IGNORED

Assisted GPS on smartphone versus GPS device

Peter Parts

Gotta admit, I am hesitant about GPS gizmos (including my three year-old Tom Tom). But just bought a HTC T-Mobile G2 smartphone with GPS assisted by the wizards at Google and I'm impressed.

Great tricks like you speak the address and it figures what location you are talking about. Nice for riding,

Is that kind of Android/Google GPS the state-of-the-art? Is it a data-download hog, calling on data downloads all the time?

Glad to learn GPS wisdom from the elders of this forum or good links.

Ben

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer a dedicated GPS that is ruggedized and waterproofed and mounted on the bike. I'm not sure I want to put my cell phone (right now a Droid X2) in a cradle mount attached to the bike somewhere and give it lots of vibration therapy. Especially if I need that cell phone to call a tow truck or ambulance (God forbid).

That said, I have no problem pulling over to the side of the road and consulting my Google GPS map to search for something that my Garmin can't seem to find. I find that the GPS system in the phone is certainly a bit more up-to-date and possibly more accurate than my old 2720.

Just my 2cts. worth,

Mark

I am in a similar position.

I bought a Garmin phone: it's Android based like the HTC and, at least compared to my previous Nokia, the GPS is a true marvel.

Since I only use the GPS as a "last resort" (for example for navigating through an unknown city) it's enough for me. I am more of a map type...

But if I really wanted to use a GPS all the time I'd go for a proper bike unit, like a Zumo. Rugged, waterproof, relies on satellites alone, can be used with gloves on...

I use both. Pull off the road and smartphone to find something local or an address that my old 2610 doesn't know (I'll upgrade someday).

But the ability to make sophisticated, multi-point, long distance routes on 2-lane roads using Mapsource ... and then just GO without any concern about where or when to turn ... provides me with endless hours (days actually) of exploration. I can focus on the ride, safety, local color ... all the good stuff. The navigation is already done.

Without Mapsource (or evquivalent multi-point routing software) a GPS is just a 'find-it' tool ... with real routing capability, it opens up a wide range of possibilities.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer a dedicated GPS that is ruggedized and waterproofed and mounted on the bike. ..... I find that the GPS system in the phone is certainly a bit more up-to-date and possibly more accurate than my old 2720. Just my 2cts. worth, Mark

I just will point out that the 2720 uses the City Navigator NT maps which are still being updated. You can subscribe to lifetime updates or purchase a one-time update for your 2720. I ride with a still usable 2610 which no longer gets map updates but I keep a 2720 as a spare and I just bought a new map for it.

I have both, but up in the mountains, the cell phone GPS stops working if you don't have cell reception. It has to download maps as you ride. I found a solution for Android. I downloaded a GPS program called "CoPilot Lite" It is free, and they have an inexpensive full version you can download as well. CoPilot downloads all the maps in advance to your memory card. I have a 32 gig memory, so that isn't a problem. I still have my Garmin, but it is nice to know I have other options if one screws up.

Good Luck,

Dave

Note - Garmin at least has a GPS app for IOS that pulls the full maps down to the phone. When running this, you don't need a cell data connection.

However, I just use that for a backup. I don't want to have to worry about rain on the bike...

The gps on the Android phone I have sucks the battery dead pretty quickly if I use it for turn-by-turn. If I was going to use it on the bike, I'd figure out a way to power it from the bike. It is better at giving directions than the Garmin, but I can't plan routes with it.

The gps on the Android phone I have sucks the battery dead pretty quickly if I use it for turn-by-turn. If I was going to use it on the bike, I'd figure out a way to power it from the bike. It is better at giving directions than the Garmin, but I can't plan routes with it.

I have a small BT GPS reciever that pairs to my HTC Desire HD. It will run for several days without a charge, it's SiRF chipset makes it's time to first fix (TTFF) a fraction of the Android's own GPS and the draw by the BT connection is small

I have talked to SOOOO many people who have grudgingly admitted to me that with all the doo-dahs on their phones today and all the use of these doo-dahs, when the time comes to actually use the stinkin' phone AS A PHONE, it's a no-go, the battery's gone.

DUH!!!!!!

All very interesting. Thanks.

But still wondering about how much data the phone GPS uses? Does it call for downloads repeatedly without a by-your-leave? Becomes a big issue when you are "roaming" in another country and data bits become costly.

Ben

The Tom Tom app on my 3Gs iPhone does not download data, it merely interacts with the satellite system. My maps are downloaded during regular updates. I run a Mophie as a battery charger but have an in-car kit for driving and run it from the cigarette lighter plug. With the Mophie and the iPhone fully charged, I can get about 6 hours before it goes flat.

I have a very expensive Blaupunkt system built into my VW which isn't half the system that the Tom Tom is on the iPhone. I tend to use the iPhone instead of the built in. As far as I can tell, my iPhone uses more data on a trip interacting with the broadcasting towers. That sucks power also, but little to no data.

Linz :)

But still wondering about how much data the phone GPS uses?

It depends upon you smart phone navigation app. Some, as mentioned, don’t download maps ‘on the fly’ so to speak consuming your data stream, others do. On the negative side of that paradigm I have an Android phone that the GPS nav app has to have an open data stream to Google Maps to function. It’s a data stream pig. I have another app that reports what app is pulling what from my Internet connection so I can see what it’s doing. Using the nav app for a couple hours around town can easily chew up 20G of steaming. (And a LOT of battery.)

I know there are other Android GPS nav apps out there, but I still prefer my dedicated GPS (a Zumo) for ease of use, bigger better screen, complex routing capabilities, better audio voice prompts, battery life, etc.

Archived