IGNORED

Information about Lifetime Maps for Garmin Products

Autocom Matt

Garmin recently allowed retailers to sell a Lifetime Map Upgrade for $49.99 with purchase of a GPS unit. This same subscription is $89.99 if purchased later. Some sell it as a separate product, others as an option, and some as a second product.

This is a good step forward.

If you use a GPS a lot in areas of new construction, then I'd say yes. If you mostly ride around well established areas, maybe not so much. (YMMV)

Here's the thing they usually DO NOT clearly point out though....the "Lifetime" they refer to in the Lifetime Maps option, is the lifetime of THAT SPECIFIC GPS unit.

If THAT SPECIFIC GPS dies, your "Lifetime" is OVER!!! (unless you're still under Warranty).

I had an out of warranty unit die a week or so after buying the lifetime thingy and Garmin graciously transferred it to the replacement unit that I bought.

If you use a GPS a lot in areas of new construction, then I'd say yes. If you mostly ride around well established areas, maybe not so much. (YMMV)

Here's the thing they usually DO NOT clearly point out though....the "Lifetime" they refer to in the Lifetime Maps option, is the lifetime of THAT SPECIFIC GPS unit.

If THAT SPECIFIC GPS dies, your "Lifetime" is OVER!!! (unless you're still under Warranty).

I don't see what the problem is here. The price is still less than what used to be paid for a single map upgrade.

I don't see what the problem is here. The price is still less than what used to be paid for a single map upgrade.

Well, it's worth understanding the pros and cons. I think it's a good deal, but I'd also note that a couple of years ago I bought a Garmin with MSN traffic/weather. MSN is dead as of January 1, so those services are no longer available. So, sometimes--in fact, almost always--"lifetime" may be a little more limited than your wildest dreams.

However, I'd also note that these products are advancing pretty quickly. My son just got the latest top of the line car unit from Garmin and it's phenomenal. Route calculations are done instantly and the graphics are great. I'm not sure you'd want to keep one of today's Garmins forever, given how quickly they're improving.

Not true.

My 3-year old Zumo 660 died recently and was replaced under an out of warranty repair exchange (at a 3rd party repair centre here in Canada). When I got the new one I called Garmin and they transferred my long standing lifetime maps subscription to the new serial number without even a pause. (Other than the 20 min. hold time waiting to get them on the phone that is.)

Not true.

My 3-year old Zumo 660 died recently and was replaced under an out of warranty repair exchange (at a 3rd party repair centre here in Canada). When I got the new one I called Garmin and they transferred my long standing lifetime maps subscription to the new serial number without even a pause. (Other than the 20 min. hold time waiting to get them on the phone that is.)

Garmin's customer service is top notch. I had two Rino 120's that I would ride with on my road bicycle (not at the same time), and both would shut down with any type of heavy vibrations. They were purchased at the same time and were well over two years out of warranty. I contacted Garmin, they had me ship them both units and replaced them with two new units.

Yep, their customer service is awesome.

Not true.

Obviously YMMV

HOWEVER, here is the ACTUAL wording from Garmin's website, so Caveat Emptor (buyer beware)

¹If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime™ subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive up to four (4) map data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on Garmin’s website, for one (1) compatible Garmin product until your product’s useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map data from its third party supplier, whichever is shorter.

¹If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime™ subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive up to four (4) map data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on Garmin’s website, for one (1) compatible Garmin product until your product’s useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map data from its third party supplier, whichever is shorter.

Again, What is the worry?

A single update under the prior system cost more than the lifetime updates in the new system. Assuming one performs a single update, the rest is just gravy. However long that may be...

No worries for me whatsoever.

If a GPS lasts a couple 2 or 3 years, I'll be in the market for a "new" to me Garmin factory refurbished unit with full accessories and warranty from any one of numerous sources out there.

I bought my most recent Nuvi 855 with the latest mapset for $79 shipped and no tax.

No way to go wrong there.

+1 on that. I've had mine transfer in warranty and out of it. Just don't ask on a 6 year old device. Also, maps are only published quarterly.

the "Lifetime" they refer to in the Lifetime Maps option, is the lifetime of THAT SPECIFIC GPS unit.

If THAT SPECIFIC GPS dies, your "Lifetime" is OVER!!!

And per person. If you sell your used unit to a stranger, they will not be able to get your lifetime maps.

FYI, it is simply a number on a piece of cardboard.

The purpose of the post wasn't whether someone should update there maps or not. I just didn't want anyone to buy one then later update the maps (even just one-time update) and pay more because they didn't know about this product.

Archived