://www.safermoto.com/products/index.html

I like the Idea hope to never use it of course if I happen to get it in the future but then Hope I never need what I am riding with now!

Several of the Safermoto/HitAir products have either mesh bodies or smaller vests which are basically just enough material to connect the bladder assemblies.

You will get pretty good airflow with either of these.

I have the HitAir YS mesh version which flows enough air to be tolerable for Central CA summers,95-100 plus temps.

When it gets that hot,I'm usually wearing my Veskimo cooling vest anyways!

JR356

Pilgrim broke a hip this summer ...

I did not know that. Sorry to read.

How is Kent doing otherwise?

He reports that he's mended well. It's hard to keep a good man down.

Archived