IGNORED

Wrist Rest

stphnchnr

Evening stphnchnr

Well, it depends on what you expect from it.

If just using it to hold the throttle for a bit while you quickly relax your hand, or to allow you to zip up your coat, or to adjust your helmet then it will do that just fine.

If you are looking at it as a cruise control going down the road then you will be greatly disappointed.

I ran those type of throttle locks on most of my older road bikes & they are handy to lock the throttle for a short hand removal but certainly not a substitute for a real cruise control.

Evening Eric

That is a wonderful little (cheap to buy ) device. I wouldn't be without one even on my RT with electronic cruise control.

Some claim that their jacket cuff hangs up on the device thus preventing the throttle from fully returning when required.

Not always but often in real tight twistys, I will lift my hand momentarily off the throttle just to insure full retraction.

You (or anyone else reading this) may find that you desire to back it off a bit before you hit the tight technical stuff as well.

The very first slab (sustained speed/freeway) ride on my 03 RT convinced me that I had to try something for relief.

That was over 83k miles ago.

I'd recommend you check into which direction is reuired to engage and disengage the device. The wrist rest that was on my '00 1100RT is of the type that requires you to turn it away from you to engage; meaning you are trying to twist it in the opposite direction of keeping the throttle open. It was such a pain in the ***, I removed it from my bike and installed my antique Vista cruise along with the OEM bar ends.

btw, if you still want to give one a try; I'll let mine go considerably cheaper than a new one.

You may consider something like this.

Some swear by them (me) & others swear at them.

it's cheep enough to give it a try.

It's going to be a long winter so we need a thread debating the Crampbuster versus the Throttle Rocker.

I'm in the "swear by them" camp. Can't ride without it.

My R11RT had a Bob's when I got it, and removing it was one of the first things I did. As stated before, the Bob's seems to me to be counter-intuitive. Unlike the Throttlemeister which rolls in the direction of throttle-on to set, the Bob's is turned opposite the direction of throttle-on to set. Some swear by it, it just didn't do it for me. I installed a throttle rocker, Audiovox cruise, and a Universal Vista throttle lock and would recommend each. They serve different purposes and even after carpal tunnel surgery I find they're very useful. Of course this was on an R11RT, you may find the cruise more trouble than it's worth on a 12.

Some claim that their jacket cuff hangs up on the device thus preventing the throttle from fully returning when required.---

Morning Eric

While I haven't EVER had this happen with any of mine I can sort of see how the original long ones (or some of the off brand extra long ones) could do that if not adjusted high enough to stay tight to the palm on decel.

Most of the newer ones are much shorter than the originals so they easily clear a cost cuff.

I have used those things since they came on the market but on the old long ones I have always cut them shorter (not for the cuff catching issue but more for ease of use & not bumping them out of adjustment)

I had Bob's on an 1150RT and it was NOT great. I had a Kaoko on my GS Adventure at it was much better. Easier to set and release. Still not nearly as good as a real cruise control but on long flat stretches on interstate, they do help a lot.

I have one of the original earlier throttle rockers prior to the crampbuster lawsuit. I wouldn't do without it. That being said, I also love having the cruise. One of the reason I have not made the switch to a GS is the lack of cruise control. I don't use it all that often, but when I do.. ahhh...

Throttle counter-force spring is the best solution. See URL below. But do not fool with TB springs.

Throttle is stupidly small diameter so as to look nice. Wrap with rubberized cork bicycle handlebar tape to enlarge. Even one layer of wrap will make a big difference. Use barrel shape.

Ben

My first *cruise control* on my 02RT was an O Ring This was suggested to me by BES while out West on my way back to Chicago. Slipping this ring all the way onto the grip and letting it nest between the grip and the hard plastic stop was an inexpensive and readily available hand saver. I kept a few in my tank bag in the event I inadvertently allowed one to roll off at speed and needed another. It is easy to roll the throttle against the pressure of the ring, but left alone the ring will hold the throttle open. I used it when I had to slab. I'm not sure if the nesting spot is there on newer bikes, but it worked swell on the 2002.

I'd highly recommend the Throttle Rocker (NOT the Throttle Rocker II) It's easy to change position while underway, without having to stop. It's inexpensive and functional, two of my favorite things.

Also, if you currently use a Rocker of some sort try sliding it up to the stop, so that you are pressing it with your inner palm. It's a nice change up and allows more flexibility for folks with large hands. Sometimes the rocker, when positioned on the end of the bar, can get in the way. I've also flipped it backwards and slipped it up to the stop, pressing it with my thumb. Yeah, I get bored on long trips. :D

I ended the boredom by riding with Mark K and fixed the hand cramping by replacing the throttle with an on/off switch.

It has 2 settings Oh my God and Thank God.

I ended the boredom by riding with Mark K and fixed the hand cramping by replacing the throttle with an on/off switch.

It has 2 settings Oh my God and Thank God.

He and I were riding up to Beaver Damn one day (I needed new tires) and as we were flying along he pulled up on my right and patted my throttle hand :grin:

I have the throttle rocker, and have used it for years. I also have the Catapillar O-ring to let me take my hand off once in a while....cheapest accessory in town. $1 and $1.25 for shipping. I buy a bunch at once and give them to others on rides. I got my my orings from Tornado Heavy Equipment, 907 Bunker Hill, Medina, Ohio 44256. Cat Silicone ORing 8M4991 - Motorcycle Throttle Lock $1.00 each, $1.25 shipping when I bought them. I got 5 for a total of $6.25.

Good Luck,

.. I also have the Catapillar O-ring to let me take my hand off once in a while....cheapest accessory in town. $1 and $1.25 for shipping.

Looks like they had a price increase but still a lot cheaper when I picked one up at the local Cat dealer.

I have the wrist rest on my RT, and don't use it - difficult to adjust the nut while riding and I fidget with the throttle position anyway to keep the speed constant with normal up/down slope of the roadway. I have throttle rockers on 2 outher bikes and use them effortlessly and without notice. Of course an electronic cruise would be best but few of us are rich enough to even suggest that. The clip on gadgets, like the rocker are cheap enough to try. You might see if a friend has one to let you try for a long ride. Good luck with your choice.

Wondering if anyone has had experience with wrist rest like this one from Bob's BMW?

* Benefits

* Draw backs, disadvantages, dangers

* Experience with same or similar product

* Recommendation for another product

http://store.bobsbmw.com/product/wrist-rest-for-r1200gs--adventure-r1200st

I thought you were talking about something else. The thing from Bob's is very similar to a Throttlemeister, a farkle that is widely used in the BMW community.

I have a Throttlemeister (it came with my used R1100RT), and it's helpful, but I also use a wrist rest, which is something that clamps on to the handlebar grip. I have used a Crampbuster,

throttle.jpg

but I prefer the Kuryakyn Throttle Boss, which is made from rubber:

6251.jpg

Although a Throttlemeister came with my RT, I actually prefer the cheaper and simpler Vista-Cruise Vista-Cruise, which can be activated/de-activated without removing my hand from the throttle.

I always loose the damn part number. I gave my last 2 orings away on Sunday's shop ride with the guys from Cycle Specialties (Modesto). I had the invoice in the bike, so posted, so had quick access to my info today. Unfortunately, I had a energy drink explode in my rear case on the ride, so all my paperwork is now paper mache.

I always loose the damn part number.

.......all my paperwork is now paper mache.

I've gone paperless.

I just cut then paste the address bar of a site of interest in the body of an email to myself & then file it in my email account under bike stuff.

Crampbuster sued Throttle Rocker?

Yep.. Crampbuster owned the patent for the way it works by applying pressure on the throttle when you rotate it CCW and then you could spin it freely rotating it clockwise. Throttlerocker came out with the same product but it had a better shape. That is why there is a Throttle Rocker 2 that has a velcro strap instead.

I love the way the old throttle rocker worked plus to me it had a superior shape vs the crampbuster. I've now moved mine across three different bikes. If it ever breaks, I'll be pretty sad since I can't GET a replacement for it! :)

(note.. anyone have one of the original throttle rockers they want to sell me for a backup?)

(note.. anyone have one of the original throttle rockers they want to sell me for a backup?)

Nope

(It's my only back up for going on 9 years & 80+k)

I've had mine for 9 years. Insert pry from my cold dead hands quote here. I have no idea if it is better or worse than the rest, but I just love the folklore that goes with it!

Crampbuster sued Throttle Rocker?

Yep.. Crampbuster owned the patent for the way it works by applying pressure on the throttle when you rotate it CCW and then you could spin it freely rotating it clockwise. Throttlerocker came out with the same product but it had a better shape. That is why there is a Throttle Rocker 2 that has a velcro strap instead.

I love the way the old throttle rocker worked plus to me it had a superior shape vs the crampbuster. I've now moved mine across three different bikes. If it ever breaks, I'll be pretty sad since I can't GET a replacement for it! :)

Actually, when the suit went down I bought a few or so of the original Throttle Rockers.

Put away for safe keeping.

Not sure I'm in a selling mood but will think about it.

Actually, when the suit went down I bought a few or so of the original Throttle Rockers.

Put away for safe keeping.

Not sure I'm in a selling mood but will think about it.

If you DO get in a selling mood, please contact me ASAP! I live in fear that mine will break! . I would love to have a backup!

I actually bought one of the crampbusters and tried it out, but ended up giving it away as I did not care for the shape.

Archived