IGNORED

Langlitz Leathers

elkroeger

I recently read THIS little article on Langlitz Leathers. I'd never heard of them before. Very interesting. Not my style, exactly, but I just have to stop by the next time I'm in Portland. I really enjoy local, hand-crafted products. Anyone here have any?

No affiliation, etc.

Langlitz.com

When I lived far away from Portland and didn't have the money to buy such things anyway, I dreamed of having one of their jackets. Now I drive by the shop all the time and - sort of - could afford one, but I live with a vegetarian, and while she wouldn't complain about it, she also wouldn't snuggle as close if I were wrapped in a dead animal. Sigh.

I do stop by the shop, which is pretty tiny, from time to time just to visit what's on display.

josh

I'm the proud owner of a Langlitz Columbia jacket. It was built for me in 1980. The only problem, I've outgrown it in the last 31 years. It is so well made, I think it will last forever. I guess I should sell it, I don't think I'll ever be able to lose enough weight to wear it again. Hooray for the Langlitz people, definitely Made In the USA!

I have friends in Portland who live only a half mile away from Langlitz. Stopped in there on my last trip out there. Super nice people. They gave me the grand tour and, even though I told them I wasn't in the market, took my measurements and are keeping them on file. I did buy a belt and a tool pouch which both look as if they will last about a hundred years.

...I don't think I'll ever be able to lose enough weight to wear it again....

I think I saw on their website something about getting your old jacket re-tailored to fit, or trading in your old jacket for a fresh one... It might have been a dream I had the other night, but maybe worth looking into.

...I don't think I'll ever be able to lose enough weight to wear it again....

I think I saw on their website something about getting your old jacket re-tailored to fit, or trading in your old jacket for a fresh one... It might have been a dream I had the other night, but maybe worth looking into.

Not a dream - they offer both those services.

Langlitz really are the best built leathers in the world. I've been riding in them for about a decade now. I got mine in the supple goat skin, but you can also get them in several weights of cow and special order horse hide.

I got a padded Columbia with a cossack collar. I also have a nice Vanson jacket. The build quality on the Langlitz is much higher than the Vanson and the Vanson is good. This may just be hyperbole but a Langlitz is almost infinitely better than any leather jacket made in China or Crapistan.

They are not cheap at around a grand, but will last you near a life time. They also have used ones at the shop and you can find them cheap on Ebay. I had a friend find a pair of Langliz pants at the local Goodwill store for $25. After he bought them he informed the whole staff that they were suckers and laughed maniacally.

Dave and John are both great guys, and Langlitz has some of the best customer service I have ever witnessed.

Once you slip into that custom made jacket and zip it up you feel nearly bullet proof.

So even if you don't buy anything from them and just want to smell the leather, if you are ever in Portland, it is a kind of motorcycle Mecca of sorts and is worth a stop and tour.

Archived